Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

I've noticed a bug in DOOM retro v1.8.5 with sector type 11 which ends the level once you drop below 11% health. Normally it would reset your inventory but in DOOM retro it will send you to the next level as a walking corpse unable to pick up items or awaken enemies and still retains your inventory.

I have included a wad file which will reproduce this bug: here

The other day I noticed a minor glitch in the Icarus skill level selection:

As you can see the skill selector extends past the left side of the screen and bleeds on the right side. Just wanted to let you know :)

sgt dopey said:

...sector type 11 which ends the level once you drop below 11% health. Normally it would reset your inventory but in DOOM retro it will send you to the next level as a walking corpse unable to pick up items or awaken enemies and still retains your inventory...

vesperas said:

...As you can see the skill selector extends past the left side of the screen and bleeds on the right side...

Thanks for these reports, guys.

I have an issue where any time I try to turn down the music, it turns down the sound effects as well.
There's no way to get them well balanced, as the music always drowns out the sound.
Is there any way to fix this?

The Civ said:

I have an issue where any time I try to turn down the music, it turns down the sound effects as well.
There's no way to get them well balanced, as the music always drowns out the sound.
Is there any way to fix this?

There's an issue with SDL/SDL2 and General MIDI on Windows Vista and above that causes this to happen, unfortunately. To get around this, you can install Timidity++ or try VGA's earlier suggestion:

VGA said:

I'm on Windows 8.1 and I installed VirtualMIDISynth:
http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

Then to make it the default midi device I had to change this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\devenum 64-bit\{4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B}\Default MidiOut Device
Info here:
http://pcaudiohelp.com/how-to-change-the-default-midi-device-in-vista-and-window-7/

Then I got Patch93's SC-55 soundfont 1.9 from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/59vbyllqgc2n6oy/AACrYfUlaZt4itdzCvQArXBTa?dl=0

and I unpacked it into a sf2 (using that SFPack utility in that dropbox folder) and added it to VirtualMIDISynth.

And NOW Doom Retro has proper music and I can adjust the volume through VirtualMIDISynth's mixer (ctrl-alt-m). Normally you cannot adjust the music volume AT ALL on Vista and higher.

Icarus: Alien Vanguard, start of map01

Crispy Doom:

DOOM Retro:

In DOOM Retro only the weapon is shadowed. Is this intended? Thanks

P.S. Is version 1.9 almost ready? :)

vesperas said:

Icarus: Alien Vanguard, start of map01...In DOOM Retro only the weapon is shadowed. Is this intended? Thanks

P.S. Is version 1.9 almost ready? :)

No, that's certainly a problem. Thanks. I'll check it out. And v1.9 isn't too far away...

Hi all,

DOOM Retro v1.9 is now available for download here. It includes a significant amount of changes this time, the most significant being the ability to display the automap on a second screen, a different method to scale up the display, a shake effect when damaged, and mp3/ogg support.

The screen shake is a rather nice subtle and unexpected effect.

Thanks for the mp3/ogg support. Now I can play with the psx and d64 soundtracks.

I liked it when the player sounds had random pitch too though.

EDIT: Having a slight issue with the mp3 music. I put together a d64 music wad and for some reason, the intro cuts right out when it starts. Not sure why. the other tracks seem to work fine. they are in 64kbps bitrate. The D_DM2TTL music mp3 just doesn't seem to wanna play at the start.

Believe I found a bug. Was playing through map 01 of eternal doom and in the room with the two computer terminals on each side, the textures on the main panel are warping like they are liquid.

Brad if the alternate HUD is close to final (aesthetically) can you post a preview screenshot? 😀

Brewtal_Legend said:

EDIT: Having a slight issue with the mp3 music. I put together a d64 music wad and for some reason, the intro cuts right out when it starts. Not sure why. the other tracks seem to work fine. they are in 64kbps bitrate. The D_DM2TTL music mp3 just doesn't seem to wanna play at the start.

Believe I found a bug. Was playing through map 01 of eternal doom and in the room with the two computer terminals on each side, the textures on the main panel are warping like they are liquid.

Thanks for this. I'll investigate the problem with the MP3 support, and have an exception for those textures you mention in the next version.

VGA said:

Brad if the alternate HUD is close to final (aesthetically) can you post a preview screenshot? 😀

Like this? :)

I think part of the issue with the mp3 playing on the intro track is because it is actually playing too fast. The original track I was using was barely a minute long. I tried changing the track, which was a longer one, and noticed it was playing at a sped up speed much faster than it normally should have been. All opening title mp3's I have tried are playing too fast in doom 2. Playing with the psxmus music wad from the psx tc also results in all music playing too fast. The title and intermission when playing ultimate doom are most noticeable.

I don't know if this is a dumb question, but how do you change the lighting or contrast in Doom Retro?

JXC said:

I don't know if this is a dumb question, but how do you change the lighting or contrast in Doom Retro?

Townsend said:

The only way to adjust the contrast is to press F11 until you find the gamma correction that looks right to you

Or you can open the console with the ~ key and change the r_gamma cvar.

jmickle66666666 said:

Hey, is it possible to define my own flats as liquid (for the bobbing effect)? Some definition lump in the wad or something?

At this stage, except for the rock animations present in the original IWADs, (as well as a few exceptions in some popular PWADs), all animated flats are treated as liquids.

Idea: If you're playing full screen without status bar, as armor takes damage, it'd be cool if it ripped away slowly until totally gone at 0%. Like maybe at 85% bullet holes appear, 50% ripped and blood stains, 25% scratched and mangled, etc.

Probably very late to the party with this one but I'll mention it anyway. The music playback seems mangled with some (not all) MIDI files; they play back at the wrong speed and/or cause the engine to gracelessly crash.

Here:
Music for my dumb project that makes DR explode for some reason. D_E1M5 in particular really doesn't like co-operating. Is it down to using a mix of MIDI and MUS files in one project? Because that really shouldn't be an issue; every other port I've used for map testing plays music back without issue.

BaronOfStuff said:

Probably very late to the party with this one but I'll mention it anyway. The music playback seems mangled with some (not all) MIDI files; they play back at the wrong speed and/or cause the engine to gracelessly crash.

Here:
Music for my dumb project that makes DR explode for some reason. D_E1M5 in particular really doesn't like co-operating. Is it down to using a mix of MIDI and MUS files in one project? Because that really shouldn't be an issue; every other port I've used for map testing plays music back without issue.

Thanks for the report. I'll look into it with the example you've provided.

EDIT: It seems some recent changes I've made to the music code since the release of DR v1.9 fixes this problem, and the best I can tell, the music in your wad play fine (including D_E1M5).

*please delete*

First of all Thanks for a great Doom port! Nothing really to add here))) But why did you change the monster infighting system....I mean imp vs imp and etc. it brakes the balance and what's the point....to make doom better? I don't get it. And is it possible to get back vanilla infightings back? I didn't find any clue how to do this((

Thanks!

id.dav said:

First of all Thanks for a great Doom port! Nothing really to add here))) But why did you change the monster infighting system....I mean imp vs imp and etc. it brakes the balance and what's the point....to make doom better? I don't get it. And is it possible to get back vanilla infightings back? I didn't find any clue how to do this((

Thanks!

Are you sure? I'm using the older version because I'm continuing a savegame but there shouldn't be any changes like this. Unless it's a bug.

VGA said:

Are you sure? I'm using the older version because I'm continuing a savegame but there shouldn't be any changes like this. Unless it's a bug.

Absolutely! Ver. 1.9 Happened many times..imps attacking imps...hellknights attacking barons.
Well if it's a bug, then it sucks((

id.dav said:

Absolutely! Ver. 1.9 Happened many times..imps attacking imps...hellknights attacking barons.
Well if it's a bug, then it sucks((

I'm unable to replicate this bug (and a bug it would be). I guess you're not referring to the infighting that occurs while the player is dead. Are you able to vidcap this happening? Or perhaps let me know of a specific part in a wad so I can see for myself?