Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doohnibor

Doom in Unity?

Does anyone know if Doom has been "ported" to Unity yet?

I'd love to take a look at it... especially the game mechanics AI etc. and try to learn a bit.

There's probably a copyright problem... but maybe someone did just the Shareware part.

If there's no such thing released... does anyone know something that comes close?

The only thing I have found so far is this... http://gamejolt.com/games/unity-doom-tech-demo/82004 but it's not exactly what I had in mind.

Thanks!

There was that IMPES thing that let you build maps in UDMF format and then run them in Unity. I think that's the entire extent of it, though.

Jaxxoon R said:

There was that IMPES thing that let you build maps in UDMF format and then run them in Unity. I think that's the entire extent of it, though.

Thanks Jaxxoon R. The Map part is actually not what I'm interested in most, since it's quite easy to do. But still good to know. I'll look it up.

What would be REALLY interesting though is the "game" itself... the enemies etc... the whole game logic.. and being able to edit and extend it ; )

If I recall correctly, there were a couple of attempts at doing "Doom recreations" in Unity, but as the name says, those were exactly that: recreations. In addition, none went past the stage of showcasing a painstakingly converted level and maybe a single monster. Just like many similar projects (e.g. making high-quality models or hi-res sprites), the main bottleneck is that it's simply too much work for a one-man team to convert and edit every asset by hand.

Now, a source port which used Unity as a middleware for rendering, converted assets on-the-fly etc. would be far more interesting, IMO, but it would also require coding skills that, by definition, are somewhat lacking by someone who chooses Unity as their primary development platform "in order to focus only on game design, not coding".

If people have ported it to GameMaker, Unity will show up. Resident Evil has a spin off game coming to Unity. Probably the best Unity thing I've ever seen. Surprised major publishers are taking it seriously.

I'd be careful with the use of the term "ported" here. It tends to have a very specific meaning, at least in the Doom community, and is often opposite in meaning to "recreation", "look-alike", "similar game", "emulation", etc.

And no, for that matter, nobody has ported Doom to GameMaker.

It would've been nice if the link didn't automatically download it. But yeah I can't really see a way of doing this that doesn't involve directly ripping assets from the IWAD. But then again the Garry's Mod Doom mod uses the IWAD in the Source engine so what do I know?

SavageCorona said:

It would've been nice if the link didn't automatically download it.....

Sorry for that. This is better: http://gamejolt.com/games/unity-doom-tech-demo/82004
Just fixed the link in the first post.
The AI is basically non existent in this release. (just in case you're stuck at the first door... open is mapped to E)

The only way around the copyright problem probably would be something like what was done in the DOOM64 port. The game assets were not in the release. You had to have the rom. Everything was extracted and converted prior to first run if I remember correctly.

Doohnibor said:

Did anyone figure out to convert Wads to Objs with this?

Easy:
1. Download the program.
2. Open a map in GZDoom Builder, then select File -> Export -> Selection to Wavefront .obj.

Spoiler

Step 1 is optional.