Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brewtal_Legend

Classic FPS for Halloween?

This is not a "which is better" thread as so many others have done. At least it is certainly not intended to be. Just for fun, Wondering which others would prefer to play for Halloween? Curious what others would prefer between Doom/64/psx, Blood, or Quake? Even others. I think Nosferatu and Undying would also be very good choices. In particular I'm wondering about these specific classic 3.

Personally, I think I will be going through Blood again this year for Halloween. I think it embodies horror and the theme and atmosphere of Halloween the most.

I'll probably squeeze in some Nosferatu as well since I feel it is one of the scariest action based fps around. Even though it is quite glitchy but still one of the first roguelike fps around as far as I know.

Blood gets my vote for classic Halloween fps though.

(p.s. sorry if this isn't quite the right spot to put this thread. wasn't totally sure and it is doom related.)

Would any of the STALKER games be appropriate? I know they aren't exactly horror based but they do contain mutants. Otherwise the FEAR games would be alright.

I'm gonna go with Blood, too, it's a classic parody of horror movies.

Of course, for cartoony cliche horror icons, Nitemare 3D is full of them. Witches, mummies, bats, skeletons, etc. =P

I'm currently on the second expansion for F.E.A.R. after that I'll be doing the sequel, they seem fitting choices for the season.

Painkiller has become by Halloween staple for some reason. Probably BooH's Orphanage level factoring heavily into that. :P

Y'know, it'd be really cool to have a really cheesy, Halloween-themed standalone FPS for ZDoom or based on a modified Chocolate Doom / PrBoom. Would certainly be filling a niche that doesn't have much competition.

MrDeAD1313 said:

Anyone remember Realms Of The Haunting?

Realms of the Haunting was a really great one. The only downside I felt was the somewhat cumbersome control scheme. Otherwise, really great.

MetroidJunkie said:

Of course, for cartoony cliche horror icons, Nitemare 3D is full of them. Witches, mummies, bats, skeletons, etc. =P

As goofy as that game is, it's a perfect match for Halloween. The cheesy enemies and cliché haunted houses/graveyards creates a fairly nice and enjoyable spooky atmosphere. In fact i might just give it play through myself.

Blood is a no brainer for sure.

So Hexen: Beyond Heretic is turning 20 this Halloween season Here is a link to a form I posted about it

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/74844-hexen-20-year-anniversary/

If you are looking for fantasy style these might be up your alley:

Witchaven
Ziggurat

But if you are looking for scary as hell these games might be what you are looking for:

Fear
Clive Bakers Undying

Clive Bakers Undying! A good suggestion. That game really scared me back in the day.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is pretty spooky. It has a lot of survival and stealth, but it's in first person and you shoot monsters and stuff. Although I highly recommend downloading some bug fixing patches for it, because some parts of the game can be broken by bugs. But otherwise it's a really fun, spooky game.

MrDeAD1313 said:

Blood's the game for me. For some strange reason, Christmas time is more of my Doom season.

...Wow. that actually makes sense!
Doom-Merry Christmas, Hellspawn! I got presents right HERE!
Blood-Happy Halloween, Undead! Take this dynamite and SHOVEL IT!

My answer would be Doom1/2 PWADs, as always. If only official unmodded games were an option, it would be Quake, Shadow Warrior, or Final Doom : Plutonia Experiment.

Just play some nice classic dungeon crawlers. Nothing better than not knowing what horrible creature is only four moves away.

This is the most horrifying FPS of all fucking time. There is no competition. Turn your sound down a bit the assets are loud and the guy's emulator is a bit buggy.

Also interesting note that it uses the Doom pain sound for medkits

SavageCorona said:

This is the most horrifying FPS of all fucking time. There is no competition. Turn your sound down a bit the assets are loud and the guy's emulator is a bit buggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc3CSHGr9W8

Also interesting note that it uses the Doom pain sound for medkits

Holey moley I had this on a PS1 demo disc. I only played it a few times back then because it was freaky. The best Net Yaroze thing was that Mario clone where you have to keep going down to dodge the spiked ceiling.