Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ashstrodamus

Ash vs Evil Dead

Groovy! I can't wait, looks freakin' incredible. About time Bruce was unleashed to deliver the goods in such abundance, after being the sidekick on Burn Notice for so long.

I ONLY saw the trailers for this yesterday and it gave me mix impressions. My negative concerns were that it may try too hard to over-reference the previous movies and quite simply become a sad comedy begging us to remember the old days. But hey, Army of Darkness was amazing and it has a shit load of self referencing content.

The positive is the puppetry and style seems very true to the older movies as well. It's a mix of brutal, wacky, amateur and epicness all in one movie.

Didn't Bruce Campbell say he was too old to play Ash anymore? Ka-ching.

Cynicism aside, I'm confident that it will be a magnificently gory, tongue-in-cheek, awesome show. Looking forward to it.

They were trying to make a 4th movie where he's in the future and the present.

Chu said:

Evil Dead -> Evil Dead 2 -> AoD.

I rank them 2 > AoD > 1. I love Bruce's comedy, and the black comedy zaniness of Raimi as well. I think I'll rank this show above perhaps the known universe, here's hoping.

PsychoGoatee said:

I rank them 2 > AoD > 1. I love Bruce's comedy, and the black comedy zaniness of Raimi as well. I think I'll rank this show above perhaps the known universe, here's hoping.

1 and 2 are kinda a toss up for me. Some days I prefer 2, some days 1.

PsychoGoatee said:

I rank them 2 > AoD > 1.

Same for me. Willing to give the show a good chance considering the right people are involved, hope it's good.

Chu said:

Evil Dead -> Evil Dead 2 -> AoD.

I could've sworn there was AoD2 but that was probably just hearing rumours about it existing in the future.

One was Super Serious, then they threw humor at it. It was ridiculous, but self aware. It was the right balance for me.

Evil Dead: "Too Old For This Shit but they gave me a giant sack of money and nobody will cast me in anything else because of these goddamned movies" - The Series.

Bruce has been willing and happy to do any new Evil Dead with Sam for decades, he just hasn't had much to talk about. At cons for years he'd pretty much just say "ask Sam". Since it looked like it might not happen, what with Sam doing Spider-Man movies etc, and fans always asking about it.

I find it pretty odd somebody would think Bruce needed a "giant sack of money", like this is a cash-in. This is a lifelong passion project for everybody involved. But this is the internet, you'll find a negative spin on anything, no matter how beautiful it is. :P

When Bruce made his own movie, My Name Is Bruce, he practically made a prototype of this in a lot of ways. Yet you're saying he'd only make something like this because he's typecast? Very odd stuff there.

This will be groovy, and will be referenced in the dictionary entry for groovy.

I've been long hoping that Bruce would do another one of these, the thought of a series gives me pause, though.

Still, makes me sad I don't have the Stars network. Basic cable ftl >.<

I'll be looking forward to buying the DVDs as they come out, though.

Fonze said:

I've been long hoping that Bruce would do another one of these, the thought of a series gives me pause, though.

Still, makes me sad I don't have the Stars network. Basic cable ftl >.<

I'll be looking forward to buying the DVDs as they come out, though.

Starz sucks pretty much, but I kept it just for this. Even with Starzplay(Starz programming on demand on my pc) there's not much of shit to watch. I started Spartacus which is pretty decent. Too bad Andy Whitfield(Spartacus) died after the first season which makes me tentative to start season 2.

Dave The Daring said:

Last time I saw Ash he was in a post-apocalyptic England. Continuity was never this series' strong point though.

The movie has two endings, I'm not sure which DVD/blu-ray version you have etc, most include both. Granted I'm sure you already knew this. He's been working at S-mart all these years in this one, kind of like the S-Mart ending. "Hail to the king, baby"

In an interview Sam Raimi said he likes to look at it more like the Clint Eastwood starring Man With No Name Movies, where the continuity is loose. We know he's stopped the deadites before and now after years they're back. And fun ensues.

PsychoGoatee said:

The movie has two endings, I'm not sure which DVD/blu-ray version you have etc, most include both. Granted I'm sure you already knew this. He's been working at S-mart all these years in this one, kind of like the S-Mart ending. "Hail to the king, baby"

I actually had no idea about the two endings. The only one I ever saw was the cave ending where he's slept too long. I'll have to buy a copy with both endings. Thanks for the info.

Dave The Daring said:

I actually had no idea about the two endings. The only one I ever saw was the cave ending where he's slept too long. I'll have to buy a copy with both endings. Thanks for the info.

The cave ending is the deleted ending. The theatrical release has Ash back at S-Mart.

Ashstrodamus said:

The cave ending is the deleted ending. The theatrical release has Ash back at S-Mart.

So I've been watching a lie all these years? Oh.

PsychoGoatee said:

Right on. Here's an official link to that ending if you'd like to pop it on. Fun stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or3okI_mad8

That video won't play for me. I'm probably in the wrong country or something.

Dave The Daring said:

So I've been watching a lie all these years? Oh.

That video won't play for me. I'm probably in the wrong country or something.

Try searching for Army of Darkness ending on youtube, there's a bunch of uploads. Maybe one of them won't be blocked.

And I had heard that the ending you've seen was used internationally, and it's also used in the director's cut version of Army of Darkness, which I had on VHS back in the day. I dig that it's another Ash messed up dark comedy ending, but overall I prefer the S-Mart ending. It's just too damn good.

Maybe in season 2 Ash will end up in post apocalyptic England anyway, so we can have our cake and eat it too.

Also funny that this scene in particular is practically a prototype for Duke Nukem's personality in Duke 3D. "Hail to the king baby", "Come get some"

My first exposure to Army of Darkness was through the Doom total conversion!

SYS said:

One was Super Serious, then they threw humor at it. It was ridiculous, but self aware. It was the right balance for me.

* Evil Dead 1 was much better as a horror movie. First time I saw it I was quite disturbed (in a good, Doom 3 way). I loved how creative the writers were with the stuff.

* I didn't like the second movie: it looked like a remake of the first with much of the horror removed, and replaced with silliness. Its only merit is that it makes a direct prequel to Army of Darkness, in case you watched AoD first.

* Army of Darkness: I watched it after I played the Doom mod. I expected it to be like the game: Ash by himself, talking to himself. This turned out to be correct sometimes, but it also has plenty of medieval characters. Personally I found Ash's personality too haughty this time, even unlikable. At least he's talented in engineering, crafting all that prosthetics for his severed hand. But sometimes he's depicted as arrogantly idiotic (when he coughs through the Necronomicon chant and when he miscounts the long sleep drops).

I always see it as the screen writer trying to demonstrate character flaws for the sake of story telling. With flat one-dimensional characters like Ash, it gives the viewer a cringe or "Goddamn idiot" reaction. Given the tone of AoD, the intention behind the arrogance is meant to be conveyed as humorous.