Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TitanJedi

That Doom movie amiright?

I'm going to just watch the damn thing one day soon. I've been avoiding it because I know it's not going to compare to the films that inspired the game: Hellraiser, Evil Dead, Aliens, etc. Knowing it won't compare to those films, I can't help but wonder, why waste my time? I feel like I'm going to just be bored. There's plenty of great films that feel Doom-y and are better (like Event Horizon or Starship Troopers). Are there any redeeming qualities to the Doom film? IS it so bad it's good?

printz said:

I think Doom needs the ownership of a company like Blizzard to have a compelling story that would make a good movie... All their games have huge backstories, even if they amount to Doom-like gameplay complexity (Diablo).

Which Blizzard do you mean? The Blizzard that made WC, WC2, WC3, SC, D1, and D2? Or the one that made WoW, D3, and SC2?

GoatLord said:

Are there any redeeming qualities to the Doom film? IS it so bad it's good?

I was just watching it as a total reimagining, spotting all the parallels and references while thinking of it as its own movie. I think it works best like that and can be fairly entertaining. Unless you really want hell&demons and whatnot, I wouldn't say it's "so bad it's good", it's pretty alright. Just watch it if you want to watch a non-doom movie with a bunch of shit from doom in it.

GoatLord said:

Are there any redeeming qualities to the Doom film? IS it so bad it's good?

It's a bit dark, but if you turn up the brightness or watch the behind the scenes stuff, the film is aesthetically great. I noticed printz said that the monsters were disgusting as a con. Fuck printz. Stan Winston did a marvelous job bringing the big demons to life. A fantastic mix of practical effects, costumes, puppetry, and digital effects.

Of course, effects don't carry a movie.

Clonehunter said:

Stan Winston

... is an effects god. /worship

If you dig his stuff you need to get this book.

The only thing I didn't like about the demon design (that I remember) is giving the pinky demon wheels, felt like a step back from its Doom 3 design with the mechanical legs.

Well it was justified by what he came from. Without an explanation no kind of mechanical lower body would make any sense, so to keep some... er... logic, they did what they did.

As I said before, the costumes are great. No flaws there. Props are decent too.

The acting, the writing and the "fan pandering" is what fails hardcore.

MetroidJunkie said:

Guess it's a consequence of the bad writing, then.

Well, yeah! Why the hell would anyone need a wheelchair in the future? We have fucking cyborgs walking around in 2015 with Terminator-like replacement limbs. It's that kind of thing that makes me not want to see the movie. Don't sell me a future that's more outdated than the present.

On top of that, who in the hell thought making the demon crippled near the end would be a good idea? Other than the unfortunate implications with the wheelchair, there's really no sport in shooting something that can't even move.

MetroidJunkie said:

On top of that, who in the hell thought making the demon crippled near the end would be a good idea? Other than the unfortunate implications with the wheelchair, there's really no sport in shooting something that can't even move.

What if it spits giant cubes with skulls on the sides?

Chezza said:

The acting[...]is what fails hardcore.

I actually thought that the acting was fairly decent through and through with a few exceptions here and there, like The Rock. In some cases the characters were just generic in their personality. Raz Adoti (Duke) plays are your average go-lucky player character, but he manages to sell that tried and true character fairly well. Urban does fine, as does Pike. Al Weaver (the Kid) puts a pretty decent performance as well. It's just that some actors didn't have much to work with, though, like Goat and Destroyer, and especially Yao Chin (Mac) who doesn't get to do shit except look bored (He's not even in the original script!)

GhostlyDeath said:

What if it spits giant cubes with skulls on the sides?

Spitting out monsters that CAN move and WILL attack you seems like a justifiable enough reason to destroy it, though. I mean, if a Pain Elemental wasn't spitting out Lost Souls, it would just be a cute little ogre ball floating around. Besides, it's kind of the Icon of Sin, the ultimate mastermind behind this invasion, a bit different than just some random pinkie demon. XD

It wasn't bad it just didn't use Doom's assets other than bfg first person like Blair Witch and imps. People wanted chainsawing off cyber demon heads after the bfg killed hundreds of imps around it.

The BFG was criminally underused too. Like, it never killed anything on screen. We Sarge miss with it twice, and then we see the aftermath of what appears to be another missed shot. However, the gun melting walls and shit seemed pretty cool, and I would have liked to see something like that translate to a game, although I imagine that would be sort of hard.

The DooM movie was good in it's own right, but is shit on par with the game series.

Still better than 70% of game movie adaptions.

Without the DooM Movie we'd never have the awesome looking BFG10k in Skulltag

Clonehunter said:

However, the gun melting walls and shit seemed pretty cool, and I would have liked to see something like that translate to a game, although I imagine that would be sort of hard.

Maybe not quite so if they used the latest Geo-Mod somehow.

The rock actually resembled the Marine, up to and including the cheekbones. flip the picture so that he would be facing the same direction if you want to compare it even more. He might have been on a diet too because he looked kind of thin in terms of his face for this movie.

And this is a chaingunner or seargant (shotgun guy) incarnate :

[deeplinked from basementrejects]

I've watched this movie 6-7 years ago and i don't remember anything except: Very dark rooms, Soldiers goes around and looking for something, Pinky.... and that's all.
It means that movie not so impressive as you expecting. I guess it's could be better.