Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

Sonic X-treme v37 Release 3 with Levels

Here's the Original thread where the download was originally uploaded, Obviously there are few differences between the Original v37 and this one :

* The new build can play background music .
* Few physics were changed .
* Sonic can now walk through objects and enemies .
* Enemies,Objects that were blocks has been replaced by "Real" Objects .
* It has over 150 Levels, including some never Uploaded to the internet .

Other stuff that i don't understand ......

I asked "JollyRoger" at one of his videos and he said "This is the first step at enhancing the engine, future plans include Ability to Pick-up objects and possibly receiving damages from enemies .

If you have seen the e3 trailer from 1996 and Magazin shots, Sure you're going to remember these levels

I'm happy for all the Sonic fans that he's finally in Minecraft. They should put Samus in there. She has a sticky wall ball that makes more sense for going up and over 90 degree angles than Sonic.

*edit* Grab your umbrella. The textures are low quality to mimic the original the low quality is reminiscent of Minecraft. Its all nothing but blocks with simple slants. While I respect the hard work someone put into this project to make it a reality, its just unappealing. People will buzz about this project, but if Sega were to release it today or back then people would hate on it.

Wow 150 levels? Is it a puzzle game or a mobile game? If not, they should have made 30 good ones and worked on those.

Here's the Original thread where the download was originally uploaded, Obviously there are few differences between the Original v37 and this one :
* The new build can play background music .
* Few physics were changed .
* Sonic can now walk through objects and enemies .
* Enemies,Objects that were blocks has been replaced by "Real" Objects .
* It has over 150 Levels, including some never Uploaded to the internet .
I asked "JollyRoger" at one of his videos and he said "This is the first step at enhancing the engine, future plans include Ability to Pick-up objects and possibly receiving damages from enemies .

Thank you for sharing this. I was looking for this project a while ago.

dio, what's the point of your message? Can you explain, please, how it relates to this thread?

I'm guessing he doesn't care/understand this is an extremely early leaked alpha that some fans have taken the gesture of porting to modern systems, and that the best looking fully 3D console game in 1996 was Tomb Raider... which was also made of blocks.

Just imagine Doom was cancelled and all we got were alphas 0.2 and 0.3.

Sodaholic said:

Dio, you are aware this is a cancelled Saturn game being restored, not a Minecraft mod, right?

Yes. It still looks like Minecraft with Sonic in it. Perhaps if it wasn't made exclusively out of blocks.

Don't worry Sohaholic- some people are just a little...special.
I for one haven't really been keeping that big an eye on this- never had nostalgia for the Saturn so this kinda went over my head. :P
Have seen some of the progress over on Sonic Retro though every now and then though, and it's neat to see how hard the guys working on it (hats off to Markyjester too, amazing hacks and coding fun) have made this possible!

dio said:

Yes. It still looks like Minecraft with Sonic in it. Perhaps if it wasn't made exclusively out of blocks.

Your brain is made out of blocks, much like the majority of 3D geometry released in the mid 90s

I came back to apologize for insulting the game. Sorry to the game, its developers and those whose parade I rained on.

@dio: I'm sure that the point of celebrating this game is its "historical value" rather than its immediate relevance in today's gaming world.

Having tried the various betas as they've come out, historical value is about all they have going for them.

I mean, I rather like the art direction they had going, but actually trying to play the levels, it's clear that most of them are a single room and nothing more - very little of game play value. The physics feel incredibly wrong, and the world-rotation gimmick, which could actually be pretty awesome if done right, clearly hasn't been fully-thought-out at this point, given how easily you can set yourself up into situations where your only apparent option is to fall indefinitely into the sky.

I have always kinda wanted to see an actual game with the fisheye lens, though. It's a rather unique look, with some decent implications for gameplay (being able to see further off to the sides), if a look that'd probably be a nightmare for those who easily succumb to motion sickness.

scifista42 said:

@dio: I'm sure that the point of celebrating this game is its "historical value" rather than its immediate relevance in today's gaming world.

Ah okay.

Just tested some of the levels, i had fun exploring some early layouts of latest leaked gameplays, and was impressed to see some conceptual stages were actually on the works (Such as that Pyramid like level) .

dio said:

Perhaps if it wasn't made exclusively out of blocks.

You're only correct at this ,Well sorta, i suggest you check some of the leaked gameplays from 2006 ., the game would have been a shock compare to the games released at it's time .

That 2006 video looks a lot better than where this alpha is at right now, but yes its Minecraft blocks the exception is the smooth slopes. The 2006 version feels more open and less confined or bare, but an alpha is an alpha I guess.

That's a definite goal of mine, to one day make a fisheye platformer, or at least one that allows you to switch lenses to your preference and design the game's mechanics around it sufficiently.

dio said:

Yes. It still looks like Minecraft .

You mean like most of 90s games , Also that's an alpha of the game, the 2006 videos should demonstrate how "different" is the latest build compare to the cheap "Alpha" that we barely got after nearly 19 years , It's not so easy to get such rare stuff daily , pretty sure some former "Point of view" employee still has that build but he refuses to release it .

This makes me think, I really wouldn't mind a Super Mario 3D Land-esque game made with SRB2.

Maybe I should check out the forums again, that sounds like something more than a few people would attempt.