Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

New Deep97

The The Deep97 Homepage has news of the release of a new version of Deep97, bringing the WAD editor up to v9.79. Here's a rip from the page:

DeeP97 now supports ALL ZDOOM options, including the new flags available in Hexen mode.

1. The total number of addon files is now 99 (up from 56 - registered only). More advanced users will find this especially handy when doing massive level and graphic replacements.

2. From beginner to advanced user, it's easy to use ZDOOM features. The ZDOOM and BOOM projects are automatically created on startup. The ZDOOM & BOOM options and OPT control file names are automatically set when you select either of these. (Press F5 to view and change these options for custom values).

3. New OPT description files matching the current ZDOOM in DOOM mode and in Hexen mode. You can add or edit additional features to the ZDOOM.OPT or ZDOOMHEXEN.OPT files as required.

4. For 242 and 334 ZDOOM LineDef types, texture names consisting of hex RRGGBB values are valid. An approximation of the RRGGGBB color value is shown taking a lot of the guesswork out of this cool ZDOOM feature.

5. DeePBSP now supports the new ZDOOM Hexen mode polyobjects making it somewhat easier to get them the work.

6. A new option - Map Scroll Delay - has been added to slow the map scrolling speed (press F5, then select MAP). This is especially useful for the faster systems now available.

7. The internal system benchmark has been replaced by CPU2000 - our own quick system benchmark utility. It will be posted to our website for downloading when we are done with a graphic test anomaly.

Currently we are minimizing (to the extent possible) the graphic queuing employed by Nvidia drivers that give misleading results.

Note: This version has new control files. The standard ones are automatically reset, however, please reconfigure any custom project (PRJ) or Texture (TCF) and reconfigure the editing options to your taste.

Registered users of Deep 9.78 can upgrade for free, as usual.

Guest cocoon

Deep97... It sure sounds good but is it? I think I saw some dos version a few years back but it really didn't suit my needs. So if anyone can gimme some sweet comments about a newer version and if it actually works without bugs.. Oh wait! Just tell me if it is line-based or sector-based editing.

Guest mystican

charging money for an editor STILL wtf do they think theyre playing at .. man what a bunch of crap i wouldn't touch that shit .. pay money to edit doom when theres like 10 other free editors out there .. yea right man keep dreamin mart: its kinda like deu or deth .. but dont touch it with a 10 foot pole cuz you have to PAY for it and it's nothin special anyway

I've been using the shareware, and it's pretty useful, but I'm not going to buy the registered version.

Guest Anonymous User

I have registered DeeP for DOS and I'm quite happy with it. Too bad it doesn't look like it's in development anymore... I guess my problem is that I started editing with the shareware and by the time I ran into the shareware limits, I was so used to the editor, I couldn't switch. I tried all the other editors I could find, but nothing suited my tastes. Oh well, that's my $0.02

Guest Anonymous User

I don't know why you people are so down Deep97, It is a nice editor and yes it has it's bugs but what editor don't! At leatst they are working the bugs out! And its a whole $25.00, ohhhh like that will brake your bank account! I'm on my way to get the latest version!!!!!!!! 8^b..... to you all that don't like it!

Guest Anonymous User

First of all, cocoon, I'm not sure what you mean by that.. There is both sector-based editing AND line-based editing. There's also vertex-based editing. Although linedef mode and vertex more are kept seperate so I don't like that.. DeeP97 is a lot like DCK, except DeeP97 has some sweet stuff. Things like automatic texture alignment that works 100% of the time. There's also some other nice stuff that I won't mention now.. Oh yes, it edits all versions of Doom/Doom2, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife. It's also a true Win95/98 editor so that's perhaps the sweetest part. mystican, I don't blame you for not buying this. I mean, really! All that money out the window for a Doom editor??? I understand. It's a lot of money to pay, but I really like Doom and I like this editor. It's the best, and I mean the BEST editor out there (once you get to know how to use it), and so far I'm very happy with my transaction. So, buy with caution... :-b

Guest Reaper

I don't know what your problem is guys...Deep rulez in almost every way possible and an editor and it is continually updated. Almost no other editor is still updated. Plus, as already stated, it's a true Win95/98 editor so you can have Deep open and test your level all in one big swoop. Our site is really happy promoting Deep and Deep is the only editor that I ever use anymore. DCK would have been cool if it would have been updated but it's not... It has loads of cool features (like a 3D preview!!!!), its compiler is really, really fast, its easy to use, and it's got support for nearly all the source ports out there. It's so worth $25 and if you can't afford that you're a poor sap. Download the shareware and try it out. PS. I got my copy as part of an agreement with the Deep team. Since I use the editor religiously, we agreed to promote the editor in exchange for a free copy. Even if I didn't get a free copy, I'd still promote the damn editor. It's awesome...

Guest Anonymous User

deep97 is a good editor so buy it its great

Guest Anonymous User

Why the hell should someone have to pay money to make levels? Who ever came up with the idea of paying for a level editor is nuts! Besides, to me, Deep is so funky, when I first tried it, it was off my hard drive before I got a room done! Long live king DEU and DETH! Long live DEU and DETH! Look at some of the other editors for Doom and other games: DEU, DETH, RottEd, Build(in a sense), Descent 2 mission builder(also in a sense), DFUse, TED, EdMap83, the Warcraft one editor(yes it does exsist), HEU, HETH, War2Edit (also in a sense)... I could go on, but I cant think of any others I have used. But the point is that all these editors get the job done, and none of them cost a cent! BTW, long live king DEU and DETH!

Guest Anonymous User

Those free editors are just great, huh? Some of the ones mentioned haven't been updated in years! And why does DETH have so many variations of the same program to edit games that use the same engine? DETH, HETH, ZETH? It just shows you get what you pay for...... Long live DETH and DEU! <snicker>

Guest Reaper

You guys are overlooking things here. First off, programmers have lives too. They don't just sit around and make this stuff for themselves. If they did, you'd never see any level editors (unless you're the one that makes them). New level editors cost money (Tread, WorldCraft Pro, QOOLE, etc...). And besides, sure the other editors are free but they don't have as many advantages as Deep. Sure, Deep takes some getting used to, but once you learn the basics, everything else falls into place. It has so many useful features that the bugs (if any) barely bother me. I know this sounds biased but it's the truth. I used to swear by DCK. But then I started looking around for other editors cause DCK wasn't cutting it anymore (rebooting to DOS and all...). I tried WinDEU for a few months, WADAuthor for about a day (sector based editing blows IMHO), DETH (one of the better editors), and even WADED and DoomCAD. I took a little while to try to get to learn each editor and I was never really happy. Some editors had cool stuff, but at the same time they had big drawbacks or things that took too long or weren't done the way that they were done in DCK. I was almost ready to switch to DCK. Then, I popped in my old 3D Game Alchemy and Tricks of the Doom Gurus CD's and I found Deep. Everything that I'd found in DCK, along with more (except for motifs...they ruled) was found in Deep97. Sure, it took a little longer to learn and get used to, but it was well worth it. I was working faster and better than ever. And I could test the level right away and be right back in my editor to fix problems. No waiting for boots and loads and all the other crap. In my opinion, $25 is a small price to pay for the time and money Deep saved me over all those editors. Sure, I could have learned to live around their shortcomings...but why would I want to?

Guest Backslider

Ok Guy's I know level editors have been the root of all controversy for the past 2000 years. But the point here is no one is twisting your arm to buy or try anything. I am a proud registered user of Deep97 :) IMHO it is the greatest, it makes things easy for me. But i would never try to convince anyone else. I believe the News Report of the DeeP97 upgrade was posted on DooMWorld because it is DooM related news. Not intended to start a mud slinging contest. Yes Deep97 cost $25 bucks to register, but they also offer a shareware version for free, so you won't waste your money on something you don't like. IMHO thats pretty good of them. Dave (Slave of DooM)

Guest Daggah

Especially when I can't SELL the levels that I make...there are lots of good, FREE editors out there. I sure as hell ain't gonna pay money for one DOOM editor when I can download another that I like better anyway for FREE!

Guest Anonymous User

if you don't live in the US (i'm from australia), then paying for shareware is way too much of a pain in the arse (or ass, if you like), even if the proggy is just $1 US (is the internet global??). not being able to be able to build a level more than about 4 sectors with the shareware deep97 means the only concievable editor to use is DCK (the only drawback with it being that it is dos-based).

Guest Anonymous User

if you don't live in the US (i'm from australia), then paying for shareware is way too much of a pain in the arse (or ass, if you like), even if the proggy is just $1 US (is the internet global??). not being able to be able to build a level more than about 4 sectors with the shareware deep97 means the only concievable editor to use is DCK (the only drawback with it being that it is dos-based).

Guest Anonymous User

Guest foetal anomaly

Guest Risen

Maybe I'm just and old-schooler, but the only editor I use for construction is WadEd 1.42. It offers the most intuitive construction interface I have seen since I began editing. But then, I haven't tried the new DEEP. I use WadAuthor and other tools to compile the small ends of my levels together to make big ones. Still, I can't sell what I make, so in my opinion, paying for an editor when there is so much out there for free is not my best option. I have a lot of other things that are more important to me to spend money on.

Guest Density

In my view, Level editors shouldn't be sold. Most Doom editors are free anyway.... Source code is all over the place too

Guest mystican

charging money for an editor is whack. people who pay the money are whacker still.