Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DWBS

"DWBS" is an acronym, figure out what it stands for yourself. Now that we have this godlike comments system I figure that I might as well use it. Sure, I know that people are just clamoring to post their reactions to the latest round of "Joe Blow updated his Doom page" news postings, but maybe I'll give people something better to talk about.

Today's topic: Which standard Doom or Doom 2 level do you hate the most?

The first time I played it I had such a hard time figuring out those damned teleporter puzzles that it imbedded itself in my mind as the most frustrating level. Of course, it's no problem now, a lot can change in 5 years...

Guest Anonymous User

Just for the benefit of those who haven't figured it out.

Guest Anonymous User

I hate map 14 of Doom II the most. The architecture is okay and the layout is only adequate for a 1-on-1 DM. The single player side of the level is horrible. It's just not fun and more frustrating than a good challenge. The arch-ville ruins the entire map in cooperative mode if the players don't kill him immediately. After awhile, an army of ghost, former humans is created from the dead bodies that have been squished in doorways and the fun is completely gone. A few of my friends agree that map 14 is the worst level in Doom II. Besides that one map, id Software created classics with all the others.

Guest FyrestormX

Tough question...

Guest Anonymous User

Any map that makes heavy use of him sucks! The Archvile is perhaps one of the most virulently hated creatures in DooM. In the words of a Famous guy or something, KILL 'EM ALL!

The Pit needs to die... every time I fall off a 4-unit-wide ledge and get stuck in slime and am barred in by Cacodemons 300 units above me and can't move and my health is going down and... ARGH

Guest Anonymous User

You mean "The Chasm". Map09 is "The Pit". Well, my most hated level would probably be.. Gee, well I don't really hate any of them. The one I like the least is probably Map21. I still like it a bit.. If we include Final DOOM, the level I hate absolutely the most is Map01 from Plutonia. Man, that level is ugly! Light brown brown brown, everywhere!! Uhuhuhghghh.. I shudder to think of it... :-b

Guest TerminX

DoomWorld BullShit. =) -TerminX

Guest Effigy

As much as I hate to say it, I thought the last level of Doom II was probably the worst. The idea of the spawning monsters from the Demon's head was pretty cool, but (a) the map was just ugly, (b) it was pretty annoying -- f*cking elevator, and (c) the stationary boss blew. This was the company that created the Cyberdemon, and I was expecting to be filled with the same dread that first meeting with the Cyb inspired; instead, there's a big head on the wall. Eek.

Guest Mattrim.

DOOM...E3M6. I often wonder exactly what manner of hallucinogen or dementia Sandy Peterson was suffering when he designed this "level". With textures like this, I would hate to see Peterson's living room... DOOM...E4M5. My apologies to Tim Willits, but this map is the worst that he has ever created, and it is the worst of the Ultimate DOOM levels. I should be scared by the monsters, not by the horrendous texture usage and layout. DOOM2...I especially despise DOOM2's "middle" levels...MAP12, MAP13, MAP15, MAP31, and MAP32. Oh, and good ol' MAP24. I definitely consider them to be among the worst of the id output. Final DOOM...? I adore The Plutonia Experiment. I want to have Dario and Milo Casali's offspring. Evilution? Do not get me started. Had I downloaded Evilution on a conventional modem, I would have faxed my internet-service provider bill to Team TNT and demanded that they pay for my wasted time.

Guest Darco

im gonna have to agree on map 30 of doom 2 being the worst, a last level should test all the skills the player has used througout the game, and while map 30 does for a bit (you might blast some stuff when you first go for the switch) after that its just frantic running near the elevator, which is very aggrivating. Plus, the level is ugly, and dosen't really scare the player (unless you consider being scared the same as being annoyed..)

Guest Doss

Has got to be some Doom ][ idiot of map... like map09 or map16. Map28, map08, map25, map22 and map13 sucks really evil, too. See -- Doom2 isn't good

I played and finished Doom, Memento Mori, Memento Mori 2 and Requiem. I never finished Doom2. Why? Because after "Circle of Death", the levels got big, ugly and dull. Big I can handle; ugly and dull I can't.

Guest Anonymous User

E2M2 : really sucks..... too big a too much crates MAP13-MAP15 : same design i hate

Guest sponge

I've never beaten Doom II. Mainly because of after Dead Simple, I hate the maps, and start to lose intrest. Expecially the suburbs map (Forget the number..) It has great deathmatch, but just terrible in singleplauer

Guest Anonymous User

What id should have done with MAP30, Icon of Sin, is give the player one hell of a battle with one of the nastiest beasts Hell has to offer (and I DON'T mean the stationary goat-skull that fires cubes!). Perhaps something along the line of that awesome Makron fight that concludes Quake II. Shub from the original Quake couldn't compare to this guy -- all Shub did was sit around on her bloated ass and give the player one hell of a monster fight (Vores and Shamblers were perhaps the toughest opponents in Quake) before allowing the player to telefrag her. The Makron, however moved around quite a bit while peppering the player with Spider Mastermind-style chaingun fire -- and the occasional BFG! And even in its second form, Makron was tough -- it'd use hyperblaster and railgun, as well as the devastating BFG. What I was looking for was something at least ten times tougher than ol' Cyber Head with the Rocket Launcher -- a guy that takes a bit of brains as well as brawn to take down for good. Any Comments?

Guest Anonymous User

They just wern't as interesting as the ones in the original Doom. A bit too much on the bleak and generic side (many of the enviroments are gloomy in a cold overcast Sunday afternoon kind of way, rather than gloomy as in being in a horror movie). However, this is more than made up for in all of the levels/TCs made for it :) --balanco00@my-deja.com

Guest Anonymous User

What the hell is up with map30? after battling cyberdemons, archviles, hellbarons, ect. I have to fight a head painted on the wall! what about a good cyber fight with maybe 2 cybers that would be fun! any good boss where you have a running battle. Not stand and shoot fall off get back up again fall off...ect.

Guest Anonymous User

...anything designed by Sandy Petersen.

Guest Anonymous User

Just, plain, sucked.

Guest RayNerts

I agree that most everything after Dead Simple blows, but my least favorite is the Suburbs. I have to give the lev designers credit, though... they sure made playing that game seem like I was in hell.

Guest Xenocide

I don't know why i didn't like this level, it looked good, but after i beat it the first time.. i remembered the number 22 and always remembered to skip it. All the other doom2/doom levels were awesome and I would play them all starting with a pistol.. until i found out there were add-ons out there ;)

Guest Doomlegend

All Doom levels rule.....

Guest Radtard

My least favorite level of all time has to be Icon of Sin (Map 30), or Chasm (read it again!). Those really suck. Also, the suburbs is okay, but is not that good. The could have made the maps creepier.

Guest suicidalmaniac

I'd have to say that map30 of Doom II is my least favorite. The only fun thing to do in that level is to use ZDoom's notarget cheat and watch the monsters get telefragged. My least favorite Doom I level.... gee, now THAT's a hard one!

To the people who said they hated them, E2M2 is my favourite Doom level and MAP14 my favourite Doom 2 level :) I don't like MAP01 much, but that's just 'caus I'm so sick of the music ;) MAP30 sucks too, as does E4M5.

Guest DustBunny

I never played any of the original DooM levels past Episode 1, but DooM ][? Probably the Chasm. God that sucked. Too freakin' hard. Factory too. And Circle Of Death/"O" Of Destruction! Suburbs ain't that bad, tho, in my opinion. But why not talk about our favorites? Mine is most definitely "Gotcha". The music RULES, and it's fun watching Cyber and Spidey go at it. And the whole level reminds me of a prison. Here's another topic- least favorite monster. Mine- Revenant, most definitely. You'd think after running around trying to avoid the bastard's damned rockets he'd have a cooler death. Ha! Wrong! (grumblegrumble)