Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

More Doom2000 Rumors

What game will id pursue next? A lot of people are hoping that the word "Doom" will have something to do with id's next project, but no one knows for sure. First up is a quote from id Software's Graeme Devine from DiabloII.com where he discusses inspiration for id's next game.

My interest is to make a game where the 3-4 hours, the running around screaming, and the sheer excitement of not knowing what’s down the next stairway carry on for longer than the experience of Diablo. A DM can do a lot to make this happen and I think we can introduce those into the game and stop players from getting so powerful so quickly and affect their view and abilities in other ways than sheer damage and armor protection.

Also, in an interview earlier today about Daikatana, John Romero was posed the following question:

[AskCheckOut] CO-Corey371 says: Speaking of doom, Mr. Romero, I am wondering and in my opinion ID software will not make another DOOM, would you or do you not have the license to do another DOOM?
[Daikatana] John_Romero: I think that ID is going to do another Doom,
[Daikatana] and it owns all the copyrights for Doom.
[Daikatana] I don't own any rights to anything I worked on at Id.

Comments?

I'd like to see iD make Doom 3 if John Romero was somehow involved. They'd better do it right or else I'm going to cry.. :-b

Guest Anonymous User

At this point, Romero shouldn't be even let near a computer, let alone another doom project.

Guest ViolentEd

Just because John Romero hasnt published a game since Quake doesnt mean he stopped being a great game designer. I think Daikatana is going to surprize everyone when it comes out (probibly around 2012 :)) And about "doom3" or whatever, I'm gonna chill outside ID software with a picket sign that reads "If ID doesnt make a new doom, I'll kill myself!" :)

Guest Anonymous User

I can't wait to see what other groups go out and picket iD if they decide to make another Doom title. Doom 3 will prolly be shot dead by the media or press if they get a whiff o' whats goin on. But then, it is in my belief that the media and press could make Mother Teresa look like Monica Lewinsky, if they tried to do so.

What's going on? Are you talking about the violence thing? Hmm.. You know, I didn't know that Mother Teresa was still alive.. Gee... Well, you learn something everyday!.. Oh yes, I'd like to see another Doom, but it probably won't be done right.. :-b

Guest FyrestormX

if Doom 200 were to come out, it wouldnt be the same without Romero

Guest Anonymous User

Sorry I can't provide links to this info, but I didn't keep track of them. Anyway, before rumours of Doom2000 get too crazy, I thought I'd offer some interesting counter-points to consider... A few months ago, Carmack mentioned that id was split on what they wanted to do for their next game. About half the company was interested in another Doom. The other half, including himself, wanted to continute to push forward with something new and innovative. Carmack is definetly a leader in the company, and his preferences will likely have a major influence in the direction they take. In a recent article on Quake3's development (check the links on Blue's a few days ago), Graeme Devine says the first thing they need to do on their next game (whatever it is) is to eliminate the rocketlauncher. To me it sounded like he was being both literal, and figurative. Figurative in the sense that he is also pushing for something new, something that moves away from the old Doom & Quake series. (The article also seems to reaffirm Carmack's preferences) At this point I think nothing is certain. Id does seem to be more protective of Doom lately, but I think it's mainly to keep all their options open. I imagine it's a difficult dilemna for them right now: Is it really possible for them to do another Doom, and still be innovative? Many old-schoolers will hate any big changes to traditional Doom gameplay, but many of today's players want something new, not the same old formula. Is there a possible compromise, or would they end up alienating one or both sides? As project leader of the (currently on-hold) Doom3D TC, I have mixed feelings on another commercial Doom. If done right it could be a great thing, but at the same time it would probably bury Doom3D once and for all. We've obviously had plenty of problems getting Doom3D going again without that to worry about too. ;) Oh well. Good news is that I think Q3A opens up some exciting new possibilities for the project. We're not down for the count yet! - Tim Wright (Argh!)

Guest Argh!

Sorry I can't provide links to this info, but I didn't keep track of them. Anyway, before rumours of Doom2000 get too crazy, I thought I'd offer some interesting counter-points to consider... A few months ago, Carmack mentioned that id was split on what they wanted to do for their next game. About half the company was interested in another Doom. The other half, including himself, wanted to continute to push forward with something new and innovative. Carmack is definetly a leader in the company, and his preferences will likely have a major influence in the direction they take. In a recent article on Quake3's development (check the links on Blue's a few days ago), Graeme Devine says the first thing they need to do on their next game (whatever it is) is to eliminate the rocketlauncher. To me it sounded like he was being both literal, and figurative. Figurative in the sense that he is also pushing for something new, something that moves away from the old Doom & Quake series. (The article also seems to reaffirm Carmack's preferences) At this point I think nothing is certain. Id does seem to be more protective of Doom lately, but I think it's mainly to keep all their options open. I imagine it's a difficult dilemna for them right now: Is it really possible for them to do another Doom, and still be innovative? Many old-schoolers will hate any big changes to traditional Doom gameplay, but many of today's players want something new, not the same old formula. Is there a possible compromise, or would they end up alienating one or both sides? As project leader of the (currently on-hold) Doom3D TC, I have mixed feelings on another commercial Doom. If done right it could be a great thing, but at the same time it would probably bury Doom3D once and for all. We've obviously had plenty of problems getting Doom3D going again without that to worry about too. ;) Oh well. Good news is that I think Q3A opens up some exciting new possibilities for the project. We're not down for the count yet! - Tim Wright (Argh!)

Guest Argh!

Heh, sorry about the duplicate post, was having problems. Is it possible for more formatting on these comments? That post was originally divided into 4 paragraphs, not one huge one. :P

Doom2000 could definately be the most incredible game of all time if planned correctly. Carmack should definately throw out the arena idea, because that will not work with Doom. Carmack wants a new idea? How about making Doom2000 have a cooperative option which allows up to 128 players to play on one server at once. These players would respawn in certain areas of the game "Levels between levels, like diablo" and could work together to destroy whatever megaboss is at the end. I personally think that cooperative modes are really going to take off. It worked in Tf for quake, let's elaborate on this idea. If Killing the AI is too lame for the lot of you, why not allow players to play as the monsters? Then, just imagine going through doom2000 where every monster you encounter could very well be the end of you. Also, meeting up with marines in level sets would be really cool, or meeting up with a freshly slaughtered buddy. I just hope that ID makes doom innotative and incredibly fun.

Guest Anonymous User

If ID was to make Doom3 it would rock on the Q3A engine. Imagine all the cool hell levels that could be made, with teeth, mist, toungs and and all sorts of other organic things. In the original Doom, the atmosphere was what drew me in... it was not just a run through a flat maze. It was creeping through the halls of a moon base overrun by demons from hell, with only my shotgun and rocket launcher keeping me from the end of the foodchain. What im trying to say is... *deep breath* making another doom has great potential, and i would love to get back into the halls of of the Phobos moon base again in all the Q3A graphical glory. I think that making it cooperative is a must and there should be an option to play the original levels, even if they were to create new ones and a new plot.

Guest Density

John Romero didn't make Doom, its the whole id TEAM that made Doom. Anyway, Id, if your making Doom tell us and BRING IT ON!!!... (Doom 3 is going to rock)

Guest Tiki

If ID was to make Doom3 it would rock on the Q3A engine. Imagine all the cool hell levels that could be made, with teeth, mist, toungs and and all sorts of other organic things. In the original Doom, the atmosphere was what drew me in... it was not just a run through a flat maze. It was creeping through the halls of a moon base overrun by demons from hell, with only my shotgun and rocket launcher keeping me from the end of the foodchain. What im trying to say is... *deep breath* making another doom has great potential, and i would love to get back into the halls of of the Phobos moon base again in all the Q3A graphical glory. I think that making it cooperative is a must and there should be an option to play the original levels, even if they were to create new ones and a new plot.

Guest Tiki

sorry for the double post, was having trouble with the ol' browser.

Guest docbob

...to increase the chances that id will do a Doom3?

Guest Karlo

No rocket launcher? Argh! ;-)

BTW, I think it´s possible to use html-formatting.
I´m testing it with this post...

/Karl-Oscar Olson

Guest Anonymous User

But i guess even if it IS DooM in essence and Q3A in Engine it would still not outclass it predecessors. Reason: It would make life so much harder for map editors not mentioning programmers of alternative ports and map editing tools. Btw Tiki, i have the same problem. My articles are the two overlong ones regarding the Worst Iwad levels and E1M1's coolness. Hope youll care to read em. Theyre about quadruple as long as the news update itself. Messiah with a Shotgun

Guest Anonymous User

<h1>ARGH!</h1>

Guest H3LL5P4WN

Doom2k would rule. Just hink, using the q3a engine, id could actually do hell, for real this time with the curved, animated, and shiney surfaces. think of a lost soul in q3a, or a spectre!!! drool...

Guest Grimloc

What if id and ION could somehow work on such a thing together? Then you would have an army of programmers, artists, etc, AND most of the originals from DooM working on a new game. Plus, all the ION Storm newbies could see just what it was like... back in the day... That would be fun... chances are every new ION Storm member was an avid DooM player. SO, we would definitely get what gamers want. Hehehe... just watch... id has probably already made a DooM 2oo0... :)

Guest Anonymous User

Well fuck , trust me it is MUCH better if romero is working on a new doom , HE still plays doom DM , he KNOWS what makes doom so great (the speed , the quantity of monsters) I mean , who wants doom as a game with the q3 engine with pwetty levels that only contain 50 monsters :))) we need romero , ION STORM to work on the new Doom because otherwise we will have a slow moving eyecandy loaded and no more than 50 monsters per tiny level AND THAT IS NOT WHAT DOOM IS ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest ricrob

Hey now...there's a lot of damn Doomers still out there. This ownz!

Guest Anonymous User

i mean here goes THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN MAKE THE HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGEEEEEEEEE LEVELS LOADED WITH 600 MOINSTERS ++++++ WITH THE Q3A ENGINE UNLESS U HAVE 546 RAM ANDF A BI PENTIUM 600 OVERCLOCKED AT 900 MHZ EACH AND A GE FORCE CARD ON THA NEATEST AND MKST HIGHT TECH MOTHERBOARD EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FORGET IT , Q3A ENGINE IS NOT A VIABLE OPTION FOR DOOM3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get it in ya fuckign litytle doom novice brains if the THAUGHT of doom in a slow moving engine like q3a enters your mind THEN YOU DONT HAVE A FUCKING CLUE OF WHAT DOOM IS ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Anonymous User

I'm not really sure what to think about a Doom2k from id. Almost all of the original members of the doom team have long since left id. I don't want them to do a half-assed attempt at remaking the original Doom series with a new pretty engine, yet at the same time I don't want to see a completely different game with the Doom name slapped onto it. It sounds to me like they're going for the latter, if the rumors prove to be true. That's not really what I personally want from id, but I'd still love to see a massively cooperative FPS game. id just needs to put some major thought into this. They've been focused on the deathmatch aspect of FPS gaming, and yet they've still lost a lot of deathmatch fans. I think a great idea would be to have loads and loads of multiplayer cooperative missions, all happening at the same time with hundreds of players. Perhaps if one mission is completed, it affects other missions. Combine this with an ability to link servers around the world with each other, and you could have a massive action FPS version of EverQuest. Of course, it also opens up the possibility of a lot of other negative issues such as monthly fees, server maintenence etc. Still, it's a nice thought anyways. What do the rest of you think?

Guest Anonymous User

Hello, Doom2k is gonna be the best game ever!!!!! PEOPLE!!!!!, Wake up!! Doom is the best game ever and it should has the BEST FINAL CHAPTER!!!!!! (NOT "FINAL DOOM"!!!)

Guest Demolition

I really want to ask ID personally: Why did they make the "Final Doom" chapter in the doom series?? It's very good game but games like doom should have The Best End Chapter!!!!!!!!

Guest UrHaSh

I would prefer id NOT create D2k, not so much because I'm worried about whether or not it would be great or bad (it would prolly be fairly good), but the fact that Doom represents something pure, perfect, pristine in the 3d gaming franchise. Creating Doom2000 would be like trying to create a modern version of chess. Leave Doom where it is, at the king of the hill.

Guest Anonymous User

What did Romero do on the original doom's i just remember him making map01 on doom 2.

Guest Anonymous User

What did Romero do on the original doom's i just remember him making map01 on doom 2.