Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DWBS

I just finished up my list of the ten must-have WADs for every Doomer, which I'll probably post here on December 31st or so. Naturally, a lot of the WADs I picked won't be much of a surprise, but I think it's quite a nice one. One thing I noticed while choosing exactly which WADs I thought deserved to be on the "must-play" list: there were quite a few great ones I reluctantly had to pass over. What's on your must-play list of Doom/Doom 2 WADs? If you have more than ten, wht criteria would you use to pare down the list?

I think this question is a lot like the old chestnut, "what are your ten favourite films?". Most people can pick two or three instantly, but thereafter they get a bit stuck. Certainly, it's this way for me with WADs ... Memento Mori 2 would be a definite choice, but then there's just a long list of "maybes".

Guest Sir Robin

There are so many, generally everything that got 5 stars on my page, but there is one over all of them: Requiem. Requiem, that WAD just kicked some mean fucking ass! Brilliant design, great graphics, kickass level structures... It was on hell of a masterpiece!

Guest Sir Robin

www.doomworld.com/doomed/ <-> seems like I'm not alone :) Requiem!

Guest Karlo

There are so many good WADS (but even more bad ones) that i don´t have a chance to pick ten of them.
For the moment i´m playing my own wad impress.wad and trying to finish it in different ways (pacifier, with one hand, etc) but that one isn´t really that good... (i´m definately no good level-designer).

Guest PuPz

Well, some of the things that make a great WAD to me is of course level design. Without a great level design, it won't hold my interest. Size means shit to me. I like it when WADs have you holding on to dear life by a thread. Puzzles are always good. Music is of no importance to me (unless it fits the WAD's environtment). If it sucks, I turn the music off. Lighting effects are always nice. And if the WAD has some new graphics, such as guns and enemies, they must be professional looking (like HacX), otherwise it ruins the experience. There are, however, some exceptions of a few TCs, for where they lack in graphics, the action makes up for it. Booby traps are a nice touch as well. Gotta love those.

- [b]PuPz

Guest Fanatic

I've been attracted to the GothicDM series of maps, especially GothicDM 1. The use of textures were incredible, brilliant design, and flawless texture alignment.

My next favorite is my own creation "ROKS". That map just really does it for me, and was heavily influenced by the Gothic maps.

Of course, the QDOOM maps are right purty too, but they can't be counted cause QDOOM isn't out yet. :) <blockquote> -Marc
Fanatic's Asylum

Guest nitro

I think our FagFest Initialized has by far the best looking levels around, hooray for PW! (and me!) :)

A lot of the best non mega-WAD levels seem to have been made in the last couple of years: ChordG (Malcolm Sailor) Classic 1, 2 and 3 (Jan van der Veken) Containment Area (Sailor Scout) Crusades (Richard Wiles) Death Tormention 1 & 2 (Paul Coriafis and others) Jagermorder 1 (Derek MacDonald) (yeah, funky dots) Seventh 7 (Michael Reid/Derek MacDonald) Tantrum (Ola Bjorling) Venom 2 (Ola Bjorling)

nitro, did you mean to spell your project that way you just did? Otherwise, pretty funny typo :)

Guest Omniverse

(1) If you know a level is flawed but are just obsessed with one aspect of the level, throw it out. (2) If there are any texture misalignments, throw it out. (3) If the level is missing coop/deathmatch support, throw it out. (4) If the level requires a source port, but only uses one or two features of that port making it almost unneccessary, throw it out. (5) If the level has elements that slow your PC down (Knig REOL's levels, too many 3D bridges [Securitron 2]) throw it out. and finally (6) If the level sucks, throw it out :)

Ok Nick, thanks for the Jägermörder1 vote but 7th 07? Are you on crack boy? That map played like shit... I shouldn't have put those pain elementals in damnit... well that's what happens when you spend 5 min on the THOUGHT and placement of items. ;)

Guest new_name

10.Meat2 9.UFC Dead 8.Hero 7.Keep 6.Bleeding Tower of Pisa 5.Level Uno Redux 4.Euthanasia 3.Requiem 2.GothicDM2 1.Eternal DooM Thats my list. Some of these levels are quite old so I wouldnt be surprised if you havent heard of them.

I'm blushing because somebody mentioned Containment Area as one of the best new levels. I am actually in the process of updating ALL of my older maps, as well as fixing some minor concerns people had with Containment Area (a lot of people disliked the sound effects..).

Guest Anonymous User

its a pr0n game huh? i want doom up my ass!

Guest FyrestormX

Ling why didnt you post it on the main page when I told you? You ignorant basrad! :)

ag: I put 7th 7 down because it might not be one of the most playable levels ever, but it had some very neat and original ideas (the way the level kept metamorphising (or whatever) all the time), and looked great in most places. ss: I loved Containment Area, but those DM levels of yours (Nightfall, or something) weren't too great :)

i vote for 7th 07 as well. don't be hard on yourself afterglow, it's nice to have a challenge in a wad once in a while! i think that list of criteria someone posted a while back was a bit wacko in one area - texture alignment. there've been some great wads with a few missed alignments...alien doom, for christ's sakes. so, here's a somewhat random top ten list: 1. requiem 2. eternal doom (especially the levels not made by teamtnt) 3. aliens doom (scariest wad _ever_ made) 4. memento mori 2 5. memento mori 1 6. dawn of the dead 7. dweller2.wad 8. danzig1.wad/danzig2.wad 9. chordg.wad 10. 7th 07

adam: Pretty much the only Eternal/Return levels I like are the ones by Kvermno and Schmitz :) Also, I was playing the Aliens TC the other day, and I realised that the levels kinda suck compared to modern efforts... someone should make an add-on or something.

Guest Anonymous User

ARE YOU ALONE IN THE HOUSE? BECAUSE TONIGHT YOU CAN PREPARE TO DIE!!! AS THE COYOTE WILL NOT STOP UNTIL HE HAS THE BLOOD OF ALL HUMANS IN THE WORLD AND THE LEFT OVERS SHALL GO TO "DUMPY" DOWN AT THE DEPTHS OF HELL SO BE CAREFUL!!!