Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fatal

DOOM 2000 Released

Guest Fatal

That's right, TeamTNT have kept their promised and have delivered the goods. The long awaited, and much anticipated, DOOM 2000 has been released giving you a nice little new year present! I've ripped the following quote from their site because I'm too lazy to write something myself :)

Hub One is 7 levels, all nicely integrated as if it was a big huge level. If you haven't played Hexen yet, it's a pretty cool way to hook a theme together. Well, it still is, even if you have played Hexen. That really doesn't have anything to do with it.So, what's in Doom2000: Hub One? 7 levels and hundreds of new textures, new music for the levels, new sounds, a thematically associated solo play.

So what are you waiting for? Head on over to the TeamTNT site and start downloading...

Guest Anonymous User

the textures suck. wolfensteins were more eye pleasing.

Guest Xenocide

they looked quite bland, and I was expecting some insane level design.. but that only appeared in that engine core level. It seems schmitz is the only one who realizes that zdoom has done away with the vis-plane bug. It would be much cooler, and probably easier, to have audio play instead of text messages on the screen. I hate reading while playing.

Guest Rethcir

It is like Tei Tenga without a plot. I think this might've been much cooler if a nice simple stoyline had been introduced. Not a page of text in the txt file, but a few lines of intro like TT or maybe even some speech. I hope the full release is a little more absorbing.

Guest Anonymous User

Lesse if this thing uses html tags right... I'll get an account some other time.

I find this one of the more interesting Doom wads I've had in quite awhile. The blandness looked intentional, rather than a side effect of the palette. Admittedly the Kitchen level could have used some tweaking, but otherwise it looked good to me.... At least it wasn't all brown like some games or all candy coated like some others. (Whee, the Quake roller coaster!)

And for the guy complaining that only Schmitz realized the lack of visplane stuff, I'll rebut that with the fact that my system runs that area at 6 FPS. You can FEEL the slowdown! ;)

Since I don't usually judge a game on how it looks but how it plays, I'd say.. above average. Mainly because I'm spending more time sitting around hunting for switches than actually moving along. I *still* have yet to open up the transport to the environmental stuff area.

There are a couple bugs (You can get trapped on the double-vertical doors), and a few things which really should have been more apparent than they were (Bloody red door switch in the crew quarers.. @@#$&#@), but overall I'm liking the experience. (If you want to compare to other levels, I found Tei Tenga and Requiem mindnumbingly boring. Nuttin' tops Icarus and GothicDM1 as far as I'm concerned. ;))

Nothing's put up a real fight yet, but that's okay as there's next to no health and it would suck to get into a real fight at this point. ;) Have to be a careful player.

Albeit a bit rushed, I still have to say 'Bravo!' to the folks at TeamTNT.

Guest Caleb

sure i agree that doom2000 hub 1 is kinda boring looking. but remember, this is NOT the full build of the game. and if instincts serve me correctly, Ty was probably shaking his head the whole time he was uploading the wad to cdrom.com. that means that he didnt wanna release it at all because this certainly wasnt ready to be released by tnt's standards anyway. eternal doom was like this too. from the beggining of the game, the levels werent "all that" but as you progressed thru the game, the levels got more and more pleasing to the eye, same thing with icarus. wait till the full game comes out.

You're right, of course, that this is the first part of the game, intentionally made to get you into the mood of being a lone human on an alien ship. The fact that you hear alien announcements that you can't initially understand without a translator is intended to add to that effect. The butt-ugly alien textures with a fetish for green is intentional. They think differently. Intentional contrast with Icarus, for example, where the ship is "ours." We'll get off the ship eventually and there's more intensity later to the gameplay, but it is after all intended as a thinking person's game too. Actually all the comparisons with Tei Tenga and Quake2 are interesting because I've been driving this project since the beginning and only barely have played either of them. I think it's just time for something besides mindless violence. Oh, and there is a storyline for each hub--didn't have time to deal with that for this initial release. Of course there's also the concern that if you see the whole story, you won't want to investigate so much and the game might become boring as a result. So maybe the initial storyline is what you should start with as your premise. And you're right--I really had a hard time uploading this the other night, because I know it's not what it will be or even what it can be for the first hub, and it's not TeamTNT release quality. But a lot of Real Life stuff has hit me personally over the last couple of months, and so there just wasn't enough time. Still, I think it's enjoyable and interesting, and even if it's not complete or final, it's better than us putting up a few screenshots. BTW the resources in this WAD are only those actually used in hub one--there's more :)

Guest citrus

So Ty... you're saying you made the textures ugly on purpose? I honestly do NOT believe that. They're not even good technically and just because they're alien that doesn't mean they have to be ugly.</p> I sure hope the finished product will look better, because I for one can't stand playing anything that doesn't look good.

This was a great thing. I've still gotta figure out what to do next. It might have a few bugs (like one of the maps won't show up on the automap for some reason, and can someone say run away doors? ;) but it's better then anything any of you can do. I say you all pick on it because it's better then you in every way. I'd like to see youze make such a good game in such a short time. I say, it's good and that if you should go bitch at Duke. :P

Guest Levendis

How many people downloaded the 1st Hub?
My next wad is slated to be a four-level hub. It's big into music; the music is about 8 megs unzipped and compresses to about 4. It also comes with a special texture set (7 megs unzipped, 2 zipped). There are also about 3 megs of custom sounds that zip down to about 1 meg.
What I'm wondering is, are people willing to download a minimum 8-meg zip for four levels?

I would download a 4 level WAD even if it was close to 10MB if the quality was high enough. I assume the new textures and sounds add to the user's enjoyment of the level which would make it worthwhile.

I haven't downloaded Doom2000 yet and I don't intend to until the full version is available, so I won't comment on it directly, but I can't help by add my 5 cents on the subject of comments here on Doomworld. I'd like to think that most of us can rise above just saying "the textures suck" and offer something a bit more constructive. The post "Complain if you want..." is a prime example of a GOOD post. It's rational, specific and provides useful information. For the record, I disagree entirely with that particular poster's WAD preferences, but their comments are the most useful in this discussion so far.

Guest balanco

Levendis - Sunday Jan 02 23:25:50 2000 - Size How many people downloaded the 1st Hub? My next wad is slated to be a four-level hub. It's big into music; the music is about 8 megs unzipped and compresses to about 4. It also comes with a special texture set (7 megs unzipped, 2 zipped). There are also about 3 megs of custom sounds that zip down to about 1 meg. What I'm wondering is, are people willing to download a minimum 8-meg zip for four <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Scince the music takes up 4 megs compressed, why not just offer it as a seperate wad file?

Guest balanco

Test-0 - Sunday Jan 02 20:27:10 2000 - Pfft, your all blubering bout being pathetic. :P This was a great thing. I've still gotta figure out what to do next. It might have a few bugs (like one of the maps won't show up on the automap for some reason, and can someone say run away doors? ;)<<<<<< It also had leaky polyobjects (doors) on the bridge that were very obvious;) >>>>> but it's better then anything any of you can do. I say you all pick on it because it's better then you in every way. >>>>>>>> The levels were great, and much better than some of the commercial games released today. <<<<<<<<<<<<< I'd like to see youze make such a good game in such a short time. I say, it's good and that if you should go bitch at Duke. :P >>>>>>>>>>>>>> I think Duke Forever is going to be a high quality game. After all, games that take so long to produce always come out great and kick ass, right? Kind of like wine that has been aged :} When the year 2035 comes rolling along, maybe we'll get a taste of such high quality ;)

So, what's new? I guess someone won't like Doom2000 any more than they liked Pax.

I didn't purposely make the textures look bad "technically," of course. I never claimed to be up the skill level of some of the folks out here, but I do okay and the several hundred I made for the team have been accepted gracefully--no, I don't think they're afraid to tell me... :p

Still, I've had a good time making them, and they fit together thematically and with a specific idea in mind of being mostly "plastic" based materials.

Enjoy or don't. Lots of other stuff out there to play without sniping at everything I do, Ola.

Guest Cadaver

It's at least good to hear some positive comments about the release of hub 1 from all of you. Remember, we have not released the "final product" yet. We understand that there are some bugs and other problems within the hub, but also remember that this is just a pre-release of the final work being done now. We're just wetting the appetite for more and improved stuff. Everyone withing the project is working hard as a team and will give you the same TeamTNT quality that you expect. We hope that you enjoy playing the hub. Dale Harris Member - TeamTNT

Guest Spike

I would have actually liked more text, and less audio. It's true, the first hub is kinda below par. Right now I'm trying to get back out of the sleeping area, but none of the tubes seem to work. But I have faith that the full release will be better. It would be nice if TeamTNT would slowly shift away from the technology theme, and into some sort of gothic/hell themed maps. Those are always the best.

Wow, DooM 2000 is cool! The atmosphere is somehow like SystemShock (2), but for DooM! I hope that the extensive use of ZDooM features make other level authors to make (more) use of ZDooM effects!