Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

Thrust / SmashDM News

Sean White sent word that the Thrust project will be switching codebase to... quake. He has also made the Doom-specific Thrust textures and sprites available to the general public.

In other Sean-related news, a new test version of his SmashDM mod will be released soon, pending some code changes and addition of bonus stages. He could also use some more character skins, if anyone's listening. Plus, he's expecting some new sounds that ought to be quite good.

Guest Ike

It's allready begun. A Doom coder sucked over to Quake. The project as well. I just home ZDoom and Doom Legacy don't become ZQuake and Quake Legacy. Or even Buake (Boom --> Quake). Oh well, even if everyone DOES go over to Quake or some other port, at least me and my own project will still be faithfull to Doom.

...that people have the tendancy to jump on a band wagon and LOOK OVER THERE! it's the Quake Kraporama wagon. Watch as the idiots jump on in. Too bad it's full of krap. ;) Also, it's a real shame that someone would give up all their work just cauz they THINK that something is better then what they were using. Here's a little tidbit youze might want to hear: People LIKE playing Q3 with all it's blastfamus 3D stuff (I should know, I have it. ;), but they arn't going to buy any more computer krap, and are SAYING that they want a better DOOM engine to play on. You know, something that will run on HALF the computers that people have. :P Now if you'll excuse me... I have some... busniess to take care of. *runs off and gets the Thrust resourses wad* ;)

Guest DarkFang

Just to let everyone know, I am not jumping on the "Quake" wagon over here because its the newest thing out. I'm only doing this because its already got everything I could possibly want for Thrust, server/client support, internet play, OpenGL support, true 3D support, its what i imagined Thrust to be. Even people outside of the Doom community and who I knew in real-life say "Your using the Doom engine?" or "Isn't that a little old"? I'm only using this engine because its what I think the best thing for it. But, of course, just because Quake itself sucked in single player, that dosen't mean it's engine is bad. You can easilly fix that.

Sorry, but I can't see this except as a huge insult to the Doom Community. For over a year you've plugged Thrust as a Doom TC. So naturally we have been following its progress with anticipation - providing the support any TC needs to keep going. "But now... well... sorry folks... what we've said is all a lie... you won't be playing Thrust with....Doom... have a nice day." Big mistake.

Guest GordonFreeman

Quake, the perfect example of gfx vs. gameplay. Unmodded, the DM sucks, and the SP is barely passable. And it looks like turd! Funny how Q2 has a suck ass SP game, while Half-Life has one of the best SP experiences ever.

Guest balanco

Wait until they want to put the amount of detail and monsters (viewable at one time) in that us Doomers often take for granted :> Hope they can afford that 2500MHZ pentium IV.

Guest Stealth

Any serious developer is not going to go anywhere working on old crusty games. I myself am a programmer and would not like to sit with some old game for an extremely long time. The point is, developers must move on. If id did not move from Wolfenstein, there would be no DOOM. If you love DOOM so much and do not like DOOM developers to leave DOOM, then you should start programming. As equally you have better things to do than make mods, so do the mod developers.

Uh, I don't have Quake I. Does that mean I'd have to buy it just to play Thrust?

Guest Levendis

So thrust had all the features you wanted? And yet you're switching engines? How about sharing some of that source code goodness with the rest of the community? If we had server-client netcode we'd be playing pickup games of deathtag instead of the rare 1-on-1 on doomserv.

Guest DarkFang

Stealth is right, I'm really sorry about having to change on everybody and got them all hyped up from seeing the Doom version of Thrust in OpenGL, Highcolor and all that, but, Quake can handle Thrust better for what I have planned with it, like exploring temples, lush landscape area's and on some parts, you will be flying your spacecraft through the planet's orbit killing enemy's that way, its just the way to go and Quake can handle it much better than doom can. Heh, and Hyena, no, you wont have to buy Quake to play Thrust, it will have its own files.

Guest HumanError

Well, first of all, Stealth is wrong when he talks about DOOM being an old and crusty engine. Come on, like Quake is a masterwork of modern technology? If furthering your career as a programmer is what you want to do, program for Quake II, Quake 3, or Unreal Tournament (mmm...Unreal Tournament). But that's just an outright lame excuse. The fact of the matter is that DarkFang got too lazy to do the work for himself, and so instead of making something extraordinary using the DOOM engine, making something that people can really ooh and aah at, he's using Quake's engine to do what about a hundred people already have. That way he doesn't have to do any of the work. And he's foregoing the notoriety he's already acheived in the DOOM Community. And all he's left with is the reputation of a sell-out. Man, that's really weak. Chief was right, this IS a kick in the face.

Guest Anonymous User

If you wanted true-3D, client/server, and good 3D support, why didn't you just make a mod for Quake2/Unreal in the first place?

Guest David_A

If you wanted true-3D, colored lighting, client/server, and good 3D support, why didn't you make a Quake2/Unreal mod instead!?

Guest HavoC

but not the other. Sure developers have to move on to better engines. As Stealth said Doom wouldn't be here if id hadn't moved on from Wolf3D. But as we can all point out: Wolf3D was finished and released. DF, is Thrust finished and released? Ok then. Not that Quake is bad or anything and it is after all your project. This is just how many people feel on the subject. For all the programmers out there: If (Doom > Quake) return true;

Okay, I didn't want to be contraversial, considering that I'm new in the community. Don't want to start off by making enemies. <BR>But, I'm inclined to agree with Darkfang. <P>I personally prefer Doom, and I don't think the entire project should be scrapped right in the middle of it, and I hate Quake more than any of you. Trust Me. <BR>But, if Quake is perfect for what you have in mind for your project, then you should persue that. Pity you only discovered this recently. <BR>I've been working on my own personal project. Nothing anyone here would like, at least not as it is now, but I have to start somewhere. I've changed from Doom2 to Zdoom, then from Zdoom to whatever, completely redoing it a number of times. It's hard to find an engine that supports exactly what you had in mind in the first place. <P>Well, that's my opinion. Flame me if you will.

Guest DarkFang

Why re-invent the wheel when it is already there? Again, I really wish some people in here would stop looking at the game that is Quake and start looking at the engine that is Quake and what it can do for Thrust!

Guest Stealth

All of you are not getting the main idea. It is OBVIOUS DOOM is an old engine. How often do you see rooms-above-rooms in DOOM? And rooms-above-rooms is just a kind of hack to the doom engine. It's not the wonderful TRUE 3d. Quake is one of the few FREE SOURCE master-works of technology. Making mods for Quake2, etc would be good. But no body has released the FULL source to those. You all defending DOOM seem so upset that more people like Quake. Step back from DOOM, compare the two engines. Quake gives a very good step in technology. And the newer features in the industry today can be added to quake without too much fuss, meaning it is more flexible. I thought the DOOM community would be a bit excited to see the release. With excellent internet play supported, It would not bee too difficult to convert DOOM to the Quake engine. You would not even have to make models and such. You can just modify the engine for sprites. It is most likely even possible to use all of the DOOM data as is. Except for levels which would be converted, but those utilities already exist. Yay. And you can actually make REAL mods with the QuakeC (which is sytem independent I might add). If you wanted to do a little something in doom, you would have to rebuild the source. And I'm not talking about small mods which can be used with DeHacked or whatever. Darkfang is right. This is an ENGINE. This is a very good and simple free engine. This is more "with the times" than DOOM. So there's no doubt developers would love to play with this. The Quake game is kind of... just sucks. Just as much as the DOOM game sucks. But it is the mods that make them fun. Look at UT, Counterstrike, TeamFortress... In all (except Half-Life), the first game blows. Just be patient my friends. GOOD Doom internet play will come.

...you could use the 3D level stuff and port it over to DOOM. Also, you are a fu**nut Stealth. :P You have oviously wandered from QuakeWorld (or whatever the hell you call it. ) into DoomWorld, saying that we all are a bunch or retards clinging to an OLD engine. Just take a look at Quake. Does it have the speed, abilty, or cleaness of DOOM? Hell fu**ing no. DOOM's engine is art, Quake is shit on a stick. It might have a few things that DOOM doesn't, but DOOM is THE engine that started it all. If DOOM hadn't came along, then Quake wouldn't either. If I knew you at all personally, I would have punched you out. So take your pansy a** out of DoomWorld and quit telling US about your shity engine and how BETTER it is then ours and leave us to our own shity engine.... I can't believe I just called DOOM a shity engine... someone please mail me a letter bomb? :) Anywho, I've run out of steam. If I had a Webpage (or had the time to make one. ;) I would have put this there. Untill then... uhhh.... Oh yeah, get the hell out. :)

Sorry about that last post. I kinda blew my top. But still, you can't come in here and say all of that, and not expect to say something like that. Again, I'm sorry about what I said to Stealth. I blaim the whole thing on cheap drugs. ;) Also, as a small note, Quake the GAME sux, but the engine would be nice... if someone ripped it to peices and pasted it into DOOM. Be cool, and next time, I'll try not to blow my top. =)

Guest Stealth

Heh, no prob Test0. But you really should think before you speak. I would not expect that kind of talk from a half-decent mature person. All of that yelling and cursing, in the end, does nothing but worsen your position (trust me). It is possible to port 3D BSP levels to DOOM? How? And yes, Quake does have the speed. On a shabby Pentium 233 MMX, Quake is too fast. The speed is very unstable and it is unplayable. And yes, DOOM is the engine that started it all, I've never denied that. And I never called anyone retards or any other names. I still do not understand name calling. All I am saying is that Quake's engine is obviously more advanced and it can provide for MUCH more features than DOOM can with the less hassle and less time.

Guest Daggah

And, imo, that goes for ALL of them...1, 2, AND 3. Well, DarkFang, I never had any interest in Thrust anyway, but if you want to use the Quake engine, I say go for it...you were basically turning DOOM into Quake (engine-wise) anyway, weren't you?

Guest DW-Steve

If DF reads this I hope he doesn't take offense, because I'm just saying things as I see them. The main reason that everyone seems letdown that DF left DOOM is because they believed he wanted to work specifically with DOOM. This is a misconception. Many programmers who make source ports DO want to work specifically with DOOM because it suits their purposes (sprites vs. models, lowers system requirements, etc). The only reason DF used DOOM was because he needed a 3D engine that he could customize to the point of not being recognizable anymore, and DOOM was the only one he could find that had the source out, so he used it. When Quake came along, it had so many things that he wanted (and, I might add, had already programmed into DOOM) in it, that he just switched. He simply needs a 3D engine, because he's trying to make a game, not a doom add-on, so whatever's best and available, he'll go with. It would kinda piss me off though, lots of stuff he had already coded in. Do you know how much work that is just down the drain?

Guest Daggah

...you do know that running your computers without cases is a bad thing to do, right? :) It f*cks up the cooling inside the computer, which is a Bad Thing (tm).

Either way, it was cool of Darkfang to release the resource wad. No longer can TCs use the "we don't have a sprite guy" line.

...they... ummm.... suck. Hope you don't take offence, but they do. Some at least. Heh. :) As soon as I get off my lazy buttz and get to work on a web site, I think I'll try to redo these. Nice, but they lack a certain something.... oh well. Not like I'm one to talk, after all, the sprites I do don't have full quality... but thats because I'm using krappy c/p techs. ;) This garbled and almost unreadable krud was brought to you by a Flying monkey. :)

Guest DarkFang

I read DW-Steve post and read what he had to say. And what he says there is what I've been trying to say all along! I used the Doom source because I needed an engine, and that was the best and most complete one that I could find! Right on Steve! That what I've been trying to tell people all along! And uh, Test, do you know how LONG it took to make those sprites?? And for you to say they "suck"...thats kind of a downer man...

*winces* I think I should just shut up and keep my poo to myself. What do you think? :) I'll go and glue my mouth shut. Just know that It's my genitics. I have the ability to say the worst possible thing that could be thought up, so if I post again, just ignore my stupid, mindless banter. :) Try not to take whatever I say in any way, because I'm an idiot. =)