Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Sitewatch

• Fanatic has an update complaining about the cold weather (man, how I love California) and mentions that he's been busy documenting how to make add-on maps for QDOOM, cleaning up some DDF files, and other stuff.

Guest Mad Cow Disease

On an unrelated note, THANK YOU for taking down that annoying banner.

Guest HellKnight

I didnt mind it, I thought it looked cool but the message when you point the mouse over it were strange...

Yeah, the banner didn't bother me that much, really, but those messages you get when you hold the mouse over the banner are really terrible. I appreciate all your work on Doomworld but really, I think those messages are really a shame to the Doomworld reputation. I hope they disappear because there are really horrible things mentioned there. It's just shameful... :-[

Guest Levendis

It's good to see Fanatic is busting his ass to get HIS project out. I went through Doomworld's hosted sites, and here's what I found:

Ninja Doom: How long has the "prepare yourself" banner been there? Probably as long as we've been waiting for Daikatana.

Ghostbusters Doom: Who ya gonna call that will care by the time this is finished?

Hellstorm: Looks promising--lots of sprite and level work seems to be completed, and they're up to level 24 or something.

Iron Fist: The last update, from about a year ago, talks about how the wad will be released level by level "so we'll have something to look forward to." Well, guess what? I'm not. Apparently, this is just another TC with a storyline and no work done.

Mockery: What can you say about a project whose site has a 2-year-old copyright? This isn't even worth mocking.

Neo-Doom: At first I wondered if this would be some kind of weird Matrix TC (ha ha) but then I realized it was much, much worse. Don't get me wrong, it has promise, but how long has this been here? And you've just finished Map03?

Paradox TC: It looks really good. But I question the wisdom of working on a megawad AND its sequel at the same time. The team leader is in his second semester of college, which means he's probably forgotten Doom in favor of cheap beer and wimmin.

Twice Risen: There was some kind of "save twice risen" campaign recently. Did it get saved? Apparently. Will we ever see the finished product? Probably not.

Resurrection: Updated a few weeks ago, which is acceptable. The authors believe that there is something special about an "enemies list" that includes only two new enemies (why bother listing all the others?), which is not.

Wolfendoom: Game on, baby. About the only reliable TC crew in existence (deathmatch megawads don't count, boys). Can't wait to see the next Rheingold episode...

Covert Ops: TW was a lot of fun. Do we really need to learn new "tactics" for a TC that is essentially Doom with new graphics? Concentrate on the levels and stuff, guys, because I want to play this, not sit here imagining what it would be like to play this.

Am I alone in thinking it's time Doomworld cleaned house? The guys who are working hard deserve some props, but these other bums need to get the hell out.

Guest Mad Cow Disease

>Wolfendoom: Game on, baby. About the only reliable TC crew in existence (deathmatch megawads don't count, boys). Can't wait to see the next Rheingold episode... <P>Reliable in that they update, maybe, but the enemies in Wolfendoom act nothing like they do in wolfenstein. Mutants shooting fireballs, Hans Grosse launching invisible projectiles, officers with chainguns . . . it really isn't the same. <P>Come on, use some code pointers!

>Ninja Doom: How long has the "prepare yourself" banner been >there? Probably as long as we've been waiting for Daikatana. Actually our release is gonna be after Daikatana... but we're gonna have models damnit! Full GL! > Ghostbusters Doom: Who ya gonna call that will care by the > time this is finished? He released a demo, play that. > Hellstorm: Looks promising--lots of sprite and level work > seems to be completed, and they're up to level 24 or > something. Um, I think map24 was just worked on but not up to 24 is done... I dunno. > Iron Fist: The last update, from about a year ago, talks about > how the wad will be released level by level "so we'll have > something to look forward to." Well, guess what? I'm not. > Apparently, this is just another TC with a storyline and no > work done. We're not very sure what happened to the leader Grosse... he just disappeared last year... he had done a map or two for Generations (for the wolf3d section) or was working on it... who knows when he'll pop up.. I know he had the texture wad together... he also had released something but decided to take it down because there was a bug or two. > Mockery: What can you say about a project whose site has a 2 > year-old copyright? This isn't even worth mocking. Woohoo? Scott? He's abandoned Crucified Dreams too which is why I pulled my maps from the project. > Neo-Doom: At first I wondered if this would be some kind of > weird Matrix TC (ha ha) but then I realized it was much, much > worse. Don't get me wrong, it has promise, but how long has > this been here? And you've just finished Map03? Shitty E1 style maps... weird thing is the guy's names are derek and mark... my name is derek and my brother's is mark... just a coincidence? > paradox It looks really good. But I question the wisdom of > working on a megawad AND its sequel at the same time. The team > leader is in his second semester of college, which means he's > probably forgotten Doom in favor of cheap beer and wimmin. Nick is putting P2 on hold... he's still alive... He's atm working on finishing up his Darkening e2 map... tweaking and such. > Twice Risen: There was some kind of "save twice risen" > campaign recently. Did it get saved? Apparently. Will we ever > see the finished product? Probably not. Yes we will because Michael Niggel is dedicated. :) > Resurrection: Updated a few weeks ago, which is acceptable. > The authors believe that there is something special about > an "enemies list" that includes only two new enemies (why > bother listing all the others?), which is not. Well it's only gonna be a few maps.. but who cares all we wanna play is doom damnit. > Wolfendoom: Game on, baby. About the only reliable TC crew in > existence (deathmatch megawads don't count, boys). Can't wait > to see the next Rheingold episode... Yeah I love those square maps. > Covert Ops: TW was a lot of fun. Do we really need to learn > new "tactics" for a TC that is essentially Doom with new > graphics? Concentrate on the levels and stuff, guys, because I > want to play this, not sit here imagining what it would be > like to play this. This TC is gonna kickass... 10x better than TW. > Am I alone in thinking it's time Doomworld cleaned house? The > guys who are working hard deserve some props, but these other > bums need to get the hell out. I'm just afraid that Gaston will get carried away with that delete button. ;)

Guest Tawney

Okay, what would be your point in saying that I think I'm special because I have an enemies list on the page? Dude, find something LOGICAL to put down Resurrection for. When this thing is released, it's going to rock your world, so next time you want to attempt to put down all the work myself and *MANY* people have put into this project, think of something logical. Oh yeah Afterglow, episode one will have 6 levels, but there will be new episodes just to let you know. I think the map total will be around 20 or so, and you will find a SHITLOAD of new enemies and weapons (The reason I have the monsters list on there) while keeping the old monsters and wweapons.

Guest Levendis

Afterglow, perhaps you haven't player Rheingold yet but the maps aren't really that square. Are you sure you realize I'm talking about WolfenDOOM and not WolfenSTEIN? The levels aren't orthagonal except in that they attempt to recreate real locations. Real-life architecture doesn't exactly look like, say, Gothic99 :-)

Guest Levendis

Tawney, I'm not saying that your team lacks skillz or anything like that. I am simply stating that at present you have failed to bring us anything more than every other team who is planning on revolutionizing a 6-year-old game.

If so much work has been put into this thing that is going to "rock my world," should I be feeling some pre-tremors by now? Some more screenies would be nice. Update a bit more often. I mean, shit, if you're all working as hard as you claim then you should be updating a couple times a week. Fanatic is only one man, and he seems to be generating more results than your entire team.

I look forward to seeing your work. I just doubt that I ever will.

Guest Xenocide

Well, I don't really care about updates and crap. Updating a page every few days sucks. I'd hate to be Ling/Mordeth.. who seem to be somewhat under-rated. Memento Mori and Requiem never had news pages... and without news pages, not many people bitched about those projects being released. One more thing.. when working hard on a project, the last thing on your mind is html.

Guest Tawney

Just because I only update Doom Resurrection a couple days a week doesn't mean I'm not working on it. It's actually closer to being finished than you think. I'll make a progress report for you: 1) 4 out of the six levels are either totally complete or just needs final touches, with one of the other two about 75% finished and the other one just started 2) The two new enemies are completely finished 3) 2 of the 3 new weapons are completed 4) all the music (8 pieces total) have been completed, all in .MOD, .XM. etc. format That leaves one level, 1 weapon, a little tweaking, some graphics, and engine enhancements and it's done! 1st episode at least Oh and by the way, right now I'm the ONLY person currently working on DooM Resurrection. There was a team, but since they fell apart I decided to take it for myself to finish. All the help I got was for the music and 1 of the weapons. I prefer to not update so often because it takes me a good half hour to update a page, and that's when I only update the news page. This is time that could be much better spent on working on what needs to be done. Plus updating a page is quite boring. Not that updating a page every day is bad. I look up to Marc quite a bit, but there is no way I have the time or effort to be able to do what he's been doing, and with your snobby comments, lack of inspiration as well. So you think you'll never see Resurrection get released huh? Bullshit. Marc has tried out one of the levels, and he said that anyone who plays it will "shit their pants". Trust me, I'll get it done, but I don't need you to tell me it won't get finnished, and when I do finish, I'll be looking striahgt at you with a big grin on my face, ear to ear...

Goddamn Doomworld forums.. my msg came across as one big paragraph... bah, make it like notepad ling or whoever.

Guest Levendis

Tawney,
I look forward to seeing your work! Like I said I will enjoy playing it, if it's finished. Best of luck to ya.

Guest Risen

Damn straight I'm dedicated. I know my project my seem like a lot of others out there because I don't update all the time. Well, at least my project has had a pre-release. Even if the full version never gets done, there will be something because there already is. Right now I'm waiting on our resource WAD, (which has been promised for Sunday), and I've been teaching myself 3D modeling for better looking sprites. Oh, yes, and I do have a real life, which does tend to get in the way. You can only expect so much out of someone who is doing all of this in their free time for no profit. There's also a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes I don't update about, such as working with Brad Carney for new engine features. So please, before you complain, at least know all the facts.

Guest Anonymous User

I agree with xeno there. It is by far the coolest to just surprise everyone with a project when its done. Obviously there's nothing against showing what you are working on, but why can't these people wait until a substantial amount of work is done, so that the chance is there it will actually ever be released? I reckon if it were a rule to only start a webby when a quarter of your project is done, we would see only a 10th of all "project pages". If you see how extensive webpages people make with huge lists of what their project will feature, it seems if they do it more for getting attention than just the joy of creating something. This "disease" is nothing specific to doom, it happens in all communities on the net... spose it is worse in those communities which are shrinking though. --Aardappel

Guest Tawney

Just wanted to say I appreciate the encouragement. I'll email you with a nice little suprise:)

Guest Anonymous User

I will put an end to this once and for all...I suggest we move on to other topics.

When your project updates semi-regularly, say, once every other week or so, and you tell people "blah blah blah coming soon," they will be understandably perturbed when, a year later, that same news item is there and "soon" has come and gone with nothing to show.

I do agree with Aarappel in that quite a few teams need to put more work on the WAD than in the website. As for the community shrinking--it wouldn't be if certain source mod developers would recover from their cranial-rectal inversion long enough to understand that what we need is good server-client netcode...the quake source is out, go use it!