Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

Boomtown

We received word from 'Birdman' that he has released a 32-level ZDoom deathmatch TC called Boomtown, featuring 3D bridges, deep water / swimming and scrolling skies. There are lots of screenshots available at the site, if you need some convincing.

Guest Anonymous User

............wow........nuff said

Guest Xenocide

Hasn't this wad been around for like 2 months? I remember someone made me download it on doomserv.

Guest Levendis

Boomtown uses a lot of Hexen textures. The architecture isn't always as detailed as, say, Goth Doom, but it's a hell of a lot more visually appealing. There are some truly inspired, creative maps in this pack. Download!

Guest Anonymous User

this guy claims to know doom 2 for 8 years ! too bad he ripped levels, because his new monsters look neat.

I had a feeling from the second I read "32 level ZDoom wad" that it was going to be a ripoff. ZDoom hasn't been out long enough for anyone to make 32 complete levels for ZDoom only by himself. This isn't the first time people have pulled shit like this, as I recall...

Actually, Herian 2 was a 32-level ZDoom WAD and it was released quite some time ago. Actually, when I downloaded Boomtown, it reminded me an awful lot of Herian 2, but I didn't think too much of it at the time.

The reason I sent the mail on this subject wasn't so much because of the ripped resources. Plenty of people use Mark Klem's music in their WADs, and almost everyone has used the Gothic or Eternal textures at one point or another. The problem is because THERE WAS NO PERMISSION granted for the use of these things. Some people don't even require you ask them; all they want in return is a simple credit in the .txt file. This wasn't even provided by the 'Boomtown' author, and doing it now wouldn't mean anything since this Birdman fellow was trying to make it look like HE made everything. THAT is the real reason to get pissed.

Guest Anonymous User

In reply and defense for me and my game ! I did all the level designing. If anyone who has seen this game knows alot of work went into it. As far as doomword claming me of ripping off people there wrong. My best friend designs for Team TNT and had told me that I could use there material. I had talked to TY at team TNT and he didnt have a problem with it either. My clams are true and if anyone is upset about it thats there problem. I would like to see them come up with something as good. It took me a year to put this game together. 6 years ago I started putting together all my textures music monster and so on. So all you sceptics out there you know now how this was all put together. Wadauthor cad, Wintex 3.4 Compilar, Paint Shop Pro. Were used to to make Boomtown. Boomtown is a great game to play and if you read my review from the Review Center, and have played it then you know it was worth it. So have a nice day :) Birdman

Guest citrus

Seeing as this set of levels relies heavily on Hexen resources (sprites and textures), that alone is a sign of warning. Most people who use those also do crap-ass levels. The only big exception I can think of is Mordeth, and he is at least clever enough to re-do them somewhat, so they're at least partly his work. The levels (and I only played 2 or 3) were absolute crap from what I could tell. Absolutely worthless gameplay, way too large and they didn't make good use of the powers of the zdoom engine anywhere.

Needless to say, this was crap, and when he has to rip people off to make something this crappy, what would it look like if he did it all himself? Actually, I *DON'T* wand to know that, it was a rethorical question.

Guest citrus

Birdman you asshole, you did not create a single sprite or texture for boomtown. Don't try to take credit for something you didn't do.

Guest HellKnight

How about coming up with your own ideas you uncreative lying prick. You deserve all the bad attention you're getting.

Guest Aftershock

from Birdman's website: "I'm 41 and was introduced to Doom2 8 years ago." The shareware episode of Doom was released just over 6 years ago, and Doom2 was released a year after that. Either Birdman is lying to make himself look cool, he has a really bad memory, or he has a time machine he's not telling us about.

I recall this person asking for permission via his friend Chris Couleur. It was given, but it's sort of ironic that he misspelled Chris's name in the text file in the only attribution he provided. Anyway, I rejected this wad twice from cdrom.com, once in November and again at the first of the year.

My point is, he had permission granted for Eternal resources, but the wad was not acceptable for cdrom.com, nor will it be after this furor.

Birdman wrote me a snippy note recently about his rejection from TeamTNT like we lost something because he was finished with his project and we were going to have to take whatever levels someone could make. Heh. Get over yourself, Scott. We're doing fine.

Guest Anonymous User

If you have been to my web site and read my history you would understand this. From 1993 till last winter I had put 5000 hours of work putting together a TC doom2 32 level game. Since the release of the source codes 2 years ago I wanted to put together a very nice game for everyone to enjoy using ZDoom. I also wanted to do something that was awesome to play and visualy sweat. My best friend designs for Team TNT and gave me permission to use what I wanted for the eternal doom3.wad I had talked to TY and he didn't have any problem with it. As far as the level designing goes ! I did all the levels my self !!!!! I spent 8 hours a day and my weekends from the time I woke up till the time I fell asleep at my PC working on it. The only level that was from the doom2.wad is the Chasm. Known as Birds Chasm now Level 29 I think. The one thing I have found out through the years is you can't please everyone, and there are always a sceptics out there. I'm a Landscaper by trade and have the whole winter to sit back and play or design and thats what I do. My girl friend can vouce for my design work since I'm always asking her advise. Enough said about the levels. If you want a great game to play download it. If you question my work read my review from the Review Center. Check out my thumb nails. You be the judge. I get mail around the world on my game and it has been the same. Man this is Great !! Doomfreak who runs Doomshack knows me and my work if you need more convincing. I'm defending my self because anyone put in my position has the right to be herd and to stake his claim. If you have a problem with my game and what I have done! I chalange YOU to try to do what I have done. Some people are in mature and quick to judge what they do not know. My tools used were Wadauthor Cad, Wintex 3.4, and Paint Shop Pro. Birdman

Birdman,

Apparantly you are still missing the point here. You used other people's levels and textures without giving them any credit for it, exception being the Eternal resources and a shaky exception at that. You need to write a text file which you distribute along with your WAD file in which you give credit to -ALL- the people whose hard work you have used or modified. That is, IF you actually had permission to do so in the first place.

As things stand now, you have -stolen- other people's work and tried to pass it off as your own. Sad thing is, you don't think that is wrong.

Guest Xenocide

His ISP was contacted? What the hell? You people are friggin weird. it's a game... no, it's an addon TO a game. It isn't that serious. And I don't think he stole levels anyway, I glanced through all 32 maps a few weeks ago and it all looked original to me... maybe sailor could point the copied parts out???

Guest Toady

Took me about 5 seconds to find his page using a search engine. Read his description with an open mind until I came upon one disgusting line (quote): "Doom2.wad Available upon request, 5.9 Megs Zipped." That says it all.

Guest Doomlegend

Birdman, you still think you did a right thing, well you didn't. Damn you think you worked hard on it, us doomers probably did most of the work for you...!!!! nuff said, i'm pissed!!!

Guest Anonymous User

...that the link is not available on the front page but it's still there if you look at the comments?

Guest Anonymous User

so why does the first map have stuff that says welcome to eternal requiem ? :)

Guest MrMGA

I don't give a rat's ass if he ripped off levels or not. All I know is, it is an AWESOME TC and I'm glad I downloaded the bastard before the link was deleted. I'm on Level 3 now, and that under water monster is kicking my ass!

Guest MrMGA

<<so why does the first map have stuff that says welcome to Eternal Requiem ?>> Hey, I saw that, too. Why DOES it say that?? Where's that Birddude guy? Please explain yourself.

Guest HellKnight

If you like the levels so much, then why are you defending him??? Why don't you thank the original authors for their hard work like he never did?!

Moral issues aside, the legalities of this are, I would say, a very serious breach of copyright law. It wouldn't surprise me in the least for this boy to receive a cease-and-desist order from Raven Software in the near future.

Yes it's just an awesome tc with everything ripped from every resource around... get some talent buddy. I'm not gonna even bother downloading the waste of a zip. Hexen monsters + shitty looking levels = another suckass doom2 addon.

Guest Doomlegend

I emailed him, bitching at him and told him to confess and tell me where he got his stuff and this is what he had to say: "Resources Of Boomtown Hexen.wad some textures and monsters and music Heretic.wad some textures and monsters music Unholy Trinity.wad some textures Eternal Doom3.wad some textures and music Edm.wad some music Polarisx.wad some music and sounds aol midi files some music in there archives Some textures reworked for smoother painting Pain Shop Pro most of the sky textures were from different sources and were cut and pasted to my likeing. Paint Shop Pro. All Sprites are for both Hexen and Heretic wad. Sounds for Monster Hexen and Heretic wads Ambient sounds Hexen wad Level Design by Birdman Wadauthor Cad Program Wintex 3.4 Compilar Paint Shop Pro ZDoom Engine A special thanks goes out to the people who designed the list of wads above. It was there hard work and efforts that help make Boomtown the game it is today. I wanted to create a world of its own and apart from everyone else. With the hopes of the creator and for the love of the game. To share something truly unique. It wasn't ment to piss off everyone."

There is a difference between attempting to pass something off as your own work and merely borrowing resources IMO.

Reminds me of the time John Martino forgot to credit a few people innocently and then got flamed endlessly. Why not ask "Birdman" to just fix the problem with a proper credits list instead of bagging the shit out of him!?

well, i haven't got this mod yet, but...why doesn't someone make up a list of all the things that were ripped, and where they came from?

Guest Anonymous User

32 levels for ZDoom doesn't take a long time.... when i was 10-12 i was making tons of levels with my friend, we made in 2 months time like 15-20 levels, all good quality, with some new original ideas (some weird) but it all worked out... i just don't like listening about birdman anymore its boring me :) (too bad i lost all my original maps *sniff*)