Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
covaro

Fraggle My Rock

Oh yeah baby! New in the world of SMMU? Well, someone is a little upset over certain peoples comments and has become even more inspired to create his networking code to perfect p1mpage. There's even a pic of some of the new network code in action. Now, I've got $20 that say's he gets it done. Whose up for it?

Guest Anonymous User

doesn't pay to bet against the covster :)

What does the picture tell us about SMMUs networking code? nothing? Or are the red arrows drawn by the program? :)

Fraggle: I think people are skeptic about networking code because we have heard it before. How many people/projects have promised networking code only to die? Only second to GLgraphics this is the second most promised feature in ports but one of the last to be implemented. Also, I may not understand the full scope of the network code(or plans to code) but what good is this code going to be? If it's not true client-server then your not breaking any major grounds. A big undertaking, yes, but we've seen mocked/psuedo client server before. If the doom player wants LAN or modem to modem then doom2 exe is perfect for that(of course w/o MBF support). What they want is to play over the internet with speed and convienance. ACK...I hope this wasn't more confusing then helpful.

what do you mean by "true" client server? do you mean open entry games because that is a totally different matter altogether. Although I believe it is possible for some limited kind of quake-style "hop into the game once its already started" networking in doom, doom certainly isnt designed for this. Adding this into doom is going to be messy and thats why i'm not going to even attempt it. What I am doing is completely (more or less completely anyway) rewriting the networking code. You will be able to start games from the menus as you do in quake rather than using command lines or external launchers. You will be able to search on the internet for other games awaiting players to join. I am including internet support and speedup options for internet play. It may not include open-entry games but surely that isnt everything to internet play. As for the picture, yes it could be faked. You will have to believe me when I say that it is not.

Guest Anonymous User

My knowledge of network code is about as good as my knowledge of Chinese (Rice, noodles, beef & broccoli, and that stuff w/squash that's kinda dark, and looks spicy, sir.). Fraggle knows more about what's possible with Doom (without turning into a strange, unrecognizable mutant), network code, and all than just about all of us. I think he's setting reasonable goals, and I hope his project comes to fruition. BTW, DAVID ARKENSTONE RULZ NEW AGE! It sends your mind on a long, philosophical trip... sweet. -Dennis Guilder

I did NOT say that I think it to be fake. I believe what you say, but the picture is sort of useless, since it only shows two players. A cool feature I'd like to see is to be able to join a DooM multiplayer game with a whole network over internt :)

I didn't mean open entry games. While that may be nice what I was thinking about was a SMOOTH game of Doom over the net with something like a gamespy interface to help find games. That's all I've ever wanted but to my knowledge no one has ever got that right. My understanding was that doom was peer-to-peer and that because some people had slow connections(like modem's - I've got one too) it slows the whole game down for everyone. But my understanding is with "true" client server then it would be scaleable. [Reading the features of the previous update shows that you are trying to implement this]. BTW, off topic, what happened to that Jan5th update where you promised a "small release in a week". Let me guess...when it's done?