Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

HACX Available Again Soon

Rich Johnston sent word that he has permission from a former owner of the now defunct Banjo Software company to distribute the full version of the commercial Doom II TC "HACX" for free. A date for this hasn't been set yet, but you'll hear it on this space first!

Guest HellKnight

This is good news :) Cant wait for this.

Guest Rick Clark

This really is good news. With the mod that allows Hacx to work with ZDoom you could make some great maps. Rick Clark

Guest Jim Bentler

I looked at Hacx a while ago. I thought it looked cool, but I couldn't imagine playing Doom anymore without hi res. I tried to extract the dehacked patch from the newly created .exe, but it didn't work.

Guest ThE NoraD

For all those who want to play hacx when it comes out on higher ports, i've extracted the .deh file so z-doom holders can play hacx on high res (bah, in my day we had crappy resolution and we liked it!!!) and add all those cool map effects. I'm working on a partial addon to hacx using some new dehacked code i've been fucking around with, so it should be cool. I'm looking to see that this cool T.C. is avabile so everyone can enjoy its coolness. Alright, time to celebrate, whered that beer bottle go?

Guest Anonymous User

Just wondered if I was the last earthling to actually BUY Hacx!?!? I switched mac to pc in fall98;got hacx about spring 99.....do i get a no-prize? Great to hear someone's working to make it zdoomable.....

Guest Nostromo

Hi, guys. Just thought I'd pop in with a comment or two. I will be releasing the game within the next week or so ...I'll make an annoucement to it's grand opening. I hope my bandwidth doesn't get blasted. 8-D. I have a request and you may want to spread the word around. I'm going to make my sight THE Official Hacx site. As such, I'd like it to be a central location for mods, add-ons, etc ...generally anything having to do with the game. So, if you have add-ons, send me a link along with a description and I'll put the link on the Add-on File Download page. I think I mentioned this before but keep in mind, the add-ons you have now may not work with the version I'm releasing so you can either hold off on sending me the links now to see if it works or can be modified or, when you send it, make sure to specifically note that it's for the CD version of the game. Personally, I'd try to modify your add-ons to the new version as it's obviously going to be the most distributed version.

i'm curious. what exactly was the problem with the cd distributed version of hacx? and did the version the team got (we downloaded it from that ftp site, iirc) have the problems in or not?

Guest Nostromo

Once we established a final version, one of the owners of Banjo decided it would be more "user friendly" to game editors if the texture names were switched to the familiar Doom2 names. However, in the process, some of the textures within the game inadvertantly got switched to new textures. Some of these textures were just "slivers", as we called them, to act as place holders for future textures. So, in various parts of the game, you may see a weird texture that looks like it's made up of thin stripes along the wall. This is particularly noticable in level 12 when you enter the air conditioning area on the top floor of the hotel ...at least that's where I first noticed it on a blatant level. As far as the source port, someone else will have to work that out ...all I have is the final version of the game. However, there is no special coding in this game. It used the Doom2 V1.9 engine and, even though it's a total TC, it was all done with Dehacked. It was made prior to the Doom2 source code being released and we did not purchase a license for the source. Our license was limited to Hacx being an add-on.

Guest David_A

The reason for there not being a single Strife port/mod/etc is simple: The source code hasn't been released.

Guest Anonymous User

We didn´t have any Hi-res, Zdoom hacking or (god forbid) resolutions higher than 320 * 240. And you know what? I had to play Doom Episode 1 in Low detail and I liked it, alot!

Guest Anonymous User

What is Hacx help somebody! please!

Guest Anonymous User

I have the shareware version of it and I played it on Doom Legacy/GLLegacy and it worked fine.

Guest IcarusWing

Free things are good things.

Guest Anonymous User

You may know me from the fact that I was the other music composer on Darkening2* (ie. the music that got missed out by accident :), but I have to say that I was in correspondence with Rich (Johnston) a while ago (he was part of my development project TOJ) and he did mention Hacx. I almost said "As Banjosoft has gawn bust, how about you post up the final beta of Hacx on your FTP site for me to play?" Well, now I needn't do that! * I posted anonymously because I couldn't be bothered to create an account.

Guest ricrob

well well...if it isn't rich johnston. :) hey man! notice how batman doom is beating out strain...notice how strain is in last place...wonder if any of todayz doomers have even played all of these megawads/tc's? hmmm...anyways, cool beans on the release of HACX...can't wait.

Guest Anonymous User

Yes folks, that's right! You've been able to play HacX in high resolution with all the populour Source Ports since November last year! Get my HacxPort.zip (only 81KB) at Walnut Creek. It's in the same directory as the official HacX Shareware.

Guest Sparky

Sparky here... (of KISS Software fame) I just checked, and you can get my hacxport.zip (83kB) to run HacX with the Source Ports here: ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/themes/hacx/hacxport.zip I've heard it also works fine with the registered version.

Guest Sparky

I also noticed people mentioning Strife, so while I'm here I should plug my latest release - you can get StrifeDoom also at Walnut Creek. The news sites pretty much ignored it, but if you're into Strife (and who isn't) you'll enjoy this Doom2 remake of The Tarnhill Commons - the central hub of Strife: ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/ports/s-u/strifed1.zip

Guest Sir Robin

I have official HACX T-Shirt and the original CD ;)<P>

Guest 5150

I'm looking for a copy of these from wizworks

Guest Anonymous User

I contacted the Strife owners about it, and according to the reply I got, they actually *ARE* planning to release the source code to Strife. It's been a month or two since I e-mailed though, so I'll contact them again on it. I'd *LOVE* to be able to play Strife in GL mode. :-)

WTF? I've emailed Rogue in the past and they've told me that the Strife source would probably never see the light of day due to legal entanglements. Could you forward me whatever you got from them, saying otherwise?

Guest Sparky

Does anyone even know who used to own Velocity Inc? Because it was a "joint partnership" with Rouge, surely they have access to the distribution rights of the source code. I'd actually give my left testicle for a high-res port of Strife! Maybe the whole Doom Community can get together and petition Rogue!

Yes, the developers of Strife have expressed great interest in releasing the source code of the game but they always mention that they legally can not. The developers of Strife would release the code this second if they could but they can not. It is highly unlikely we'll see the code in a reasonable amount of time.