Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

HACX Update

After pulling the free download of the once commercial Doom II TC HACX because of bandwidth problems, it has once again become available thanks to the generosity of, well, us :) You can get it as before at Nostromo's HACX site. The Dehacked file is now included, but for those who have downloaded it before you can also get that file seperately. You're also encouraged to donate a few spare dollars to Nostromo to cover the bill his ISP sent him for exceeding his bandwidth.

Shouldn't he have known that his server had bandwidth limits?? I know I certainally didn't.. Jeepers!

Guest Nostromo

I was aware of bandwidth limitations and I knew I would probably get charged with something. But I also estimating roughly 300 downloads the first day and then it would calm down. I never anticipated over 1600 downloads in 33 hours. Since most of these downloads occured while I was at work, I couldn't monitor what was going on. Also, I only exceeding bandwidth once in the past and at that time, I received an automated warning prior to being charged. I assumed that if bandwidth was exceeded this time, I'd get a warning first at which point I would pull the files. But I didn't get a warning ...I just got charged. I wrote a letter to my server apologizing for the excess use of bandwidth and they said, "Not a problem. We didn't have any trouble handling the bandwidth, you just get charged for it." I've considered changing servers but no one in the area even comes close to the technical superiority Sonic has in its equipment. As servers go, it's the best ..period. But, like all servers, it has limits and I exceeded one of them.

Fanatic had such a hard time selling his CDs for such a cheap price... In that case people were actually getting a product and they still wouldn't send their money.

What are the chances of people just giving it away?? Zero. Nostromo - if I was you I'd attempt to bargain the bill down a bit first. Call them up and explain the situation at least, and how you're stuggling to pay etc. You'd be foolish not to try :-)

Guest Anonymous User

That may be true, but, Nostromo has let us download HACX for free. And then got slammed with a high bill that HE has to pay regaurdless! lower or not. The right thing to do is send him a couple of dead pesidents to help the guy out! So come on Doom Community, Show your support, and send in a few bucks. My $5.00 is going in the mail this weekend. : ) Doom Wad Yellow Pages

Guest Anonymous User

Here's the link to the deal. More info tonite: Omaha World Hearld Link <font size=-1>Disk]PQB[ dies in a fit of agony.</font>

Guest Anonymous User

WTF has Beemer Neb. got to do with Doom let alone HACX? :/ Support the cause, send Nostromo some of the change out of your cyberdemon bank. :)

I'm not saying people shouldn't send money, I am just saying it won't happen - go ahead, prove me wrong :-)

Anyway, it would cost me literally $25 just to send $5 which I am not inclined to do... I bought 8 CDs this week which was fairly expensive... :-P

If you're from Australia, then forget about it.. Anyway, hey Nostromo.. I'd like to send something, but I'd have to convert it to $American. Would you accept an international money order?

If so, I'll be sending out an international money order for $15 American the next chance I get. It's a great deal for such a great game.. You're American, right?? Hey, whose name should we send it in?? I.E. pay to the order to... ?? :-b

Guest Anonymous User

Chief OUCH!!!! I can understand why you can't! AndrewB Way to Go Man!!!!! That's cool I may have to add more now : P Lets do our best to prove Chief wrong : D BTW Sorry about the anonymous postings I can't find were I wrote down my password : P Doom Wad Yellow Pages

Guest Nostromo

A lot of people have sent me E-mail saying that their checks in the mail. Yeah, Chief, it's one of the 3 big lies and you probably know the other two but hey, I believe them. Anyway, yeah, I suppose I can take an international money order. A bank ought to know what to do with it ...at least I think they would. Money is sorta their thing, you know? Make it out to Rich Johnston and my address can be found at http://www.sonic.net/~nostromo/contact.html And, once again, thanx for the support.

Actually, money orders are cashed at the POST OFFICE. You see, how it works is, I pay the post office $15 US, plus shipping, plus $3.25 for the money order, and when you recieve it, the post office pays YOU that $15. Assuming of course that you can properly identify yourself! ;)

Guest Nostromo

They can also be deposited in the bank, just like checks. I've deposited several.