Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Doom Arena Demo

A one-level demo of Doom Arena has been released. The authors says that he stresses "that this is a demo and will still need a few tweaks to it before it is a finished product."

Guest Anonymous User

Not bad....I think it has potential.lots of little hide holes and ledges,plays quite well too......

I hope the walkthrough for the levels isn't as confusing for the walkthrough of the site. <P>However, I can sense a lot of creativity from this guy. Did anyone see screenshot 2 of map 6? It looks very simple, but I never would have thought of it.

Guest Anonymous User

I'm jason sloan from doomarena.Thanks to hyena for the comments on the levels.The site I will endevour to make easier. although I have to say that the level 1 demo I released, in my opinion sucks. maybe I just been looking at it too long. It was the first though and maybe ill scrub it and change it b4 release. This Is just cutting my teeth so to speak for the star trek tng tc i'm going to do.no mean feat by myself but there.

Well, I'll look forward to some later levels. I just downloaded the first level, so I can't comment on it yet. <P>Keep up the good/nice/fair/okay/bad/great work. Pick one.

Hmm. I liked it. The only parts I really disliked was the surprising shortage of weaponry and ammo. I'm the sort of player who likes to have four different weapons at once so I can decide which would be most suitable for the area I end up fighting in.
But I like the layout and textures, and the monsters are a nice touch.

Guest Anonymous User

Hiding is the best way to get killed, all the other player has to do is see and your fucked

Guest Anonymous User

when I said hide holes I just meant somewhere to snipe from. if there are enough of these that reduces the risk of being spotted.In the middle of a frag fest having somewhere to over look the proceedings and a big gun is an advantage

Guest Anonymous User

me again.like I have said this is just a demo the idea in the release of this was to get a feel of what I am trying to do.you (hyena) so far are the only person to give me real feed back.....more guns and ammo??????????? so it shall be. glory be and thank id for doom......Face.uk DoomarenA

Guest Anonymous User

by the way level 8 is now in progress and the ceiling goes all the way to 1500 and contains an APOLLO SATURN V ROCKET. it just looks awesome as im trying to keep it to scale .....face.uk DoomarenA

Guest PennyWise

Well, first of all, I didn't expect nothing from this project, and once again found out why this project hasn't gotten almost any attention. Maybe it plays well, I haven't tested it in deathmatch, but the rest was really below today's standards. The layout was confusing, the architecture was, well, inexistent and last, but not least, THREE CHAINGUNNERS!! If this is a DM level, why the hell do you have to put monsters in it?!! And I saw someone even said "the monsters were a good touch". WHAT?! How can three monsters in a DM level be a good touch?! This level really ends in the endless flow of mediocre Doom levels that no one will remember.

Guest Anonymous User

Thanks for your comments on the demo.Mediocre? well thanks for the compliment if you had read a previous posting of mine you will see that I think it sucks.The layout was confusing?? what bit were you confused about mmmm? I found doom confusing when it first came out but I got used to it.I'm sorry its not simple enough for you. The monsters were left in by accident as I was still debating if I should put them in or not.I also see that you are a member of a team where as I am one person and this is my first project.This sort of comment reflects what Andrew of this is doom was saying on his homepage. Finally how can you comment on somthing you have not even tried....oh right wait a minute you mean it didn't look good enough it didn't have 3d bridges and the like.well Im sorry I do not know how to accomplish these tricks.All I was trying to do was to make some levels to the best of my ability and hope that some people might enjoy them....maybe if you go and play it (not just walk around) you might enjoy it although I won't hold my breath......FACE.UK DOOMARENA

Guest Anonymous User

By the way in 16 weeks I've had 3314 visitors Im sorry you don't consider that much attention I on the other hand am extremely happy....Face.uk DoomarenA

I don't know what the big deal is. I mean a simple -nomonsters switch on the commandline is all that's needed to get rid of them if you don't want them there. Besides it gives you something to do when you check the map out in sp mode :). I haven't played the map in a real deathmatch, but I noticed a few things you might want to consider. 1. Animated textures should be kept to a minimum in DM levels. 2. Textures with strong color bias should be avoided. A player with a bright red or orange uniform would have a decided advantage in certain areas of this map. 3. Areas with damaging lava or slime should be kept small. Usually to provide a hazard where powerful weapons or powerups are kept. If there is too much, it impedes navigation, and really sucks the fun and playability out of the level.

Guest Anonymous User

mmmmmmmmmmmm Good points....hadn't thought of that.I shall do something about the lava as that was max damage.maybe extend the metal wallkway.The bright colours had been bothering me as well another fix that needs doing.Thanks for the help and tips Face.uk DoomarenA