Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

More Doom 3 Opinions

Gameslice's Geoffrey Keighley has voiced his opinion on the new Doom game. Overall he seems to be pretty mixed on the issue. Here's a snippet:

In twenty years when I think of Doom I want to remember downloading the 1993 shareware version – I don't want to have the pellucid brilliance of that moment tarnished or clouded by a "restored" version of the game that was released a decade later. Even if the new Doom is an absolute masterpiece, it will still inevitably be compared to its prequel.

I think the general thread in most people's opinions is "if it's great, then cool, but if it's not so great, it'll just tarnish Doom's legacy, so be careful, id."

Doom 3 is bound to disappoint pretty much everyone in some way, however minor, so how about the existing community get together after Doom 3 is released and make a TC for it, "Pure Doom" or something?

Guest Mattrim.

That does it. Today, I'm wearing my Darth Maul t-shirt. Preparing wars, watching empires burn, and aurally interpreting pictures with Eldon Chorashan's legendary "Kirlian audio" sound analysis software. Audioluminescence, baby.

Guest Kusturm

Ever since releasing the Doom titles and the subsequent anticipation of their next title after that, Quake, IdSoftware have become the Chocolate Factory of the FPS gaming world, with John Carmack being the rarely heard from Willy Wonka and every new title they release creating as much furore as in the legendary movie itself. Think how much Id could have screwed up since Doom - I think they've done pretty well in how they've chosen their projects in the past, and I doubt they'll dissappoint us in the future.

Guest SUICIDAL

I absolutely agree that ID must be extremely careful in the creation of Doom 3.That is that over the 7 years that have passed since the creation of the original Doom, Doom has become something like a "legend" to all us hard-core players that have been playing Doom right since the beginning.Imagine how all these people will react if they find out that the the legendary Doom has been recreated just to meet today's standards and sell. I don't know for others but it would hurt me much to find out that my favorite game was ruined for money. Yet I do hope that my sayings will be proved wrong and Doom 3 will live up to legend of it's predecessors.

Guest Anonymous User

hi [p] bye

Guest TheRequiem

ID will do it, shit.. Settle down everyone! I want a godamn new revolutionary Doom game that should be better then the first one.

Maybe id'd better call the game something else, not DOOM. If they still want to make it a DOOM 'sequel' game, that's fine, and even include all the DOOM characters or objects they want. But the name... that's not right. No.

Guest Caleb

YOU GUYS ARE ASSUMING TO MUCH OF A BIG DEAL OUT OF THIS. IF YOU DONT FUCKING LIKE IT, THEN DONT BUY IT. FUCKING ASSHOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!. AND YES THATS ALL THE DOOM COMMUNITY HAS EVER BEEN A BUNCH OF ASSHOLES, CHRIST I CANT EVEN SAY HI TO 1 OF YOU GUYS WITHOUT GETTING TOLD TO GO TO HELL GROW UP DOOMERS!!!!!!!!!! AND GET A REAL COMPUTER! FUYCKING ASSHOLES!

Guest Anonymous User

i totally agree with caleb. stop crying for something that you haven't even see

Guest Daggah

Sorry, but the logic holds true. And you can NOT say that it'll be great.

Nick, you go ahead and do that, if you feel the need to waste your time. I ask you, why? Why finish yet another unfinished id Software game for them?

I feel fine and DOOM is wonderful. An archvile just roasted me.

Guest Confusion

"THATS ALL THE DOOM COMMUNITY HAS EVER BEEN A BUNCH OF ASSHOLES" says Caleb.

Hmm. I must ask - if we are all assholes, why do you come here?

I like Kusturn's Willy Wonka analogy though - very accurate, that.

Guest Gorc

If DooM is a box of chocolates, the Imps must be the ones that taste bitter and have nuts in them, and the soul spheres the ones with double layers of chocolate and a sweet creme centre. Oh, and that must make the Cyberdemon the choc thats so hard it makes your teeth fall out when you bite it....

I never said I'd do it; in two years time I'll have just graduated from university (hopefully), so I probably won't have time, what with looking for a job, etc. But you do raise a good point; lets hope that ID don't end up releasing a million and one patches for the new Doom game like they've done for all the Quake games.

Guest Anonymous User

Well, I got suckered into another one of Keighley's long winded, pointless, crybaby editorials. Anyone remember the Blood2 end-credits fiasco where he whined about being a victim of his own fame? All I could think was "who the fuck is Geoffrey Keighley?" Now, he spent all those words to say - IF IT'S NOT GOOD, DOOM3 COULD BE BAD! Duh, you're a moron. I have no worries at all. The fans love DOOM, id loves DOOM, Carmack loves DOOM. They will do a beautiful job on it.

Guest Anonymous User

This is good damage control for id after what happened with generations... Even if it sucks (DooM3) I am going to enjoy the game at least once to get my moneys worth.

Guest Anonymous User

Personally, I'm just going to wait until more info is available, before making any assumptions about how the new Doom is going to be.

Guest IcarusWing

It's only a prequel if it's made after and set before. He means predecessor.

Guest giltygear

when you think about it real hard, all it's gonna come down to is this: If the game is good, then people are gonna play it. if it sucks cheap, skanky ass, the you will ALWAYS have the original to fall back on, with all the ports, levels, and whatever keeps gettin thrown at us. I've seen a lot games on the consoles get so hyped-up that when they finally do come out, everyone is going to think that it sucks ass. Of course i'm going to look forward to it, but i'm also not expecting it to be the world's most perfect game, either.

Guest Anonymous User

I think Doom III will be a blast, it might even be a bigger hit than the new Wolfenstien coming out.The guys at id software done such a good job with DOOM,DOOM II,Ultimate DOOM,Final DOOM,they will do a great job.I cant wait to see what the UAC will be doing next!!!

Guest Anonymous User

Doom 3 will be good, I can feel it.I am a big Doom fan, and I know that it will be super!But it wont be the same feeling of Doom since John Romero wont be in it.I think Doom 3 needs all the same stuff from last, UAC, Mars, Hanger & Military Station, & to hell with the BFG 9000!.Move Return to Castle Wolfenstien, START ON DOOM 3 NOW!!!

Guest Anonymous User

No info right now on Doom 3 is availible.So please dont panic id fans, Doom will be good.What I and id call it is up to us.Right now plans for our next Wolfenstien is in full swing.Since John is gone, we really dont know what to do.American McGee is also having plans in motion to take the new project "Doom" in motion.Due to reasons I cant say what the new Doom will be called or any other info.I just happened to be looking at the Doom websites created by people.And I am sure that Doom World will provide you with plenty of information. Thanks, Tom Hall id Software

Hey Anonymous User,

Next time you try to impersonate someone, at least get your facts straight first. Heh :)

Guest Anonymous User

I have a comment about Tom Hall, I dont know if it is him or not, really don't care, but if it is him then what he is telling us must be all the facts?

Guest Anonymous User

Hey Tom, if its you then give us some more info!!!Anyway, my thought about Doom 3 is simple, just let the first screenshot come out to judge it folks, and if that is Tom Hall, well, lets hope he is telling the truth.But hey what the fuck, its just a damn game, LETS BE REAL!My outcome when it comes out about 9 out of 10 Doomers will rush out and buy it, hey, who knows it might even make top 10.

Guest Praetorian666

All that id has to do is somehow work this level into their game and it will be a great success. Unfortunately, I can't think of a good way to end such an extraordinary level, any ideas? Anyone who has seen the labrynth knows what I'm referring to when I'm talking about the stairs that went every which way. Why not take that environment, place it in a large sphere that rolls around (not too quickly, otherwise it would be impossible to do anything) while the marine is running and blasting away at imps, and all he has to do is get to the top of one tower, get the key from there, and then open up the door at the center of the sphere (gonna be tricky getting there, hehe). After stepping outside the sphere he hears it start rolling again and leaps out of the way. The giant sphere rolls into a wall and crashes through it, leaving a big opening through which imps later charge in by the masses. Of course you don't have time to look at the pretty sky outside the huge building because the thing(s) that was rolling the ball is pretty pissed that it's gone. They should make it a huge zombie with a face made from the "Can I play, Daddy?" logo in wolf3d. OMG! (I'm brilliant!) People are probably already saying that I'm crazy, but I'm not...done! To kill the big-ass babyface-zombie, you have to hide until you have it timed just right, and then leap onto his pants or gun or shirt or something and then climb up do his face and bust open the passiphire (sp?) and then climb in his mouth. since there is a part of the passifier that you can't hurt with your gun, you don't have to worry about him chewing you (I think there should be something bad happen like the baby shoot himself in the face if you shoot his cheeck.) btw, the baby's pistol that looks like a rifle isn't a standard weapon for great biggie guys like him, instead it's a cannon, i mean that's only fair, right? After you get in his mouth you have to use some sense and look at which hole his saliva moves towards when he breathes in (of course the babyface-zombie has to breathe, i bet you'd shake him too you bastard!). Of course you can go down either one, but it's a choice of going into the lungs and having to avoid every single little thing trying to suck you into his (acidic) blood stream, or simply going into his stomach (where your handy dandy MarineSuit2000 will keep you safe from his stomach acids). Oh well I need ideas on how to get him out of there, at first I was just saying chainsaw his stomach but then, in my doom3 the blood would be much more acidic than the stomach acid. How, you ask? He's a fucking zombie! Stop asking stupid questions, please :) I know I haven't posted really anything here before so I am technically a newbie, but do you really know any newbies as creative/insane as me? Naw... Well I hope not, I mean if someone has already done the babyface-zombie thing, well then i could, i could, i could give him the evil scientist from wolf3d's 2nd episode! I don't really like to admit this to anyone, but I'm still too scared to even get to that scientist (god damn mutants make me piss all over myself :( Plz someone reply and gimme an idea on a way to end this level that will put all levels made in any other game to shame. So this is what you think about when your brain is desperate for zzz.

Guest Confusion

You sure a prequel has to be made after?