Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Skulltag Beta Released

The Skulltag homepage has been updated with the release of a single-player beta version of the ZDoom-based deathmatch mod. Here's some info, ripped from the page:

Included in this beta (although it's more of a demotest), are three new built in deathmatch maps (scenario 2), and two extra maps (including stctf.wad), demonstrating ST's ability to be extremely flexible in the area of gameplay.

A couple VERY important notes on this beta:

• Client/server has NOT been implemented yet. That will be sometime this week. I will release a new .exe as soon as that's finished. This demo is single player ONLY.
  • Some people have reported the bots crashing games almost right away. We haven't figured out exactly what's casuing it yet (as far as I know, it probably has something to do with hardware or some settings), but it will be fixed shortly. If you're one of those few people, I'm sorry :)
  • There are two skin wads in this beta. Place them in your doom2skins directory. They will then automatically be loaded on startup.
  • A lot of things haven't quite been finished yet. Basically, if it doesn't look or seem, or just not so good yet... we're working on it :) (that includes the bot AI, too)
  • A new beta will follow shortly with client/server support and several bug fixed (hopefully!).

What are you waiting for? Go get it!

Okay, had I known this was such a frequent problem, I would have held off until I fixed it :) Heh, really sorry about that guys. I'll have this fixed ASAP.

Okay, this version's a bit of a downgrade, but it'll prevent bots from spawning so you can at least run around and look at everything :) If you're having problems with the bots, just overwrite your old skulltag.exe with this, and you should be able to do everything just fine... except playing the bots.

Removes the bots? That seems to defeat the whole purpose of this single-player beta release.

Guest Confusion

There it is, "Skulltag" again. IT'S SKULL TAG, DAMNIT! TWO WORDS! [b]TWO!!!!

Guest Anonymous User

Whose cares about the crashes, it's going to be finished soon and then you can frag bots all you want. The thing rocks man! Sgt Crispy

Great! Simply great! The bots do not crash any longer with the original .exe and I must admit that Orion kicked my ass the first time I met him :) If you do not have downloaded it already, do so!

Guest Risen

Anyone like the railgun? I did that. (Hands were added by Edmundo Bordeu) I'd like some feedback, please.

Oh, but you're all still missing the best part of Skull Tag... Skull Tag! Right now it's just Q3-style Doom with some extra items.

Soon.

Guest Pikoro

I can't play with the bots... but I test all weapons of the MOD and the RAILGUN is KICK ASS!!!... is a great weapon... and the effect of reload is very good, and you can change the color of the shot (such quake 3) with the command "railcolor" 0-9... I only wanna play skull tag in a SERVER!!! }:-/ ... (sorry for the bad english)

Guest IcarusWing

How did you fix the bots?

Try to re-boot Windows. That helped for me. Looks like it only crashes when your (or at least mine) system has run for a while. The railgun looks cool, but I'd more like the Q2/3 single-shot style than the 4-shot one.

Guest Anonymous User

I just d/led this. Drooool... Time to waste me some bots!

Guest Anonymous User

if you want to use bots with older EXE that Carnevil released, use the ADDBOT command in the console. Unless you already knew that.

Hmm... I think I may know what's going on. I think it's crashing for you guys whenever the bots try to talk... which would explain the time of all the crashes. Try doing this (with the .exe found in stbeta1.zip): skulltag -file st.wad +set botchat 0 This will turn bot chatting off, and hopefully <crosses fingers> it will work for you guys alright. Big thanks to Mike Tawney for coming up with this theory. Good luck!

Oh yeah, also make sure your skin wads are in your doom2skins directory, and not doom2stbetaskins dir. Heh, I think I screwed up things with WinZip somehow, so they went there. Between that and bot chatting, hopefully that'll fix your bot crashing problems.

Guest IcarusWing

They still crash.

Guest Anonymous User

Graphics, I just want feedback on the graphics...

I've been waiting for this for ages :) Now all that's needed is the CS Doom code, the GL Zdoom code, and a flamethrower...

Guest Tawney

Let me rephrase this for people who are familiar with the "" key Okay, when you unzip skulltag, A subdirectory is going to be made call stbeta, and in that subdir is another one called skins. In that directory are two files. You need to take those files, make a sibdirectory called skins in the directory where skulltag is, and put those two wads there this will give you the massmouth character and the doom crate as skins