Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

QDoom Public Test

Following the announcement of the EDGE v1.24 release, Fanatic has uploaded a public test of his QDoom TC, showing off some of EDGE's amazing features such as 3D levels. Needless to say (or so you'd think) you do need the latest EDGE version to play this Quake-to-Doom conversion. Download, play and be merry!

Hmmmmmmmm.. I haven't downloaded EDGE yet.. I suppose I will. Should I or shouldn't I? Should I download the test? Hmmmmmmm.. :|

Oh yeah, and this had better be first post.. :-b

Guest Xenocide

I'm not going to download it. Would rather play the final version without knowing whats going on ;)

No, I've decided. I'm not downloading the test. I'm waiting for the full version. :-b

Guest Anonymous User

Even if you don't what to download EDGE for QDoom, you can see some great features and test out the new demo wads

Guest Firebrandt

I dl'ed it. IT TOTALLY BLEW ME AWAY!!!! ...it ran a bit slow though, but I chalk that up to EDGE's alpha-ness. Donwload it you guys! It rocks!!!

Guest Anonymous User

GOD DAMN!!! That kicked my ass up and down the block and back! You guys seriously HAVE to grab this demo man, this the best thing to happen to Doom since the source code release! After playing for about 5 minutes, I TRUELY thought I was playing Quake! No lie! Plus with the Fragging Fanatical CD (you do have the CD right? Right?), oh god I was in pure heaven! I want that full version really really soon Fanatic. I KNOW this will go down as probley THE BEST Doom TCs ever created. Must go play the demo again... Get the demo people! NOW!!! "Keep on QDoom'n!!!" :) Sgt Crispy

start map + 3 maps. i'm going back to play (just died in map01). dark, humid... i do wish edge had DOOM's mouse support: if i press both buttons they don't work; with DOOM (plus any other port) i could fire & more at the same time, with edge, no. don't tell me i have to change the key-binding setup just for edge, i wouldn't be able to play doom(2).exe well anymore. bark! bark! andrewb you have no excuse, dl it an' play just one map... heh.

Guest Confusion

Oh my God. That is one fricking hell of a good demo. Honestly, it's shitloads better than Quake. Honestly, to those of you who are waiting for the full version to be released before you download it, don't wait. Please. You'll be kicking yourselves latter.

Guest LordUnum

Looks very, umm.... Quakey! Sweet FX, and layout tho. Still has shades of the Doom atmosphere (the "Doom" in "QDoom", thank goodness!), which'll probably make the end product very playable, enjoyable, and addicting perhaps. :-)

It is obvious that a good amount of time & effort went into this project, of which I'm very thankful and appreciative of, Marc. Now I just can't wait to see the havoc that mean, ol' "polar bear on steroids" will render.... ;-)

Guest mystican

what an excellent job marc's done with this TC. the amount of time and effort that's been put into converting *everything* (literally) from quake is quite incredible. however, it's a shame he didn't apply his efforts to something a little more worthwhile, because this final product is uglier than quake (quite a feat), *much* slower than quake, and i simply feel that with the leaps that have clearly been made with the edge engine it could have been put to so much better use than recreating what in itself was not a very good game to begin with. just seems like a bit of a waste. nonetheless he should be congratulated for putting in the time to convert this, but at the end of the day that's all it is: a conversion. ok, it's got different level designs but those could have easily just been made in quake. its sad how much of the energy that undoubtedly exists in this community is entirely misdirected. i hope someone in the near future comes up with a really worthwhile use of the edge engine, although looking at the performance of this test it's going to need considerable optimisation before it becomes playable. 10/10 for effort, 2/10 for attainment.

Guest Sethsez

It is a great demo for EDGE, I'll give it that. However, as a game, it just isn't fun. It takes the bad parts of Quake (monsters and weapons) and mixes them with the bad parts of Doom (sprite enemies, not normally bad, but when you see these ones.....). To be honest, I was never looking foward to it though. I already have Quake, why would I want it running on the Doom engine? Oh well...

Guest Fanatic

Try this: qdoomtst -noextra

That turns off the rain and looping ambient sounds. The rain slows things a lot on 'slower' systems. It ran ok on my P200MMx 64 megs of RAM, but on low resolution (320x200 16bit color).

Glad most of you liked it. :)

Guest Anonymous User

Man that rocks! I own Quake, and I think QDoom is much better than Quake. The level design rocks, and it has the physics of Doom. The special FX were awesome. If only the REAL Quake were like this(I mean the environment, not the graphics. The graphics are very cool for Doom, though.) I also liked that the enemies were easier to kill than in Quake. Not that they weren't difficult to fight, though.

I thought it was great. It perfectly emulated the style and atmosphere of Quake, and if it weren't for the small reminders now and then that I was playing Doom, I'd actually think I was playing Quake. <P>I agree with Confusion, it's better than Quake. I've only played the first level, but the enemies are a bit few and far between for Doom. You need Quake's atmosphere with Doom's gameplay, and that means it must be packed with monsters. <P><BR><BR><BR>

Because on my system the framerate just draaaaaaagggeeeeedd. Mind you, I hit IDCLEV-MAP14 etc.. and regular Doom levels seemed to play even a little faster than usual (at least, faster than ZDoom on the same res in software mode), so I'd say size and complexity might have something to do with it.

How optimal is glbsp? It could be that the decency of the nodes has something to do with speed (I'm guessing here), and heh.. there's even a slime trail in that big area with the drawbridge in the first level of the first realm (try climbing out of the water the drawbridge is over and walking away from the drawbridge).

Also, EDGE guys, maybe support for a properly pregenerated PVS is in order here...?

Guest mystican

That's all very well, but I found that the raindrops and such very much added to the game and it would be a shame to remove them. Framerate is consideration #1 in game design, don't forget.

Guest Fanatic

Anyone having problems with slow framerates, could you please email me your system config/specs? (operating system, CPU brand and speed, system RAM amount, and video card type and RAM amount)

The only people that should have speed problems are systems slower than a P200 and 32 megs of ram.

I'll do what I can to help, could be an engine problem, or an issue with DirectX.

Also, if you are having slow framerates with EDGE32 and have DirectX 7, please go back to the EDGE website, and download the DOS version and give it a spin. The only drawback is on WinNT and Windows 2000 sound won't work, but it would be good to know if it runs better or worse. It will run from a DOS prompt within Windows 9x just fine tho, or from pure DOS (assuming you have your sound card setup properly).

Thanks for all the input too.

Guest mystican

Well the system I was using to play it on was a p166 with 64mb of ram and some video card i forget the name of with 2mb of ram, running win95osr2. I was using the win32 version of edge though, so I will have a bash with the DOS ver (and maybe even Linux). This is just an idle query and it's probably explained on the EDGE page but exactly how difficult is creating levels for EDGE compared with say boom/mbf?

Guest Anonymous User

Two things of important note here. QDoom pushes EDGE to quite an extent and the engine itself is not optimised. So its not going to be any surprise if its not as fast as it could be. Remember EDGE internally is very different from Doom, new renderer being the biggest change. I will add to Marc's commenst by saying that using EDGE for DOS in Windows NT / 2000 is not recommended. Its always best to check you have uptodate drivers for your GFX card.

Guest Fanatic

Not that bad. It's exactly the same as with any engine, the only difficult thing is extrafloors, and a few tries with that and it's pretty easy. I'm using DOOMCad 5.1 too, which is a very old editor, and I had no problems making QDOOM.

You also have the demo levels at the EDGE site that show how to make them (EDGEDEMO.WAD is one I made that shows off extrafloors very well), my tutorial (which should be there now), and QDOOM Public Test to study. The QDOOM test abuses 3D floors a whole lot, so you have some simple and complex examples to work with.

Guest Tawney

The monsters need more HP. How fun is it to fight those knoghts when you can take them down with a FEW nailgun shots?

Those levels were really inspired! The only problems I have are with EDGE. You know in doom how if you slide against a northern wall you will go super fast? Well, in EDGE, if you slide against any wall, you go super fast :(

The frame rates are low in the Dos version (even in 8bit color) and I have a P2 300! I have not tried the windows version yet..

Also, has anyone else noticed that edge's water has gaps in it? Take a look at a pond in low-rez and look at where two sectors meet. There are gaps where the lines of a sector connect with another water sector.

Other than Engine issues, QDoom r0x0rs m3 d0wn!

Guest Anonymous User

First of all, I find it really hard to slag you off coz you obviously put a lot of work & love into this project. But this has to be said...

First of all, the engine. I get about 5-10 fps on the lowest resolution, on the same machine that runs software quake at 80 fps and quake3 at 30-40 fps... That is just not acceptable.

The biggest problem with the graphics itself is the colour. Lighting & colour in general works quite different in doom than in quake, for that reason quake works best with lots of samey looking textures, as you get the atmosphere from the lighting. Doom can't have similar contrasting lighting, and as a consequence qdoom looks like one big pixelated mush (irrespective of resolution).

level design is by far the coolest part of qdoom, but to be honest the bits were "3d" is used are hardly necessary and don't enhance things that much. You doomers are WAY too obsessed with "3d", I love doom and think almost anything can be done in 2.5d, it even adds to the game.

In conclusion, I think qdoom could have been a lot cooler with the same maps (but without the "3d"), with more colourful and diverse textures, and running on regular engines (so I could play it with Jdoom :)

Guest Anonymous User

ling the user/pass system is royally screwed and suck badly. I'm sure I put my pass in. hello? cookies?

Guest Anonymous User

I have a P225 with 48 RAM and Qdoom is way to0o0 slow! It's nearly unplayable on my system.

Guest Anonymous User

To all those people who have said there are problems with the EDGE Engine are the let-down should remember that QDoom would not be possible without EDGE, which is not even at BETA stage. We can't do this sort of thing without a bit of belief. As a member of the EDGE Team, I can say that Marc & Covert Ops Guys have worked some earlier engines with had no sound, no music, very little control, a lot slower graphics and were a lot less stable. You've seen the end results for yourself in QDoom, thats an achievement. I'd like to thank the people who have said good things about EDGE and obviously QDoom because it offsets two years on people saying "it will never work, your engine is crap". For people who said it is slow, bare with us, it will improve - its not even out of ALPHA stage. Anyone else with anything more further to say please contact us.

Guest mystican

One thing qdoom has done is made me pretty excited about EDGE. If they can sort out the optimisation issues and make it run as fast as possible then it could be an excellent excellent engine. What issues would surround adding 3d accelerated rendering capabilities? About the 3d parts, I'm sort of with Aard on this, it doesn't add *that* much to qdoom. On the other hand it is pretty nice to have it in there and I'm sure that with a bit more imagination in level design it could become an extremely cool feature. This doesn't reflect badly on Marc, it's always hard to use new features well the first time they're available (look at quake1 for examples).