Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Build Source Released

Not Doom, but what the hell. Ken Silverman, author of "that other 2.5D engine" entitled the Build engine, which powered games such as Duke Nukem 3D, Blood (a favorite of Mordeth's), Shadow Warrior, and on and on and on, has released the Build source over on his homepage. While I don't expect much to be made of this in the world of Doom, it is interesting nonetheless.

Not Doom, but what the hell. Ken Silverman, author of "that other 2.5D engine" entitled the Build engine, which powered games such as Duke Nukem 3D, Blood (a favorite of Mordeth's), Shadow Warrior, and on and on and on, has released the Build source over on his homepage. While I don't expect much to be made of this in the world of Doom, it is interesting nonetheless.

Guest Jim Bentler

Randy Heit's next-generation doom engine was going to be a build-like engine. He apparrently put that indefinately on hold and along with it doomscript, which was supposed to be similar to unrealscript. I wonder if this means he can either borrow some code from the build source, or use it to speed up the process of creating the new engine by providing a model. Unfortunately, its been quite a while already since his last release date. If he wants to keep up with Edge, he'd better release something good soon.

Guest Jim Bentler

Randy Heit's next-generation doom engine was going to be a build-like engine. He apparrently put that indefinately on hold and along with it doomscript, which was supposed to be similar to unrealscript. I wonder if this means he can either borrow some code from the build source, or use it to speed up the process of creating the new engine by providing a model. Unfortunately, its been quite a while already since his last release date. If he wants to keep up with Edge, he'd better release something good soon.

Guest Anonymous User

This is GREAT! This will most definately help the Doom engine and Community.

Guest Anonymous User

This is GREAT! This will most definately help the Doom engine and Community.

Guest Xenocide

slants... those were the only things that duke nukem really had that doom didn't.

Guest Xenocide

slants... those were the only things that duke nukem really had that doom didn't.

proper bridges, room over room, up/down looking (without perspective correction) and rotating objects. Also swimming and gay monsters?

proper bridges, room over room, up/down looking (without perspective correction) and rotating objects. Also swimming and gay monsters?

Hehe...gay monsters...gotta agree with you there...

Anyways, Randy Heit has put a hold on his new engine while putting Heretic and Hexen support in ZDoom. But I suppose with that, it wouln't really be Z'Doom' anymore. My guess is, once he releases 1.24 with Hexen support, he'll resume working on the new engine.

Hehe...gay monsters...gotta agree with you there...

Anyways, Randy Heit has put a hold on his new engine while putting Heretic and Hexen support in ZDoom. But I suppose with that, it wouln't really be Z'Doom' anymore. My guess is, once he releases 1.24 with Hexen support, he'll resume working on the new engine.

Guest Rick Clark

This is interesting news. I was wondering if/when this was going to happen since the success of the Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Quake source release. I feel that for 2.5 engines, Build was the best. Duke was a little too silly to play single player with the dumb monsters they had, but some of the add-ons were pretty good. I played an Alien-type map which was excellent. Shadow Warrior was quite good. Build really has some nice features that I would love to see in Doom, but I really doubt that you could use any Build stuff in Doom. The engines are quite different.

Guest Rick Clark

This is interesting news. I was wondering if/when this was going to happen since the success of the Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Quake source release. I feel that for 2.5 engines, Build was the best. Duke was a little too silly to play single player with the dumb monsters they had, but some of the add-ons were pretty good. I played an Alien-type map which was excellent. Shadow Warrior was quite good. Build really has some nice features that I would love to see in Doom, but I really doubt that you could use any Build stuff in Doom. The engines are quite different.

Guest Rick Clark

I just looked at Ken's page and found out that this is the original Build engine, not the Duke or Shadow Warrior engine. The screenshots look pretty good though. I hope someone ports it over to Win32 since it is DOS right now.

Guest Rick Clark

I just looked at Ken's page and found out that this is the original Build engine, not the Duke or Shadow Warrior engine. The screenshots look pretty good though. I hope someone ports it over to Win32 since it is DOS right now.

Guest Anonymous User

Someone needs to make a build for doom, it is so much faster than any doom level editor. I can make levels about 10 times faster on it.

Guest Anonymous User

Someone needs to make a build for doom, it is so much faster than any doom level editor. I can make levels about 10 times faster on it.

Guest Argh!

The Build engine actually has many improvements over Doom's engine. Some features have made it into Doom source ports, but many havent (yet). Some of Build's features (not all are necessarily part of the source release): * sloped floors/ceilings * rotating & sliding sectors * room over room (in fact, overlapping sectors can occupy the same vertical space... it's multi-dimensional! ;) * true sector-based bridges (added in Shadow Warrior) * stackable sprites * flatten & orient sprites (wall decals, bridges, etc.) * scalable textures & sprites * texture color changing (more variety, colored lighting, etc.) * translucent walls & sprites * interchangable flat/wall/sprite graphics * mirror effect * per-surface lighting (not just by sector) * look up/down * swimmable water (translucent surface added in Shadow Warrior) * 3d voxel objects (added in Blood) * dsp sound effects

Guest Argh!

The Build engine actually has many improvements over Doom's engine. Some features have made it into Doom source ports, but many havent (yet). Some of Build's features (not all are necessarily part of the source release): * sloped floors/ceilings * rotating & sliding sectors * room over room (in fact, overlapping sectors can occupy the same vertical space... it's multi-dimensional! ;) * true sector-based bridges (added in Shadow Warrior) * stackable sprites * flatten & orient sprites (wall decals, bridges, etc.) * scalable textures & sprites * texture color changing (more variety, colored lighting, etc.) * translucent walls & sprites * interchangable flat/wall/sprite graphics * mirror effect * per-surface lighting (not just by sector) * look up/down * swimmable water (translucent surface added in Shadow Warrior) * 3d voxel objects (added in Blood) * dsp sound effects

Guest Twitch

Don't forget the texture over texture. Makes Level building cake becuase you make a texture property to light and then slap it any where and, presto, you got light. Also you can make words and stuff

Guest Twitch

Don't forget the texture over texture. Makes Level building cake becuase you make a texture property to light and then slap it any where and, presto, you got light. Also you can make words and stuff

Guest ORKFACE

He desinged the entire duke engine. In multiplayer it Fucks up big time it crashes all the time I get "OUT OF SINC" mesage's even on serial cable which doom has never done. It's multiplayer has more bugs than a person covered in honeyand tied to a ant nest!. Atoimic has good multiplayer and it wasn't done by him!

Guest ORKFACE

He desinged the entire duke engine. In multiplayer it Fucks up big time it crashes all the time I get "OUT OF SINC" mesage's even on serial cable which doom has never done. It's multiplayer has more bugs than a person covered in honeyand tied to a ant nest!. Atoimic has good multiplayer and it wasn't done by him!

Guest Gorc

Too true,Orkface. While the credits for Atomic do state his input into the engine, the multiplayer code for Atomic was not done by him. In normal, vanilla Duke-3D the multiplayer code WAS done by him. It also shits me when you spawn on top of each other, and it causes build to think you are, in fact, the same guy, and as such crashes. OUT OF SYNC. I also think Kens other game, Ken Labryinth, which crashed so much on my old 486. It had more bugs than a table full of woodworm. And the picture of Ken on the title screen of it was gay too. Hmmmm, now thats a thought... All in all, Atomics Multiplayer rocks, Duke-3Ds sux, Ken Silverman couldn't program his way out of a mainframe... and DooM still rocks. You don't see any Duke Legacys around, do you?

Guest Gorc

Too true,Orkface. While the credits for Atomic do state his input into the engine, the multiplayer code for Atomic was not done by him. In normal, vanilla Duke-3D the multiplayer code WAS done by him. It also shits me when you spawn on top of each other, and it causes build to think you are, in fact, the same guy, and as such crashes. OUT OF SYNC. I also think Kens other game, Ken Labryinth, which crashed so much on my old 486. It had more bugs than a table full of woodworm. And the picture of Ken on the title screen of it was gay too. Hmmmm, now thats a thought... All in all, Atomics Multiplayer rocks, Duke-3Ds sux, Ken Silverman couldn't program his way out of a mainframe... and DooM still rocks. You don't see any Duke Legacys around, do you?

Guest Anonymous User

Yeah, Gorc, you sure do not see any "duke legacys" around. There is a simple explanation for that one...the build source code was not available until now. wow man.

Guest Anonymous User

Yeah, Gorc, you sure do not see any "duke legacys" around. There is a simple explanation for that one...the build source code was not available until now. wow man.