Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Warlocker

Doom 3 Console Port

--I ask that only people with knowledge of all three consoles reply.--

XBOX: I remember that a while back Carmack (not sure if it was him) said that the Xbox would be the most capable console to port D3 to. I was a little confused about this, because to my knowledge, Doom3 uses OpenGL. The Xbox uses DirectX 8. Wouldn't they have to re-write huge amounts of the engine in order to support DX8? However, the Xbox does have the most RAM (64megs SDRAM, shared) of the three consoles and has an extra vertex shader, which would help with all the effects. It also would have some frame rate problems with all the texturing done in D3 because it can only render 4 textures in one pass.

NGC: The Gamecube uses OpenGL to power all of it's games, so I think that it would probabbly be the easiest to port if it was done correctly. However, the Cubes more limited RAM (24megs of TSR-Ram for graphics, 16 megs of A1-Ram for Audio) could make this a problem. The TSR-Ram is about eight times faster than SDRam, while the A1Ram is REALLY slow.. Texturing shouldn't be a problem because the GCN can do eight textures in one pass. Also, the A1Ram could be used to store the AI for the less sophisticated enemies. The gamecube also has lots of preprogramed code into it, wich means it can preform certain functions alot fast the Xbox or PS2. This could help out with some the pixel shaders that D3 uses. However the lack of another vertex shader could be problematic.

PS2: I think that if a port was done to PS2 it would be butured. The PS2 uses standard SDRam (32 megs, all purpose) and can only do 1 texture per pass. The PS2 can push the most polygons of the three consoles (but will never reach its full potential), but when a texture is applied the framerates drop tremedously. Because it's RAM is used as all purpose, you most stream everything off the disks and to the vector unit (v-units are kinda like dual processers, which makes the PS2 very a very efficent polygon pushed, but harder to develop for).

------------------------------
I realize that probabbly wasn't written too well, so if you don't understand something or just think Im a crappy writer, ask a questions!! :)

Just so you know, this isnt a "LOLS no only on Xbox KTHXBY" thread. I would prefer if you would post the reasons why you thought that. It's called a disscusion. ;-)

PS2: Possibly, but with worse graphics.
Xbox: Probably, but then I'll have to waste $200 bucks.
GC: NO. The only reason why Resident Evil in on GC is b/c Nintendo published it.

Heh. I guess your one of those people who think Gamecube is 'kiddy', eh? Well let me tell you this:

1. Resident Evil was not published by Nintendo. Capcom (the same company that made the game) published it, AND made the entire sereis exclusive to GCN. And of their own free will.

2. Two words: Eternal Darkness. ;)

Now, back to the topic.

It depends on who ports it and how good a job they do with it.

If someone did a Xbox and PS2 port in 6 months, then neither version wouldn't look too good. If on the other hand, an experienced company chose to spend a lot of time optimising the engine & rewriting code for a particular console, and also took the time to make other improvements/additions compared to the PC version, then it would look a lot better.

It could even look good compared to a top end PC perhaps.

Warlocker said:

Thank you, Livo, for being the only intelligent person to reply to this thread.

maybe if you looked through the forum, you would find the answers you seek...

there's a lot more but i don't feel like wasting anymore time just to prove a point, or to go on about this subject which has been talked about many, many times before.

anyway, hope those threads help you out.

I have looked at those threads, and most of the people in there don't have through knowledge of the console hardware or Doom 3's engine. Granted not much has been revealed about the engine, but I pretty much know all that on can know at this point. So yeah, those threads are retarded. If you read my first post, and considered the points, you could actually explain *why* the Xbox would be best. I know that the post wasn't the best ever written, but I was in a hurry. So if there's anything you don't understand about my points, ask. Mmmkay?

Warlocker preached:
I have looked at those threads, blah blah blah, i'm the greatest, blah blah blah. Mmmkay?

uh, this is doomworld, not console-world. and like i said, if you take time to look through the forums, you might find more info. however, you seem like you desperately need attention, so i won't take whatever spotlight you think your under away from you.

Warlocker said:

If you read my first post, and considered the points, you could actually explain *why* the Xbox would be best.

Because there's a GeForce3 in it. 64Megs of memory, a fast processor and more geometry processing capability than a GF3ti500. Hence, of all the consoles out today, XBox is the only likely candidate for a Doom 3 port.

If that answer doesn't satisfy you, you'll just have to go ask John Carmack himself.

PlayStation2 is too weak and doesn't have a texture compressor like the Xbox and Game Cube has. The Game Cube is little more powerful than the PS2 but i think that Doom3 would be better of on the Xbox

Yeah, but if I remember the GameCube has an ATI card in it, considering that the same team that developed the recently released Radeon 9700 is the same team that developed the Gamecubes chip, and was also released after the Radeon 8500. Of course I'm not completely accurate, I'm not saying I am, but the cube despite having less over all system ram and features, can do some amazing stuff.
The Xbox card is a Geforce3/4 hybrid. The Base capabilites of the GF3 and as flathead said, the geometry processing of the GF4.

Carmack himself, (sorry can't remember where I read this) has mentioned that a Gamecube port isn't out of the question a PS2 port would have to be severly butchered to get it running.

Technology forum.

the gamecube is just as well equppped to handle to handle doom 3 as the xbox for reasons already explained.

SEARCH tyhe forums before posting again