Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

Trent Reznor On Doom3 ?

There's an interview with NIN's Trent Reznor on Apple.com. Nothing that would normally interest me, except for the following part:

Then he confides that he’s been talking to John Carmack about scoring the music for a new version of Doom. "I would do something like that mainly because it’s a hobby of mine, I appreciate the technology, and it’s fun to work outside Nine Inch Nails once in a while."

Quake was fun because they didn’t want hard-rock goofy music going through the game,” explains Reznor, “it was all about atmosphere at the time."

Thanks to bluesnews.com/]Blue's News for the scoop.

Guest Anonymous User

common now no one wants shitty slow music while blowing away hundredz of demons. doom3's music has to be intense fast heavy crap to match the action. hmmm...i just had a beautiful idea!!!(go to the doom3 forum to see it) nin would be perfect for quake since it hardly has any action...

Guest Anonymous User

Quake's soundtrack sucked. Trent Reznor sucks. Bobby Prince rules. We WANT "goofy" hard-rock in the game, you 90's goth-wannabe industrial poser. Doom will suck with just boring industrial, ambient, atmospheric shit. It needs rocking music. E1M1's music, anyone?

Guest Anonymous User

He never said that it would be slow. Just ambient. Which means it fits the mood of the level/area in question. If you're blowing through thousands of demons, then something upbeat would be appropriate. but if you're being stalked around something like final doom's archvile maze, you want it to be more moody and slow.

Guest Mattrim.

...cool. =) You go, Trent!

This is one I might just have to skip if Trent gets involved. You'll notice how everything he is ever involved with goes to hell. I am surprised he wasn't the leading man behind Daikatana. Then again, the game did have more than one color and one time period and one weapon so I guess that clears him...

Guest Anonymous User

it cant be that bad u know i think nin is great but if u think the music sucks u can probably just turn the music off so dont diss nin so,quake just failed cuz it sucked,not because of trent reznor.

Guest Anonymous User

The reason Trent Reznor's stuff was in Quake was because id wanted atmospherics. If you think Reznor's stuff sucked, you should have checked out Quake II's soundtrack, which has hard-jamming industrial rock for a lot of its tracks. The Quake II soundtrack only had one atmospheric track, unlike Quake, which had only one hard-rock track (the second track, since the first track was not audio) that went atmospheric after it got to the half-way point.

Guest Caleb

lut and all you guys who have your own opinions are such opinionated people. why dont you keep your mouths shut and let the rest of the doom community make up their mind without your fucking help! i happen to have met trent when he played in cleveland and hes a great guy. if you dont know him and his personality,. then dont knock his tunes cause God knows you couldnt make it if you wanted to get your dick wet in a bowl of jello! which brings me to another point. if i remember correctly, eternal doom's music was mostly slow, and if i read correctly, everyone loved that megawad. its a wonder that any of you negatists bought anything above a p3. Doom 3 is trying to be a new game, but no one wants that to happen. i dont think for once that i got the problem here. if anyone disagrees with me, then go visit http://www.teamtnt.com anbd then click on the doom revisited page. and then go fuck yourself! and in reply to AU NIN MUSIC SUCKS, have you ever listened to skinny puppy? i dont think so!

Guest Gorc

Well, I always found little difference between having the cd in and not when playing Quake I. As such, I normally played it without the cd. Quake IIs tracks were cool, though. Some of Quake IIIs are good too (only the so called "hard-rock goofy music" that Trent doesn't seem to like.) Long live Bobby Prince music! Visit his website at "www.bpmusic.com" to see the current thoughts of the maestro of hell! And Keen. And Duke.

Guest Gorc

Incedently, according to Bobby Prince E1M1s music is called "At Dooms Gate". Just thought I'd mention it, as everyone seems to think its a good track (me included). Once again: "www.bpmusic.com" Read up on the latest news in the world of Genral Midi Music. Purchase a CD. Listen to audio tracks. Send your regards. Go on.

Guest Mattrim.

Lüt, Lüt, Lüt. The soundtrack that Trent Reznor scored for Quake had absolutely nothing to do with the playability of the game. Quake's playability was due to decisions made within id Software, not because of the soundtrack. Also, everything that Trent Reznor is involved with does not 'go to hell'. The commercial and critical success of the entire Nine Inch Nails discography, especially The Downward Spiral and The Fragile, is proof of that, not to mention Marilyn Manson, who's bestselling and best album, Antichrist Superstar, was produced and arguably co-written by Trent Reznor. Bravo, my friend. What a brilliant set of conclusions you have reached. At least you had the courage to reveal your jackassery to the public rather than mask your poorly reached conclusions behind anonymity.

I'm crying here :( This is bad. So very bad. I don't usually have opinions this strong. I don't want that guy anywhere near the new Doom game. Lut is right.

Heh. I don't see where people are getting the idea that all of BP's Doom music is 'hard goofy rock' - heck out E1M5, E1M8, ...

Guest Anonymous User

Alright, first off i'd like to say i'm a hugeee NIN fan. So much infact NIN is practically all that i listen too.. ironically however, i don't want trent to go near doom at all... let's face it guys quake1's soundtrack stunk and it didn't fit *AT ALL*. Quake 2 was a little better but too heavy for the game, white zombie did a nice job on 1 or 2 songs. I really don't think that trent can contribute music that would fit DOOM in any matter.. Solution?.. bring back the DOOM music god, Bobby Prince!.

Guest Anonymous User

I doubt if trent could reproduce the unique and moody music that was in the original Doom games. Not one of the singles he has produced by himself of for nine inch nails sounds anything like the music bobby prince made. I hope that the new Doom dosent loose the musical sounds which made the originals so great. Why don't they give princes original tracks to some real life musicians and get them to create versions using real instruments all goofy rock like, orchesteral and ambediant like tracks?

Guest Anonymous User

i'm kind of indifferent towards NIN music, i have to be in a sertain mood to really enjoy it.. and i dont really think Doom fits the criteria, if the gameplay going to be fast paced, lead pumping, screams filled atmosphere, nothing short of fast, ruthless industrial, heavy metal will do. i'm sure trent is a cool guy, and he doesnt deserve flaming for his music (if you have problems with it. turn it off and put something else on, thats what i do) but i really think something like Rammstein, Pantera, Rob Zombie, Deftones, Amen or even some harsh n heavy trance tek typothing(theres tons of heavy/fast bands out there) would do much better for DoomIII. (PS: iD, please PLEASE dont screw this one up)

Guest Anonymous User

Having him would TOTALLY fuck up the atmosphere. Orchestrated music is the way to go. Say that Im an idiot if you want, but I reckon it would sound kickass! Oh, and if that kinda shit does get in, make John Williams to do it!

Guest Wyvern

I think that the soundtrack should contain many diverse types of music. Personally, I kinda like the idea of Trent doing the soundtrack, UNDER ONE CONDITION. He should taylor the music to a lot of his earlier work, with lots of "WTF is that static-growling-angst noise all about?"

I really liked Pretty Hate Machine, and I think that if he doesn't focus all on ambience and focuses more on what the level's music should feel like, then it wouldn't be so bad. He's proven he can make some really friggin' angry shit with Head Like a Hole and Starfuckers, Inc.

I think Rammstein would throw some good tracks in, simply for the fact that they throw synth in with grinding-your-teeth-until-your-gums-bleed guitars, and it sounds GOOD together. I think they'd do nicely.

Or, they could do something REALLY cool (but would never happen): get Bobby Prince, Trent, and Rammstein together in a room and make the music. Wow, that was on crack. :)

Guest Wyvern

BTW, anyone notice that on Rammstein's first album, Herzeleid, the song titled "Wollt Ihr Das Bett In Flam" has the DooM guy screaming as well as the shotgun cocking sound? Pretty cool. :)

Excuse me, have you ever heard of using a DIFFERENT CD? Put in your shitty Metallica/Guns 'n' Roses/Spice Girls CDs if you don't like NIN. It's no reason not to buy the game.

Guest Confusion

I don't really have anything valuable to offer here, but I'd feel bad if I didn't comment at least once on this, so I'll just voice full agreement with Wyvern's comment that "they could do something REALLY cool...: get Bobby Prince, Trent, and Rammstein together in a room and make the music."

Yeah, I'd like that too.

If NIN do the soundtrack for doom3 it will be DOOMED. I refuse to buy it. Blah. Bobby Prince should do the score HE IS DOOM DAMNIT.

Bobby Prince should do the music to doom. He IS doom as far as I am concerned. If NIN did it, you cant use the argument 'just turn the music off' cuz thats stupid then we dont have either damnit.

OK I didn't say the Quake soundtrack had anything to do with the playability of the game. It suited the game very well, which is the sad part. The Downward Spiral and The Fragile are two of the worst albums I have heard, other than those that are crappy on purpose. The guy is just playing around, that's all. Instead of spending time writing the material he just runs the stuff through 2,000 FX processors and that is supposed to make up for the major lack of content on those albums. Especially the Fragile, 2 loops of this, 2 loops of that, 4 of this, etc. etc., oh yeah, throw in an extra drum at the end of the 4th measure for variety. And whine like a child. "Oh god, the world, the world is killing me, I hate this world, I'm so sad, everything is wrong!" There you have 90% of the NIN songs written. I think some of his stuff is catchy but I would hardly call it complete. His attempt at making heavy sections of music = static. It is just too sloppy and childish for me to take seriously. If Trent was 8 I would be rather impressed, but next to so many other talented songwriters and lyricists I can only laugh at him. Sure he is better than the average mainstream/top 40 music but that really says nothing. And I'm sure he is a cool guy to hang out with; I'm not (purposely) bashing him as a person, just commenting on his work, which is quite lacking as of '94's Downward Spiral. Antichrist Superstar could have been such a great disc if he didn't slop it up. As for his sales, I'm as confused about him selling so many discs as I am about the teeny-boppers and boy bands selling the same amount.

Guest Wyvern

Thanks, Confusion. Maybe I WASN'T smoking crack when I said that. :)

Although, thinking more in-depth about it, I don't know how our two red-blooded American boys, one with too much unspent angst and one that makes songs like "Eat Your Veggies", would take to Rammstein. I can see it now...

Till: "Ihr wollt doch auch das Blut vom Degen lecken!"

Bobby: "What the HELL did you just say? I didn't hear anything about the Dopefish in there!"

Trent: "RRRRRGH!!! The world SUCKS!!! I HATE YOU ALL!!!" *sob*

*silence*

Hrm...

Guest Confusion

Heh heh heh heh heh.

Guest IcarusWing

No, not really.

Guest NunoCorreia

Just remember that Doom 3 will not be a remake of the original. You don't need Bobby Prince's music to keep the spirit alive. Trent Reznor will be perfectly capable of creating excellent songs for the game; either ambient or in-your-face, depressed and heavy industrial tracks.

Guest Nookadum

God damn it, NIN ROCKS J00R GOD DAMN ASS.
I really wanted to say that..but..
DOOM's and Quake's music was very very good, it's better to have atmospheric background themes than hard rocking music, (I like hard rocking music too...but not too much) so it goes with the theme of the game. Not just something that would hurt your ears and make you get killed by a monster.