Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DWBS

Well, according to the poll up there, the plurality of you guys would like to see Doom clan coverage on Doomworld. Now the only question is, what the hell does that mean? There aren't even more than a handful of Doom clans at the moment, at least as far as I know. What I'd like to hear from you guys is how to go about covering and encouraging the Doom clan "scene." You guys seem to want it, maybe you can tell me how to go about doing it.

Guest Duke Nukem

You should make a small forum for clan only people to post challenges to other Doom clans. Also Unidoom, clan/team, would like for you to host us in the near future

Guest Skitz0.X

I'd reccomend having a section on DW, for Clan Listings, and links to their pages. Then, that can branch off into a possible forum. But, I'd highly reccomend not only having the list of clans, but having a Score-keeper card posted on DW. For Clan matches. News updates for Clans, should really only consist of clan-battles which have been scheduled. And then the results of a clan battle. Possibly, a "now recruiting" update for a certain clan. -- But, all in all, it wouldn't be an every-day thing to keep up after the clan section of u're site.

The forum idea sure is good, but a more permanent section for listing basing clan information and ways to contact would surely ease interaction between clans and DM lovers. Info should include members, adresses, and maybe a kind of history (a scoring system or list of engagements) if it is convenient and possible. Anyway the Multiplayer forum section can already be used for contact and particular news.

Hmm...It seems to be quite common that the option that wins in most of the polls are the options that are on the very top. I might be imagining things, but maybe the voters think that the top option is the one the doomworld staff wants, so they vote for it. I hope that the staff will respond to this post.

"maybe the voters think that the top option is the one the doomworld staff wants, so they vote for it." Weird thoughts, so you think that of other voters? Hmm...

Guest micpp

I may be sounding lika a newbie, but could someone please explain to me what is a clan?

Guest Daggah

<Strong>Almost[/b] every clanner I have seen has been an arrogant prick. I've gotten tired of seeing clanners whine and bitch about shit, thinking that because they're in a clan they're somebody in gaming communities, and I've gotten tired of reading reports of clans popping up in public FFA servers for games like Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament and ruining it for everyone else. This is just my personal opinion though.

Guest Daggah

They're basically teams. They get together and turn what should be simple gaming fun and turn it into something serious.

Guest ORKFACE

There are clans for each of the ports I know of at least 4 legacy clan (I havn't heard of any others) you would need to divide it up among the ports

I'm not in favour of clan coverage because there could be lots of news and such about clans that most people couldn't care less about.

Guest Anonymous User

Dukes Idea is a good one just give the clans a forum.If the clans get a new skin or do a new level or maybe have some people join then put it on the news page. Other that that just give them a forum so that they can bitch about whos best and put up challenges.

Guest Skitz0.X

I am in a clan, and I actually agree with your description of most clanners. Their errogant, and they think their special considering their within a group. Yet, the doom2 clan community is more closely knit. Considering its smaller, if your a legitimate Doom2 clan, then you should know most of the others. And, from what I've seen, that errogant attitude is mainly in games like Q3, and the newer games. Doom2 is oldschool, and I don't picture a lot of jerks playing it. If u're playing it, u have to have some sort of passion for the game, considering its 6 years old. So, don't automaticly judge the Doom2 clan community, because from who I've met, and what I've seen so far....the doom2 clan community, are not errogant pricks.

Daggah, I'm not sure why you have such a strong dislike of clans, are football or basketball teams a bad thing? Clans are just the best way to organise teamplay matches and give some structure to the game. Sure, some people take clan playing too seriously, but thats true of any type of competition.</p>

As for coverage on doomworld, a separate section seems to be the best idea. It could have a clanlist where each clan would register certain details, such as their homepage, whether they are recruiting, etc. Maybe it could be made so that clan members could update their details using a system similar to the account editing on this forum. A forum would be quite nice also, and updates about matches (just a geneal round-up every couple of weeks or so) would be nice.</p>

Guest DN

And considering the current state of the doom community (csdoom anybody?) I think that creating a clan forum is akin to lighting a fuse on some TNT... BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!

Guest Anonymous User

how about a "lame clan of the week" link like lowtax does on something awful?

Guest Anonymous User

I still want to know: What the heck does DWBS mean?

Clan listings are definitely a no-no, as you'd have to either get rid of it altogether or constantly update it when Doom3 comes out. Not having them in the first place is easiest.

Hey ! I want to make a coder clan with Randy, Fraggle and Killough... mmmh... shouldn't be that good at DM :(

I think I'm becoming mad :/

Guest Confusion

I don't want to see clan coverage on Doomworld. As noted, there are extremely few DOOM clans at all anyway, so there wouldn't be a lot to say. Furthermore, Teppic says that clan-related info, when it did appear, would be of no interest whatsoever to a vast majority of people. Also, as Daggah pointed out, the vast majority of clanites are sad, sorry, arrogent individuals who think that being in a clan is like being in the Mafia. They think that they have special privlidges and rights based on the fact that they and a bunch of other people have gotten together and said "Hey, let's be a clan." Why does one need to get into clans anyway? Are these people so pathetic that they can't even "survive" on their own, so they have to get into little groups and shout about how marvellous they are? As Daggah said (it really sounds like I'm sucking up to Daggah lately, but I'm not), the whole concept of clans tries to force undesired seriousness into what was always supposed to be a light, enjoyable activity, and turn online gaming into somethings it's not. Clans could become like guilds, with people not being realisticly able to play online without being part of some clan. Does anyone want that to happen? Adding clan coverage to Doomworld will only encourage this kind of garbage, and will cause a serious fall in the authority of what was designed to be an online DOOM newspaper. And we don't need that.

IMO, obviously.

Guest Anonymous User

I thought the VOTE was to decide if there was to BE clan coverage and this thread was to decide what would be the format of said clan stuff?, not a thread for those that are in the minority and lost the vote to restate their wishes. I tentatively suggest DWBS *could* be Doom World Bull Sh** ? :)

Guest Anonymous User

look, I'll explain it on a level you lot can grasp. Unless your dick gets hard by standing in a corner spamming rockets, playing ffa deathmatch (in whichever game) soon gets old. Most people (not you, other people!) have by now discovered that the best way to keep deathmatch interesting is TEAMPLAY... wether it is as raw as QW team dm, as strategical as ctf, or as stealthy as counterstrike: you defend areas together, you attack together, which, when pulled off correctly, is strangely satisfying.

However, doing this with random people on public servers can only go so far, as you get better at it, you wish things were coordinated and organized better. Again, the most natural solution for this is forming a team (clan), so you know you will have equally skilled people on your side that do the right thing at the right time. Makes it all so much more enjoyable. It is similar to teams in sports, really.

And clans fight other clans. If you are somehow imagining that because you saw two players with the same tag on a ffa server that they were ganging up on you, that is probably because they are way better than you anyway, and your feeble mind sees it as a cheep excuse. Actual cooperation by players on a ffa server I've only seen happen _once_ in >3.5 years of playing QW, and 2.5 of it in top uk clans.

Yes, the average online gameplayer has an ego disproportionate to his skill, but I don't see this having anything to do with teamplay. I suppose you prefer the attitude of the average ffa player, spamming randomly until killed, only to then type "lpb cheating cunt0rs!" and quit promptly.

I don't care wether doomworld covers clans, since I doubt Doom in its standard form can do good teamplay. The maps are too small and non strategical, and don't have item placement suitable for teamplay. Minimally you would have to play with weapon stay OFF.

--Aardappel

DW... hmm? What's that? Dumb walls? Dark words? Oh, right, Doomworld. Duh. BS... err, Bouncy spiders? Ballistic sheep? Oh, I get it, bull s**t. Wow, Ling, you really are TOO clever! </end sarcasm>

On the subject of clans, would anyone be interested in forming a "Doomers' Alliance" for Planetarion? Helping people with offense/defense, and stuff like that. Basically showing all the other alliances the true meaning of the word "hell".

Guest Daggah

I don't have much of a problem with the concept of clans, but they rarely follow the concept. I'd be willing to say that about 80% of the lamity that I've heard of happening on UT/Q3/similar game servers comes from clanners. I'd be fine with them if they had a better quality/lameness ratio.

And I think I made it clear that I wasn't claiming that every clan was like this.

Guest Daggah

...and you're only tired of deathmatch because you're used to the Quake variety. I'd be tired of it too if I had been playing shitty Quake games for the past five years, so I sympathize. But I've been playing quality deathmatch games, so I'm not quite ready to claim that deathmatch is dead yet. :)

Guest Anonymous User

Ok, in real life there are, for example, soccer teams. But you don't have to be on the soccer team to play. You and your friend can still go out on the field and kick the ball around for fun. Just because clans are too serious or whatever doesn't mean you have join in this. You're still free to play your non-clan games.

Guest Anonymous User

You made a lot of points that i dislike, as nearly all of them are false. Clans are not full or arrogant pricks that think they're shit hot and such, and if they are.. only on the lowest level, the 'newbie' clan. I've been in several quake tf clans and have found them to be quite fun as you have quite a great time creating strategies and working as a team. Now, as for Q3A and UT clans, i wouldn't be too sure as i'm not active in those games, but again, the serious players stay, the newbies leave to new games. Being how old doom is, i think that the majority of doomers would like to have the community spiced up a little, and by creating possibly a clan databse, i'm sure that the community would strive. The only problem is like Aardappel mentioned, teamplay. If a solid teamplay element could be achieved in doom, doom would rule over quake multiplayer any day. In my book it already does in most areas, but it could be so much more than a simple 1 on 1 deathmatch or ffa. Teamplay is becoming key in all new fps's, and if the doom community could have some place for clans to go to, I'm sure that Doom's lifespan would increase by a few years. [Btw, I like quake, but i've been playing doom far longer, and enjoy it much more than quake.. So no, i'm not just some llama quake guy rambling on about clans. :)].

Guest Daggah

I didn't say that all clans were lame. Most, however, are. It's true. Much of the shit thrown around in the various game communities often erupts from clanners.