Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Wild Stuff

Rick Clark has been bitten pretty hard by the EDGE bug, and has put a new pic up of the second map in his Stadel WAD. Don't forget about your other projects though, Rick...

Guest Anonymous User

Well who can blame him? I started messing around with the 3D features and water effects, and it's mega cool.

Guest Risen

First there was Doom and all were happy. Then there was DosDOOM, BOOM, and Legacy, and there was a disturbance. Then there was ZDoom which crushed them all and became supreme. Now there is EDGE. I sense a disturbance again...

Which is a good thing, it'll make the coders want people to use their port, which means more features, more support, and more fun stuff for the rest of us. Go port competition!

Okay, so that post was a bit on the lame side. Whatever.

Guest Rick Clark

Well, I haven't given up ZDoom just yet. :) Wait until you guys see the new cameras. One word: Awesome. I have to say though that Edge will be a big part of any future projects. The 3D stuff along with DDF is just too good to pass up. I have to hand it to the Edge team; the 3D implemnation they worked out is just about perfect. Easy to use and awesome looking. I think we are really fortunate to have coders like Randy and the Edge team working on Doom. Thanks guys.

Guest Anonymous User

Just played Rick's wad and whilst I was at it I revisited all the demo wads from the EDGE site. Real 3D platforms in DOOM look sooo cool. It takes quite a lot of getting used to seeing floors above each other. One thing the EDGE people will have to look at IMHO is the fact that monsters under a 3D floor seem to be able to see through the floor and will constantly try and shoot at you through the floor (pointless - dumb monsters). With the sound implementation, this means if it is Imps (or similar) that are firing, you seem to be completely surrounded by whooshing sounds, but can't see any evidence of where they are coming from (i.e. the floor below). On the sound issue, I have a fully EAX compatible card and it sounds cool most of the time, but in EDGE the sounds often seem to be coming from all around, even when it is inappropriate for them to do so, or even from the wrong direction some times. Is music supposed to work? there is a midi in EDGE.WAD so I guess so, it doesn't on my system. Couldn't see anything in the files or web page about it. These issues do not take away from the fact that EDGE is an amazing piece of work. What's more it works bloody well for something at Alpha stage. I am sure that when all these and the other minor problems are ironed out EDGE will be simply stunning. (I totally agree with Rick Clark about Randy Heit and The EDGE team - Thanks guys). - Rude Boy

Guest Fanatic

There are DDF flags for see through and shoot through, but have not been activated yet because of some pretty heavy reworking of sector code for this to work properly.