Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

csDoom v0.62 Released

Well, after a very tumultuous night the csDoom site is back up and a new version (without backdoors) and including all the source has been released. You can find the new v0.62 binaries and source for Win32 and Linux/FreeBSD mirrored at our source port section.

Guest Pikoro

Primer post, Primer post, Primer post, Primer post, Primer post, Primer post, Primer post, Primer post, Primer post, Primer post!!!... JAJAJA... CSDOOM BACK!!! (GREAT!!)

So...I see that Fly has come back. Now what?

I've already begun on this new csDoom and have fixed many of the *ahem* coding errors that Fly added in there and I've already got a new site to appear on sourceforge.net very soon

Now, before I continue any more work on this. I need to know. Who would you rather see running csDoom. Me or Fly?

Guest Anonymous User

Produce something worthwhile and then get back with us...

Guest Risen

Well, you could donate your efforts to Brad Carney, who wants to put all that stuff into Skull Tag. Some of it is supported already - but the cs code needs work. I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Just a thought.

Guest LordUnum

But all this stuff would make a good topic for the next poll....

Maybe you might be better off waiting until this mess completely clears up (and a few days pass perhaps, at least), then see the approach Fly takes with the project (he still might decide to quit, or he may take it in a new direction, ya never know...). Lock a copy of that code in some vault, because we MAY just need it someday, to fall back on. :-)

Either way, may csDoom continue to improve, and keep providing fun to all who enjoy the greatest game on Earth.

Guest Daggah

You, definitely.

After recent events, there's no way I'll ever download a version of csDoom made by Fly. I don't trust him; I can't trust him.

There is no problem about back doors with open source software, thats why we've been campaigning about it for so long. For example that doomserv bug wouldn't exist if it was open source since competent programmers would be pitching in.

Guest Anonymous User

So what? the man wrote in something that shouldn't be there... lets be perfectly honest, do you think that bill gates doesnt have ways to get around shit in win 98? Uh, yeah, he does... 98% which ppl discoverd in a damn week. You people are just upset that some programmer might have access to your HD and have duped you into downloadin his software. Anyone who can program something like csdoom would be smart enough to add a trojen virus or something if he wanted to do shit to your computers, not a few lines that allow him to pull admin shit on a server USING HIS SOFTWARE. So its unethical, why don't you tar and feather the fool, shoot your guns some and go back to whatever the hell you did before hand.

Guest Anonymous User

Hey Anonymous User why are you posting anonymously??? Got something to hide? This is Toke btw

I hope things will settle down now. Although I didn't like what Fly did, I am glad he will still be contributing to the project. It's funny how some people have called his competence into question. The fact remains, he was the one who actually made a true client server port for Doom, when his critics were either unable or unwilling to do it themselves. NightFang: Please don't make people take sides who will be leading the project. Work this out between you and Fly. There is enough division already. And for the love of mike don't make a poll of this issue.

Guest Anonymous User

I'm sorry. I see by reading my message, it could be taken as if I wanted a poll taken in regards to continuing the project with Fly, NightFang, both cooperatively, etc. I, too, think that issue should be left to Fly and NightFang to discuss.

I actually WAS thinking of a poll in regards to whether:

1. Fly was a total bastard for including those "features" in a program released to an unsuspecting public.
2. It was OK for him to release the program, as long as he let us all know beforehand about the "backdoor," at least.
3. It was fine for Fly to include whatever "features" he wanted, it being his program, as long as it wasn't of clear malintent.

...or something along those lines. I believe most would've voted for 2, and I thought that would put this whole issue behind us at that point (perhaps with an apology?). Then again, now I'm starting to believe that the best thing might be for this issue to simply die down, this project to continue, and for us all to be grateful that someone is, for whatever reason, or ulterior motive, "watching out for us" in the future. Just MHO.

Guest LordUnum

screwed up the PW and posted anonymously. Woohoo, initiation.

BTW... how many millions go into a billion? Two women on "Greed" could not get this right, as one said "one hundred," and the other changed the answer to "ten thousand." Both commented on the toughness on this question.... sad comment on modern society. Something to chew on....

Guest Anonymous User

Since "Greed" is an American show the correct answer would be one thousand (1,000,000 X 1,000 = 1,000,000,000). If it were an English show, however, the correct answer would be one million (1,000,000 X 1,000,000 = 1,000,000,000,000, in British terminology 1,000,000,000 is called a milliard).

It's really funny: when CSDooM came out first, everybody was happy that Fly did it. Now many people are angry. But as one of the anonymous said many programs have those backdoors. I wonder why you all are online? Don't you fear that 'evil hackers' will attack your computers. I bet you not even have a firewall running, if you even know what a firewall is. And do you really think that Fly wanted to do any bad? Do you really think that anybody who wants to do any bad would try to do it using a DooM port with which he can access about 1000 computers max? IMO that's rediculous!

Sorry about that. After reading the posts here it was stupid of me to ask you all to choose between me and Fly. As it is right now...Fly is doing what he wants and I am doing what I want.

Of course, I *DO* have to put up with the little mud slinging from Fly messaging me through ICQ and IRC with messages like "Your not as good as me and you can't do it.", "You can't even code teamplay!" and the all famous "LAMER!!!!!". Just to show you the brains behind csDoom.

Guest Anonymous User

Anyone having problems with .62? When I try to join a server it just says 'Server Disconnected'

Guest Anonymous User

http://cyb.alkali.org/ pretty much sums all of this up. The community is by and large made up of immature assholes and morons - whether they be newbies or elitists like tom_ and aurikan. Most of the cool people in the community have left, and with an incident like this I can see many more leaving in the near future.

Guest Greensting

By the way, have you checked the expiration date on the NGUserID cookie you get just being here? Jeesh!

Guest Anonymous User

Why i get a "Server Disconnected" if i try to join a server??????

Anon, WTF; the two examples you gave aren't even in the community. Cyb is quite lucid, you're only narrow-mindedly degrading his message. This is advice: Note not only what you say, but also what that which you say does. Your name-calling is exactly what Cyb grew tired of.

Guest Anonymous User

Did Fly ever consider how the Doom community would react if it ever found out about his "hidden features?" I don't think so - and that is irresponsible. And he has not offered even the slightest apology for his short-sightedness, and lack of judgement. Now that he has proven himself to be untrustworthy, some urge others to trust him! That is irresponsible! They are not considering what may lie ahead with someone of Fly's character at the helm. I will support NightFang's effort, until he proves himself similarly untrustworthy. NightFang - you have my full support. Send me the URL to your site as soon as you have it operational. Falconer rarefiles.bizland.com

Guest Anonymous User

Well, this debacle was completely and totally... unsurprising. After spending a little bit of time on the csdoom IRC channel after it came out I realized that there was nothing more than a couple of complete newbies doing everything: From the code, to the players, to even the server admins. Motivated, dedicated, but not the slightest bit clue about what they're doing.

From reading a good chunk of the comments on the other set AND on this one, and from personal boredom of having read some csdoom code, I have to side with Fly being an idiot. As I said before, motivated, dedicated, completely and utterly clueless about what he is doing ethically, codewise, etc.

On the code level, his poorly documented kludgefest of UDP code makes no sense, is horribly unoptimized, undocumented, didn't even do things I would deem 'absolutely, positively required for this to be worthy of release' such as dealing with dropped packets properly. The man cannot even debug his own code, leading to the nasty crashes which I think everyone remembers.

Of course, I can just see the comments about "You can't do what he did!" pointed at this one. Well, I've been coding for the past ten years, being most skilled in graphing and networking, but I haven't been the slightest bit interested in working with doom. Especially after seeing the actions of the people involved on it.

Everyone, on all sides of this issue, should be damn ashamed about it and should not let this get brushed by the wayside. One must never forget nor ignore the relevant past or the past will come back full 360.

Just grow up. All of you.

Guest Anonymous User

You're so right. I posted another comment like this in an earlier article. Fly simply can't program worth a shit. I've coded long enough to spot a lot of mistakes. Before the obligatory "you couldn't do it" comments are fired, know that I have a real job and don't have time to program net doom ports.

Guest Zeku

Some of you talk about trust as if there is any correlation between reality and appearance. Your moral decisions are arbitrary and your arrogance is typical. This reminds me of indoctrinated children arguing over racism: 'That person prefers his own race so he must be a racist.' Logically, it is valid to decide whether to trust someone based on their actions. But I'm wondering if you assume that there is any true good or bad here. No matter what your perspective, whatever benefits you personally is good. If you choose to benefit from others' work, you play by their rules. That's it. As one of the more reasonable anons stated, you're simply upset that Fly has reminded you that you aren't in charge of anything. Trust! What a laugh. The moral plane exists entirely within the mind of the individual, even if you call one of those individuals 'God.' In the tangible world, there is only strategy.

Guest Gimly

The two previous comments: Completely useless. Fly's code is shit? Well, improve on it. Just a little bit. Takes less times than posting a useless comment (taking for granted that you are such an experienced progammer and you already looked at the code and saw those many 'so easy to spot' mistakes). Those posts just don't help anyone...

Guest Gimly

The two comments before Zeku...

Guest Anonymous User

About all this crap about how bad fly codes: First all complained about fly not releasing the source (why i completly not understand as what fly really did was being nice enough to release a somewhat unfinished beta version (remember not being able to mouselook? ...) *and* promising that whenever he had a fully working version he *vould* release the full source, he did that instead of holding the beta for himself and a very small group of friends - and people just kept on wining about the source....) Have anyone spent an thought about why fly might not wanted to release the source (at that point...)?, it might not be caused by immaginary hordes of backdoor commands, but simply by the fact that fly too felt that the source at this state was too undocumented and too unoptimized, but atleast it was working (and working very good indeed i might add) /Andreas Back (bitstate)