Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cybermind

First-try Demo Contest #16

FDC #16 will begin at 31th October 2015 14:00 UTC.

Passworded ZIP file containing WAD file:
http://mistranger.gixx.ru/misc/tls.zip
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnkgkip76mjpllc/tls.zip?dl=0
Bat files:
http://mistranger.gixx.ru/misc/bats.zip
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jymaek1k7havyi/bats.zip?dl=0

Password: V32aAatwrtNNCAuxKHAC
Be tough and good luck!
Replace NICKNAME in bat files to your nick before start.
Remember, you could upload unfinished demos.

Results:

Spoiler

First-try Demo Contest #16
31 October 2015, 14:00 UTC

tls.wad by cybermind
testers - skepticist, Da Werecat
map 01, skill 4, complevel 11

$  Player           Total   Deaths   Last   Kil-Sec  Filename            Upload  Penalty
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1  Veinen           41:35     0      41:35   70-8    Veinen.lmp           +2       0
2  Demonologist     44:36     0      44:36   69-8    demonologist.lmp     +2       0
3  Ancalagon        53:37     0      53:37   84-25   Ancalagon.lmp        +1       0

4  Memfis           61:46     0      61:46   77-16   MEMFIS.lmp           +3       0
5  Ribbiks          62:58     3      49:13   72-25   fdc16_rbk.lmp        +1       0
6  scifista42       67:26     2      62:52   75-16   scifista42.lmp       +5       0
7  Creaphis         73:11     0      73:11   83-16   creaphis.lmp         +1       0
8  Yak-9U           82:44     0      82:44   95-33   yak.lmp              +1       0
9  Hitherto        107:04     0     107:04   91-33   fdc16hth.lmp         +2       0
10 GrumpyCat       128:58     0     128:58   95-16   GrumpyCat.lmp        +5       0

Bloodite Krypto  37:02     0      DNF             blooditekrypto.lmp  +10       -
   ZoD               8:24     4      DNF             ZoDX32.lmp          +19       -
   Chaingunner      35:18     2      DNF             chaingunner.lmp     +6        -
   Ken              37:51     0      DNF             Ken.lmp             +73       -
   vdgg            113:29     0      DNF             vdgg.lmp            +1        -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details:
http://i.iddqd.ru/viewtopic.php?t=8083
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/75109-first-try-demo-contest-16
http://slip-gate.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=72

Detailed information and rules:
Spoiler

General information:
1. Map format - MBF, demo format - MBF (complevel 11 in PrBoom+), IWAD - doom2.wad, author - cybermind, testers - skepticist, Da Werecat.
2. Recommended ports to use:
prBoom+/glBoom+ with complevel 11 (in case of glBoom+, please download the latest build!)
Vanilla MBF won't work.
3. Recommended command lines:
prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file tls.wad -complevel 11 -skill 4 -record YOURNICK
glboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file tls.wad -complevel 11 -skill 4 -record YOURNICK
(replace YOURNICK with your nickname)

Contest plan:
1. At Oct.31 13:00 UTC I'll post the link to passworded archive containing WAD file and additional link with .bat files containing the command lines above (for faster start). Download them and prepare your archiver for WAD unpacking.
2. At Oct.31 14:00 UTC I'll post the password here. You should immediately unpack the archive and start recording the demo (use the command lines above).
3. During demo recording it's forbidden to: use any TAS tools and features, pause the game, switch between applications, enter in-game menu. More than 30 seconds of WT tics (being idle) will count as foul.
4. If you have died, press USE instead of restarting demo recording. There is no limit for deaths, but all attempts should be in one demo file.
5. After you have finished recording, pack your demo immediately in ZIP file with the same file name and send it to upload server (will be posted with WAD file). Use only Latin letters and underscore symbol for file names.
6. Contest time limit is 3 hours. I'll start demo processing after time expiration.

Results processing:
1. I'll compare your upload time with your demo time. The difference should be no more than 5 minutes (e.g. contest starts at 14:00 UTC, your demo time is 12:34 and you've uploaded your demo at 14:16:00 UTC, so that's OK). If difference is more than 5 minutes, every extra full minute will cost you +5 minute penalty to your demo time (e.g. contest starts at 14:00 UTC, your demo time is 34:56 and you've uploaded your demo at 14:42:00 UTC, so you will have +10 minute penalty and your total time will be 44:56). But if the difference is more than 15 minutes, your demo will be out of contest.
2. I'll watch all your demos and form the final results table. The demo with the smallest total time wins (death count is not taken into account).

Misc. Recommendations:
1. Sync your computer's time to be sure you're doing things in right time.
2. Abstain from drinking alcohol and take a piss before the contest :)

Rules were composed by Hitherto for FDC#6 and have been edited and translated to English by cybermind.

Please post here if you want to participate.

In case if you're not familiar with FDC event...

I'm in! :D Hopefully we will see some new FDA enthusiasts participating too (gaspe, mouldy...).

actually I think this is the first time I am hearing of FDC...

I will try to participate if the time is ok for me (if I understood correctly in the 7th FDC post, one has to do the demo in a very small time frame)

since this will be on complevel 11, will there be anything "weird" what could confuse someone who is used to play complevel 2? (just checked wiki and read sth. like that: Friendly monsters, including single-player helper dogs.)

edit: I am out, cannot make it to that time, have fun all

Yeah, the idea is that participants start playing immediately after they get the unzipped wad (first you get the wad in a passworded archive, a bit later you get the password itself and that's when you start playing).

There definitely won't be any dogs. :P Regarding friendly monsters, I'm not completely sure what this is... Apparently, in MBF monsters are supposed to help their dying friends but I'm not sure how exactly it works. I didn't notice any significant changes in monster behavior when I played Valiant with -complevel 11.

I guess the main differences from complevel 2 are:
- no lost soul limit
- monsters can be pushed off ledges and can get stuck on them
- weapon switching rules are somewhat different
- translucent projectiles, soulspheres, megaspheres, etc

This thread about complevel 2\9 differences contains more info and I think complevel 11 inherits most complevel 9 stuff.

Ancalagon said:

I've never played in any of these but I guess I'll stop being lazy and put an alarm to participate

Do you have any FDAs of tough maps? I'm a fan of your UV-max running and I'd really like to see what your first playthroughs look like on those. E.g. how many tries of Sunlust map29 did it take for you to get a first exit, playing casually.

rdwpa said:

Do you have any FDAs of tough maps? I'm a fan of your UV-max running and I'd really like to see what your first playthroughs look like on those. E.g. how many tries of Sunlust map29 did it take for you to get a first exit, playing casually.

I think tnt is the last wad I played in singleplayer and only up to map08 cause I got bored, I've played everything else in zandronum with some other people. When I want to record a map I watch demos and play it with iddqd to build the route. I wouldn't play those hard maps without saves too.

Ancalagon said:

I think tnt is the last wad I played in singleplayer and only up to map08 cause I got bored, I've played everything else in zandronum with some other people. When I want to record a map I watch demos and play it with iddqd to build the route. I wouldn't play those hard maps without saves too.

That's interesting. I was under the impression that everyone who is good at (singleplayer) Doom got to that level by playing hard maps without saves.

rdwpa said:

That's interesting. I was under the impression that everyone who is good at (singleplayer) Doom got to that level by playing hard maps without saves.

For me, playing competitive multiplayer did way more to improve my accuracy and movement skills than single player ever did. Hours upon hours of being in over my head, dying, respawning and trying again.

I could give it a try, as long as the archive does not use any super proprietary format that is only supported by a single archiver which only runs in Windows (and no I cannot run Windows binaries).

GhostlyDeath said:

I could give it a try, as long as the archive does not use any super proprietary format that is only supported by a single archiver which only runs in Windows (and no I cannot run Windows binaries).

Don't worry, there will be standard Deflate-compressed ZIP file encrypted with ZipCrypto. As far as I know, every modern archiver could extract it without any problems.

An alternative would be to use the RAR archive format, that's extractable on Windows, Mac & Linux from my understanding. (Obviously needing a utility to extract it with, such as WinRAR.)

Dragonfly said:

An alternative would be to use the RAR archive format, that's extractable on Windows, Mac & Linux from my understanding. (Obviously needing a utility to extract it with, such as WinRAR.)

RAR is proprietary. ZIP is an open standard.

Fair comment. I didn't realise that was really an issue, the windows-only aspect of your comment seemed the more prevalent concern.