Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

KOKOC

some classic memfis maps, with all the positive traits players have come to expect from you. here's some fdas: http://www.mediafire.com/download/lwoyxywyq1tyy7w/kokoc_fda_rbk.zip

very easy maps, but the sprinkling of just-unintuitive-enough-to-be-rewarding-without-being-frustrating map progressions were enough to keep me entertained. I wonder if you have a notepad file somewhere with a list of ideas from your trolling through oldschool wads that you want to implement? e.g:

- lift that lowers in another tele dest
- impassable tele puzzle
- pair of doors that open eachother
- surprise closet of health items and nothing else

I have similar lists laying around, though mine are mostly cruel encounter ideas.

Anyhow, cool maps :D

Fdas.
Cool maps with interesting progression, seems really fair on UV. I like the pacing with tough and "relaxed" moments. And that fucking jump on MAP01...
Is the name of the wad a russian word?

Heh, I don't have any lists. Okay, actually I created one with just one idea written down but that's it. хd I have some ideas in my head I guess but usually I come up with this stuff on the spot. I think it's not very interesting to write down an idea and then go do some other stuff instead of making it in the editor.

And yes, the name is coconut in Russian but written with English letters.

Yea, Memfis maps. That red key puzzle in the first map almost drove me nuts. Other than that superb quality.

Memfis should just make a 32 map megawad compilation of his maps and it would work (provided they weren't used anywhere else) really.

I don't know what to do after the battle in the big acid area >.<

EDIT: I figured it out checking on Doom builder. OMG, i'm so dumb.

EDIT2: Ok, I would never figure that out lol

Yeah, the red key part is a bit cryptic hehe. Personally I like it, but of course I can't experience the frustration that people might have with it, so I'm extremely biased here. Well, I enjoy playing villain in the editor. :D Especially when it's not a typical slaughter villain that throws tons of cybs, viles and revenants at you, but a more subtle one.

playing through the first map, past the archvile. really cool stuff, lots of things i like about memfis maps, longer than i expected tho! (no reason i thought itd be short, maybe i just really felt like playing a short map so my brain skewed it haha)

cool stuff

Hahahaha yeeah lol

I've finished both levels. Aside from that red key on map 01 (cmon plz! lol), I've really enjoyed both of them. Most of enemies are low-level and yet you managed to have some good difficult (for me). The experience felt lighter, still with lots of tension and especially fair (without death traps). Most times that I've died was purely my fault, which is something quite good (especially when I'm recording demo's and I don't want to die).

The visuals are neat, pure Doom 2, as are the enemy placement, very smart and challenging. Progression was mostly linear, but since you handled that very well, I've had no problem in trying the same section 3+ times. Also, both levels had some neat ideas, with remarkable places.

I wanna play more of that!

Here's FDA for map02 (I didn't upload map01 because, really, I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out the red key thing and gave up, you won't like to see that lol):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ukzg5clfy0bvl26/deadwing.lmp

I hope you don't mind my bad playing. :P

Fun maps, I liked them. The red key mystery in MAP01 was a good brain teaser, as was the MAP02 timed lift. :) Only major complaint: The megaarmor secret in MAP01 becomes inaccessible after the nukage pool descends. Minor complaint: MAP02 lacks an exit sign anywhere near the exit area.

Couldn't come up with a way to make the BA secret accessible again that wouldn't feel too forced. I think yellow teleporter always marks exit in my wads but maybe I broke this rule somewhere.

Not a bad experience overall, but it felt sort of empty compared to your usual stuff, especially visually. Map01's mishmash of textures was ugly and none of the areas were memorable -- it struck me as a hodgepodge of nondescript classic map throwaway rooms. Map02, which was more uniform stylistically, felt bland, particularly the outdoor areas -- maybe it was the green marble + green grass (which looked sort of like carpet in this context) + dead lighting. And in terms of combat, they didn't offer anything I haven't already seen in your levels. I'd like to see the willingness to embrace idiosyncrasy often on display in your visuals and progression schemes in the fighting itself: in the traps and set pieces. I'd expect you to have some creative "oldschool" ideas there.

My gameplay is usually filler-ish and is done in some 30 minutes. I dislike thing placement and don't know how to do it. But I overall like how it turned out here.