Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
riki2321

Would it be even possible to make a volcano level? [more questions, solved]

Probably my first serious post on the forum.

Which makes the lava rise and you need to escape the volcano, That'd be awesome, we'd need line heights functions, but the real question. IS IT possible?

edit : you're welcome. yes you can do it, it's possible, Will this be something neat to use? or something to make traps in wads? a trap with this thing would be sure awesome.

Well, not sure if this is possible with all hexen engines, but it's already true confirmed on zdoom! let's hope this is gonna make some fun!

Update I've made some things to the level, Now i can add obstacles, Someone tell, What's a good obstacle for this thing? :) moving platforms? For now let's call it rising waste or something. anyone got a good theme for this shit?

There are linedef/special actions to raise floors in all map formats. There are also actions to change floor texture and effect to nearest sector. Of course, each instance of such an action will only affect sectors with a specific tag. If you had a level consisting of many sectors, and you wanted to simulate it getting gradually flood by raising level of lava, you would need a pretty elaborate scripting to trigger actions with the right timing for all particular sectors in the area. So, yes, it should be possible, but the effort needed to do it is proportionate to number of sectors with different floor heights in the area, because each of them needs to be handled separately - and of course, you also need to use a source port that support some kind of scripting, be it ACS or Boom-compatible conveyor belt voodoo-doll scripting.

scifista42 said:

There are linedef/special actions to raise floors in all map formats. There are also actions to change floor texture and effect to nearest sector. Of course, each instance of such an action will only affect sectors with a specific tag. If you had a level consisting of many sectors, and you wanted to simulate it getting gradually flood by raising level of lava, you would need a pretty elaborate scripting to trigger actions with the right timing for all particular sectors in the area. So, yes, it should be possible, but the effort needed to do it is proportionate to number of sectors with different floor heights in the area, because each of them needs to be handled separately - and of course, you also need to use a source port that support some kind of scripting, be it ACS or Boom-compatible conveyor belt voodoo-doll scripting.

Yes, it's possible, But you would need to waste all your day on doing that, but sure it's an awesome find. :)

Sorry for doublepost, but actually, i got this to work. Sure it's an awesome thing. It works! It fucking works! and i though't you weren't gonna be able to make a flood escape thing, but now i'm trying to do it, and it works. Ideas for obstacles guys?

Ganryu said:

You gave me a great idea for a level puzzle for my Hexen mod :D

Neat, That rocks. I'm using hexen too. Probably only way to get this to work.