Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #7

An astonishing 23 WADs for you to gouge in today's weekly wrapup of the new files found on CDROM.COM.

• Athena by Ralph M. - Standard Doom 2, Map01. Although fairly low on detail, this level is pretty big. A few good puzzles, a few wide open areas. This level does get very big at times, so an enhanced DOOM port is recommended.
  • Q3 Arena Floors And Walls by Chris Pisarczyk - The title says most of it. Some textures from the shareware version of Quake 3: Arena. If you're into that game, or even if you're not, you might be able to make use of this.
  • The Darkening Aftershock by Yashar G. - A very good four-level set for use with Darkening E2. Three multi-purpose levels, one deathmatch level. These levels show great quality, retaining most of the feel of the original Darkening set. The music tracks included are pretty good as well.
  • Celtic Shrine, Mansion by Crista Forest - Texture sets for Doom 2. The first one is hard to describe. The general theme of the Celtic set is dark brown and white, stone and sand, bricks, wood, and wall murals. The Mansion set seems fitting for something like a haunted house level. If you're looking to make levels with a new look, this group of textures should help get you started.
  • CWB Texture Pak 1 2 3 4 5 6, Graphtallica Texture Pack 1 2 3, IK Texture Pack, q1tex, q2tex, q2texsp, Wally Example Textures by Derek MacDonald - More texture packs! Not much to say here. There's a lot of variety in these WADs, all with very good, very useful textures. Some of the best texture downloads available this week. For more information, it would be best to look at the respective text files of these packages.
  • DeConstruct Industrial Textures by Stecki - Isn't this getting weird? Yet another texture WAD. The theme in this pack is more consistent, though. Mostly technical, industrial, dark brown and white. Again, the quality is mostly good. If you're starving for textures, well, your hands are full this week.
  • Erratic Texture Pack 1 by Jonathan Rimmer - I see a pattern developing. A texture WAD. The theme of this package is lots of bricks, lots of tiles, and stones, and a few other useful things. The quality is good, the same as ever.
  • Ogro Texture Pack by François-Xavier Delmotte - What's the theme of this texture pack? I'd say along the lines of demonic space base. These textures look like something from Aliens, or Duke Nukem 3D. For something somewhat different, download this WAD.
  • Drew Carey Sounds & Grafix by Chris Pisarczyk - Like the title says, a few sounds and graphics from the popular TV show, Drew Carey. Most of the sounds seem to have been carelessly plugged into the WAD, without any real order or meaning, and the graphics are sparse. Not one of the better combos.

Hiya.
That's a lot of texture packs! Yeehaw! :-)

Maybe the next contest should be something that makes use of one of these texture packs. Just a thought.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Looks like Afterglow has been busy. I like Chris Buechelers stuff- for those of you who are interested, the guy who you all flamed about a doom3 article on gamespy.com a while ago was this very man responsible for the CWS texture packs... used in such levels as lost village 2 DM for halflife and a major source of inspiration for me.

Howdy,
Gemini's internal demos for Gem01 fall out of sync for me. Does this happen for anyone else?
It is really a top notch pwad; so I hate to miss out.
thanks for listening.

Falling out of sync? Perhaps you don't have the newest version of Darkening E2. Or maybe you don't even have the Doom 2 1.9 IWAD running. The former is more likely, I would think.

I dont think it would matter if he had the old Darkening, because it still has all the textures.

Guest cocoon

Of all ppl in the doomworld, I don't think Opulent would not update his doom2 version to the latest... Have you seen his demo collection?

Perhaps you don't have the newest version of Darkening E2. Or maybe you don't even have the Doom 2 1.9 IWAD running. The former is more likely, I would think.

I would think not... :)

Umm, the former means the first of the two. Meaning that it's more likely that he doesn't have the newest version of DE2 than it is that he doesn't have the newest version of doom2.wad. If I thought that it was more likely that he would have an older version of Doom 2, I would say "The latter is more likely, I would think."

Former = darken2.wad
Latter = doom2.wad

Hmm...
Vorpal, Cocoon, and Andrew:
All of you guys are no stranger to playing and recording demos...(as well as all 3 of you being better than me).

The results:
1) I don't have a version1.9 cd. I bought Doom2 when it came out. ver. 1.666.
I really don't think that's the problem.

2) I have Darkening version 1.1. not the texture wad.
I really don't think that's the problem either.(if we were talking a different gem01, then I would agree.)

3) unusual effects??
-some of Woodman's recent Hacx demos fall out of sync too.(but that's a diff. exe)
-I playback a LOT of demos and _extremely_ few fall out of sync.
-could it be something having to do with the wadfile lump? I mean, can internal demos be ANY size?
-could I have a Windows influence? like a runtime/directx type resource that is effecting the playback.

4) I'm just disappointed I can't see them. Note to designers: keep you demos external.
=)

thanks for listening, Opulent

Guest rworld

I was just wondering, what you guys thought of my level, Athena?

I think that this whole texture thing is a conspiracy started by Quake players who want us to stop playing DOOM by overloading ftp.cdrom.com with textures, and so preventing us from ever getting new levels, and then growing bored with the old ones, and then moving on to Quake because we're bored with DOOM. HAHAHA that will never happen because DOOM rules and Quake sux!!!

Guest cocoon

uhm.. hehe.. ack.. oh well, isn't that what I said? ;) That it was the latter of the two you mentioned...

Dammit, and I was gonna be clever and all telling ppl how wrong they were :( *sniff*