Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

ZDoom Ramps Up

The ZDoom news page has a picture that you really need to go look at. Like, right now. Stop reading and go over there. What is it, you ask? Damnit, stop asking questions and go look.

HOLY CRAP!!! I thought it would never happen!
Now where is the release Randy? Huh? Please? Please? The pain THE PAIN!!!

I hope it's possible to tilt textures now, pretty much any texture will look nasty on a slope.

Anyways, it's still very very cool!!

Man! we finally have slopes in doom!
Just what i need for Phobos Tech center to make it stand out.

Now all we need is edge styled 3d stuff.

Well 3d floors in zdoom will most likely wait a while. atleast until Doom Legacy have a puplic release of them. Since Randy can't ripp EDGEs 3d floors cause of the rendering in it. >:)

Guest Slipgate

Hey...
That looks like an existing Doom2 level (the
inmost dens) with a part of the level reinterpreted, perhaps engine side, rather than a slope feature that you can implement in an editor. Still.... nice, but the textures need to be tilted. :) Unless you want triangular bricks.
Slipgate

If Randy doesn't have that already, it'd be trivial to add. So I guess you can count on it :)

Guest Gorc

Okay! Tilted floors! In Doom! Wow.

What I want to know is when Randy is going to have curved surfaces. Come on, on the site he said he had feature creep....

Ola just ICQ'ed me this:

You have received a message!
SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS SLOPED FLOORS

Heh.

Guest o-tech

Oh joy! This is far more important than true 3d... allthough the EDGE tricks look kind of nice, this is much more important for me as a map maker. And about textures - I'd do custom textures rather than rotating them. I don't like the look of rotated textures and it gives ugly "seams".

This piece of news might very well bring me back into doom editing at full effect...

Guest Fanatic

It looks interesting, but notice that the whole thing is tilted in the same direction and same slope.

I'm not knocking it, as it looks VERY beta, perhaps even a hack (via ACS?). EDGE extrafloors are way more powerful than slopes. But I look foreward to EDGE having them so I can use both.

I am excited to see that it's being done tho, we should see some super neat stuff from Rick Clark with this! :)

Eh, I think you need glasses Marc :) There are clearly at least two directions of slopes visible, the front grey brick wall slopes east and down, and the back one slopes north and down.

I think when boom came out this was one of my original request for the doom engine. Unlike other features slopes don't really change doom's gameplay but are a nice addition. Ola is right - this is far more important then true 3d. Fanatic is scrambling to cover EDGE's ass. hahaha :) I love EDGE but YES, WOOOOOO, OH YEAH!

3D floors got more power and useful areas. slopes are just a neat effect. Not really useful to anything but making stuff look better. Nothing wrong with that though.

3d floor the people

Guest Fanatic

Swedish Fish: scrambling for what? I'm just pointing out that slopes cannot beat 3D floors.

NiGHTMARE: I'm totally aware of what I'm looking at -it looks to be a slope from one corner of the structure leaning down to the other side (kind of diagonally).

I will take anyone on to make a map using only slopes in ZDOOM (when ready of course) compared to a map I can make only using 3D floors in EDGE. I guarentee that slopes won't beat 3D floors.

3D floors are much more important and useful then slopes.

Don't get me wrong, I want to have slopes too, but given the choice, I would rather have only 3D floors over only slopes. I would use slopes more for decoration than for the actual gameplay environment.

Play the QDOOM public test again, warp to QD3, and tell me that slopes can beat that! :)

And again, I'm not trying to be a jerk or beat down ZDOOM. Just think about slopes and 3D floors -3D floors add a lot more to a level than slopes could. But, slopes are a fantastic enhancement.

Guest Plumb

It looks engine side.

I mean, if you used an editor to add in the slopes, would you really go to the trouble of adjusting an original level? Looks like a diagonal slope to me.

Tho, it'd be strange to play with.

>Is that sloped sectors I see in the latest screenshot? :)

I prefer to call them "tilted" sectors, since they can be slanted at any
orientation and not just with respect to one of the walls defining the
sector.

-Randy

slope, n. 1. rising or falling ground. 2. any inclined line, surface, etc.; slant. 3. the amount or degree of this. v.i. [SLOPED, SLOPING], to have an upward or downward inclination; slant. v.t., to cause to slope.

slant, v.t. & v.i., to incline; slope. n., an oblique surface, line, etc.

tilt, v.t., to cause to slope; tip. v.i., to slope, incline. n., a slope.

You know, theoretically, if we had 3D floors AND slopes, and were able to use 3D slopes, we would be able to make ANY kind of level (with a LOT of work, mind you), including full reproductions of Quake/Half-life levels.
If I had a choice of just one feature, I would probably go with slopes.