Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #8

18 new WAD files for you in our weekly wrapup of the new files on CDROM.COM.

• Deathmatch Field by Nick Di Cresce - A two-sector deathmatch level for Doom 2. There isn't much to say about this WAD, except that there's lots of items in a big open area. And hey, support for up to 32 players!
  • The House Of Portals by Wim Vanrie - Here's something nice. A 9-level single-player WAD for Doom 2, in a haunted house theme. The music is mostly recycled from other levels of Doom 2, and these levels carry with them such nifty names as "Homophobia", "Phantomuzo", and "Gobrotica". The story line included is entertaining as well. Worth a download! Requires BOOM.
  • Firefire! by Derrick Dela Cruz - Just another Doom 2 deathmatch level. This one is mostly just one texture, being yellow-stone. The light level remains mostly the same throughout the map. If you're truly desperate for a new deathmatch level, this is better than nothing.
  • XXLFragger Skin by XXLFragger - This WAD is nothing more than a single skin. When activated, the marine wears something black over his suit. Requires a skin-supporting port such as ZDoom.
  • Music Collection 1 by XXLFragger - Now, this hardly deserves to be considered DOOM-related, but oh well. A collection of 22 music files plugged into a single Doom 2 WAD. None of it really seems all that fitting for any DOOM level. Although the MUS belonging to Map12 happens to be my favorite. Again, oh well.
  • Ruins by Marc A. Pullen - An amazing masterpiece by the person also known as Fanatic! This map shows off the usual special effects. Floors over floors, underwater, elevators... Even some new textures, and a hearty MP3 to carry you along the way! Enjoy it while it's hot! Requires EDGE.
  • Magic Sacrifice by Shawn Huckabay - A single map for Doom 2 that uses some textures from GothicDM. The level design of this map isn't all that much to be excited about. It could be described as decent. Jumping is required to get through much of the area of this level, so an enhanced DOOM port such as ZDoom is recommended.
  • No Where To Hide by Rob LoFaso - A newbie deathmatch map for Doom 2. The default textures are used in this wad. A round area, a few pillars, and even a couple of HOM effects thrown in for good measure.
  • Ransom by Chris Pisarczyk - This is a pretty good single-player and/or cooperative map for Doom 2. The level design is fairly good. The sound replacements in this WAD can be very amusing, and the music is pretty good as well. There are also a few references to a certain TV show. The reason remains unknown.
  • You Will Die! by Javier Fernando Almenara Otoya - If you like to play Heretic, here is a 4-level WAD. While the levels in question are about as far from eye-candy as you can get, the actual map design isn't all that bad. These maps look like they're trying to be extremely difficult, as a shortage of ammunition plagues your quest.
  • The Edge Of Doom by Mr. Rocket - Here's a map for Doom 2 that looks nice. It remains quite unclear as to whether this is meant for single player or deathmatch action. It's ridiculously difficult in single-player, as well as perhaps a little large for deathmatch. However you want to play it, the sounds and music included in this WAD should be mildly entertaining.
  • SoSueMe by Fod - If not the strangest add-on I have ever seen, easily in the top two. The combination of graphics, music, and custom sounds makes for something really, really weird. Oh yes, and it's a deathmatch WAD, by the way. 2-4 players. I don't know if it will be any good in deathmatch, though. Hey, see for yourself.
  • Sector Seven by Dodge - Okay, this is a little less weird. Getting back to deathmatch. This Doom 2 level is more compact, with typical quality level design. The level doesn't look all that great in itself, but I suppose the idea could grow on you. There's also a music replacement which is pretty good. A couple of new sounds as well.
  • Chord3 by Malcolm Sailor - Every once in a while, a truly great level comes along. This is one of them! Running on Map27, this level brings the experience of something truly spooky. Lots of wood, metal, and even fiery red brimstone! Kind of like the actual Map27 from Doom 2, only better. This level edges toward difficult, so be prepared. An enhanced DOOM port is recommended.
  • Blah, I Can't Think Of A Name by Rob LoFaso - This is another small deathmatch level, much like the first one. Only with wooden textures, some more fighting area, less ammunition, and finally an exit switch.
  • Peashootin! - A deathmatch level in an empty square room. No monsters, no weapons, nothing! Quite possibly the worst DOOM level ever.
  • Project Defoot by Curtis Smith - A supposedly in-progress TC with modified weapons, monsters, sounds, and some music borrowed from the original DOOM. While some of the few frills in this WAD can be fun to play with, the level design is for the most part, atrocious. Enjoy, if possible. Update by Linguica: Good lord. Good sweet Lord in heaven. The levels are like SLIGE but not as polished, and some of the enemies are... um... oh man.
  • Ancient by Jason Free - Single player level for Doom 2, running on Map02. Nothing very special. Some misaligned textures. Very simple rooms. SS Nazis and Spider Masterminds make their home here. Probably a first try.

Guest Wim Vanrie

Hey Opulent,
Thanks, but you're talking about Rvenge there, the house of portals is a different wad. Play it damnit :-)

I am retarded I am retarded I am retarded!!!

Anyway, great job on the /newstuff shit Andrew! /me goes to play the housey of portally thingies

Oh yeah, and maybe you should put the better wads near the top next time?

Yeah, Chord3 to peashootin.
(not to assume that #7 is worse than #6, but more of a general guide)
perhaps, single-player then dm.
doesn't matter to me, the reviews were pretty darn funny this time.
Oh man, all 4 starts in peashootin are in the middle. I guess it does qualify for the 10 sectors contest. good thing there are more than 31 wads already...

Guest Wim Vanrie

Hey Prower;
please tell me what you think about it, love to improve my skills.

No one has mentioned this wad... but I am betting it's the best one up there! (getting it now). Nothing against SailorScout, but I don't enjoy his levels... just a matter of taste.

"You didn't even write a message! WHAT KIND OF STUNT ARE YOU TRYING TO PULL, MISTER?"

Hahah, I accidentally pushed enter before typing text. Oopsie.

Anyway, Malcom Sailor isn't Sailor Scout. Common confusion.

Wim, I'm stuck on the fourth level, I'm in front of a marble temple and there's bars blocking my way.. what to do?

From what I've seen so far, I like it. The hub idea is interesting, the architecture is pretty simplistic, but it works (and the aforementioned marble temple looks really ominous). I especially love the gameplay though - just when you think you're gonna run out of ammo or health, there's an ammo box right there. It's really fun stuff.

Guest Wim Vanrie

Hi Prower,
did you see the bridge lower when you walked over it, well you need to jump in the pit. There you can continue
BTW, Thanks for your comment

Guest Wim Vanrie

Hi Prower,
I forgot to mention that if you want information about my other wads just go to my homepage:
users.pandora.be

Guest Wim Vanrie

It's
users.pandora.be/wimdoom

Guest Wim Vanrie

Three in a row, it's time for number four :-)

Guest Medieval_Gnome

But not 5 in a row...

Guest The Gemini

Aye just testing if it works....
Gemini Rocks!

Guest malcolm

Who on earth is sailor scout anyways???

Now will you check out my map, vorpal?

Does anybody know if Defoot.zip is meant to be a serious TC?
And why does Ty (does he still maintain /newstuff?) not delete crap like peashootin??? On the other hand, it's not even 1k, so it does not really matter...

Good job of being picky, Andrew :)

Now I'm confused... if Malcolm Sailor and SailorScout are 2 different people, which one made the Containment Area map for Doom2? And which one did the Heretic levels? And which one was the one hosted at DoomNation?

The Heretic levels/Containment Area was done by Sailor Scout. The Chord series and Gothic2 maps were by Malcolm Sailor.

...is to sort the stuff, not to judge it. If it were up to me, only 10% (being generous) of the stuff uploaded would survive :) I have no idea why people would think someone else would want to see some of the junk that gets uploaded.

You don't really think I look at all these things, much less play them? I'm glad AndrewB's around to review them, if only so you guys don't waste time downloading junk. It's all I can do to keep the incoming/ directory cleaned out every day or three.

Guest Fanatic

Gotta remember that there are still a lot of newcomers to DOOM editing. A lot of parents think the newer games (Quake 2 and newer) are too violent and realistic, not to mention expensive. So DOOM2 for $9 in the trash bin at the local computer store ain't a bad deal.

They make their first map, it blows chunks, but in their eyes it's the most amazing thing they have ever made. My first map(s) were that way. I didn't upload them because I didn't have anything like CDROM.COM or DOOM World to use, but if I had the chance, I may have uploaded it.

Everyone is quick to jump on these people, but have anyone of you emailed the author to give advice or direction? Or just a "hey, your level wasn't very good, you should refine your skills -try the DOOM World tutorials for some fancy tricks...", etc.

[url="http://www.thatlinkdoesn'texistyousfrad.com"]http://www.thatlinkdoesn'texistyousfrad.com[/url]

Guest icemann666

Btw those "misaligned textures" weren`t misaligned, I designed it that way.