Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DWBS

The end is in sight! With only one day left in our 10 Sectors Contest, the final entries are starting to pour in. Right now the count stands at 108 WADs submitted, and I am hoping that number might make it up to perhaps 120 by the end. Remember that all WADs must be submitted by 11:59 PM Pacific, September 22, which is tomorrow (Friday). Even if your WAD is half-done, you might as well finish it up as best you can and send it in, because time is running short. Whee!

(img)(img)(img)

The more screenshots I see, the more it seems like I'm not going to win that voodoo card. Unless these levels have really horrible playability.

On the other hand, if a lot of the levels are better than mine, that just means I will get to play some really kickass levels after the contest is over.

May the best man win.

I've done a few things to my level that I hope will help make it more balanced and playable.(yet still tough to beat)
1. There's enough light to play comfortably without any gamma correction(unless your monitor is really dark)
2. No nukage, lava, crushers, cheap traps, or any of that kind of foolishness.
3. No plasma gun or bfg.(for the sake of any levels that follow mine if by chance it makes the cut for the megawad).
4. A few non-deaf monsters deep into the level. That way they wander around a bit, and you are never sure exactly where they will pop up :)
5. No major powerups like combat armor, soulspheres, or megaspheres(see no. 3)
6. Varied environments. Some areas are spacious enough to charge around, dodge about and fight many monsters at once, others are tighter, with less time to react to surprise attacks. Monsters are put on different levels (higher or lower) when possible etc.
7. No stupid stuff like fake walls with monsters hidden behind them etc.
8. I tried my best to make the level non-linear, letting the player decide where to go and what to do.

Guest Chris

Why does that marine have those cheating golden eyes on the status-bar, I ask!? You're not iddqd'n when you're playing those levels, Linguica?! You're a real man, aren't you? Yeah, I thought so!! You would never God-mode through a level would you?? Nahhh, thought so!!

:)

Guest _Dimiter_

Where the hell is the September 22nd update of doomworld? BTW, Ling, if you are reading me, tell me whether you got my level and that other funny thing or not? please. I am really getting nuts as the deadline comes closer.

Heh, if you get 128 maps, it could become four full-sized megawads! the fourth would prolly contain mostly shit levels, but wtf =)

Nice screenshots!

Hey, author of this map:
Didn't we forget something in the place where the 2nd screenshot was taken? Look at the slime fall ... (Texture alignment?)

I haven't even IDDQD'd through my own level- which made the UV testing take extra long.

Just sent mine in... god I feel giddy. CC'ed to another account to make sure it arrived ok... about to upload to timestamp it incase I need to prove its mine or something odd like that... My I need to lie down.

All these screenshots look like they are played with IDDQD and ID(K)FA. I don't think Ling is rating them, though, and if he is he probably isn't doing it with cheats.

Also, my original submission for this contest (which had screenshots posted here; no, I won't tell you which one it is yet) took about 11½ minutes for me to complete, and I had so much fun the first time around that I made a second level <g> that takes me an average of 20 minutes to beat (if I get all the items and kill all the enemies...I'm sure if I just raced through it I could do it faster, but then I wouldn't see all the beautiful 10-sector architecture!

Hmm..."8 commandments of stphrz??" Never heard of 'em. I should look for those right now so I can see what you're talking about.

:P Don't listen to me :) If you do, you'll end up sending in a half baked level about an hour before the deadline...lol! At least I did get the sucker sent. I hope Ling gets it ok. Only waiting left to do now. I hope I don't embarrass myself... So which screenshots were of your level???? Tell me.

Guest _Dimiter_

Mine also takes about 20 minutes to complete... in case you know exactly where to go and what to do :)
BTW, according to my clock, the race is over, guys! May the best level win that voodoo...