Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

well due to a strange virus or other odd happenings i was unable to reinstall windows 98. so rather than mess with it now i put win95 on here. besides the lack of a few features it seems win95 does NOT support AGP. so i am asking where can i get an upgrade to give win95 AGP support.

also has anyone ever heard of a virus that blocks the installation of win98SE. it also jumps around ont he network. however i cant seem to get rid of it. first i formated my hard drive but the thing also seems to hide in my BIOS(if that is possible) i know it is some sort of worm. it interuppts the reading of the cab files. the disk is not damaged, that was my first thought, i took it to a tech shop and they said the disk was 100% fine and that it may be a virus. any ideas

if you format your hardrive, which you did, there is absolutely no reason why windows 98 shouldn't load. so format your drive and try again, because afaik, there is no virus that can survive a format.

and do it while your off the network. that way if the virus in on there, you won't have to worry about it during installation.

uh, and symantec.com has a virus encyclopedia that you could use to try and find what kind of virus it is too.

If format.com or memory is infected it can survive,or mbr is involved you need to go lower, use fdisk THEN format

yes i have formated, fdisked and unplugged the network(also no other PC on the network was one) i have even tried my new hard drive and formated/fdisked with LINUX. however no luck. as for the virus. the disk is a cd and so the cd cant be infected. also i tried another CD with format and fdisk on it as well as LINUX. however there is the possiblity that the virus may be surviving in the BIOS memory. my mainboard alows upgrades to BIOS useing software and there are a handfull of BIOS viruses out there. it is the only hting i have yet to try. pulling the plug on the BIOS and then formating. anyway win95 is fine for 2 more months until i remake my system. anyway this has just made me switch to LINUX faster. however internet use is still win95 untill i figure how in the hell to install my modem drivers

Ages ago I had trouble, decided to install win98 again, it kept causing an error during install, was only when I was checking motherboard I saw fan wasn't working, it was a faulty cpu fan! The chip was overheating is all, new fan $6 fixed it.

yea it has been buging me to death, i even tested stuff like that. hell i have never had heat problems with it and it is not overclocked. also i have just replaced all IDE cables and i tried installation from both cd drives. even 2 different hard drives. as i have said the only thing i have not tried yuet is reseting the BIOS memory. RAM checked out the motherboard checks out, cables drives and the CPU also checked out as 100% operational.