Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

YoU Will PasS AwaY!

That's right, the Official And Obligatory Page For Doom And Doom2 has just updated one of its WADs, entitled YoU Will DiE! ... It's currently an eight-level modification for Heretic, so you'll need Heretic to play this WAD... Because it's so hard to find on the site, this WAD can be downloaded and played, straight from here. Now download, play, and enjoy, because I'm not about to, just yet.

I'm very glad to see that some made a wad for Heretic! I'm DLing now so I hope it kicks bootay. I think I should continue my own Heretic map I have laying around...

FREE HISSY!

Well... ICKY POO!!

I quit after the first two maps.

Could get better but I doubt it.
Good try though. I guess...

FREE HISSY!

Guest Gorc

I wish more people liked Heretic. I mean, many people, if you mention Heretic/Hexen on Doom message boards, flame you for not talking about Doom. Heretic is practically the same as Doom, with the same engine!

Even the weapons have the same execution:

The staff is the same as the fist, the Power Gloves are the same as the Chainsaw

The Wand thing is identical to the Pistol, the Crossbow is a Shotgun that fire projectiles

The Dragons Claw is the merely a magic Chaingun, the Pheonix Rod is a Rocket Launcher

The most noticable one is the Hellstaff: it is identical to the Plasma Gun, right down to the projectiles it fires!

The only original weapons are the ball fireing thing, and the powered up versions of each weapon.

I can't be the only person to have noticed this, surely? Or am I the only one who has played Heretic and enjoyed it?

To all those who hate Heretic: try playing the full five episode version. The shareware one only has five of the weapons after all.

Yes your absolutely correct. That's really the reason Heretic didn't really catch on as well as it should have. Most people saw it as more of the same as Doom, but not quite as good.

Hiya.

I agree, heretic is very similar to DOOM2 in a lot of ways. I think the things I've liked most about Heretic have got to be sounds and the color palette. Wierd, i know, but the colors for Heretic are just perfect! Easily the 'most pretty' of all the DOOM/DOOM2/Heretic/Hexen games.

^_^

Damn right Gorc!! Although I really don't care about how the close the weapons.
I absolutely love Heretic, even more that (gasp!) Hexen. Doom and Heretic are in first place for my fav game. (like you care...)

There had been a few good maps produced
(Sailor Scout comes to mind.), but thats about it.

FREE HISSY!

Oh and BloodShedder I did look at the rest of the maps and poo, BUT, more work and practice could make something better.

But you must understand, (IMHO)making a level for Heretic is quite different that making one for Doom...

1) The amount of textures are a lor smaller,
plus they look really bad if you don't use them right. Plus some editors use the default textures that Doom uses when editing Heretic which causes MAJOR headaches finding FLOOR4_8
went it isn't even in there...

2)Monsters are different, so your placement must be different. There really isn't any similarities between Doom and Heretic monsters.

3)lindefs are different. If you use Waded, you soon realize that not all the tags for Heretic are changed over from the Doom ones. But I never used any other editor for Heretic so....

Anyway...
FREE HISSY

Guest Gorc

Hmm, yes. I think its just written off too much by hardcore Doomers. Nice to see so many people here saying how much they like it. Shame that not a lot of maps have been made for it.

Stphrz, good point. But it is, in fact, less like Doom than Doom II is. Ah well.

SgtCrispy, I agree wholeheartedly. Heretic is just so much more fun than Hexen. I mean, Hexen's HUB system of levels has been argued against before, but I just found Heretic so much easier to get into. Not because its more basic, but because its more fun.

The idea of different player classes is good though. I often think what Doom would be like with several different Marines to choose from. Perhaps each able to handle different weapons in different ways.

I also liked Heretic better than it's sequel. An action game like this is made to be played from first person not third person. And besides, again, it was more fun.

I'm not trying to flame or argue, I just wanted to be more specific about some of the little problems in Heretic.

1. Chaingun doesn't use the same ammo as the pistol. Firing the pistol all the time is quite tedious, and thus, pistol ammo essentially becomes the best use of the magic books. It's an ok solution, but only because the other powered up weapons aren't noticably better than the regular ones, which is too bad.

2. Chaingun makes a horrendous, grating noise.

3. Plasma gun weapon fires slowly, and doesn't actually manage to be any better than the shotgun. I don't think it would have been a problem to power it up quite a bit, because then it would burn ammo faster.

4. The BFG replacement is a wonderous Joke, useless in water or variable terrain.

5. Attaching the 'use inventory' button to something convenient (like shift) is rather difficult, because only the main executable will add the proper key to the heretic.cfg, while the setup program happily erases it.

6. And the big one, enemies have too much HPs. Everything is a slugfest in that game.

In spite of all this, I like it. The guy still runs doomy fast and takes full damage from his own explosives, unlike that other guy.

Guest noway687

Hmmm...I still get vertigo with Rise of Triad
which is my fav .Haven't played alot of wads made for it but I dl them from many sites which are now gone .Glad I did :)
Am I off topic ?

Guest Triad

Hmmm...I still get vertigo with Rise of Triad

Strange, I didn't think I was that tall.

Stphrz, good point. But it is, in fact, less like Doom than Doom II is. Ah well.

True, but Doom2 is the same quality as Doom though(some would say a bit better). Heretic is a very good game. It's just not as good as Doom

Guest Gorc

Stphrz, yup. Never said it was better than Doom. Just think it is underated.

Zeku, Heretics BFG "replacement" is bad, but not too bad in powered up mode. A room full of monsters can be easy to empty with it.

Yes, the enemies do tend to have too many hps most of the time. Even the weakest enemies (the flying red Imp things) take too many crossbow bolts before they die.

I say again though, it si underatted for what it is, and it does have a lot of simularites to Doom. Not identical, but pretty good.

If some one made a MOD that lets the Heretic and the Doom guy DUKE IT OUT!!!! Ok, maybe it wouldn't be that exciting, but it'd be fun to see the results.

Another question is who would win?

1st weapon: Heretics staff is faster than Dooms fist, but if Doom gets beserk he has a chance

"2nd 1st weapon": I'm not too sure, i think the Gauntlets and Chainsaw are even. But if Heretic powers them up, then he wins

2nd weapon: The wand is faster than the pistol and even more so with Tomb

3rd weapon: Hmm? Well, Shotgun is cool and the Crossbow is lethal when powered up. A tie?

"2nd 3rd weapon": Well, Heretic doesn't have a "2nd 3rd weapon" so Doom's Super Shotgun wins here

4th weapon: The Chaingun is faster than the Claw, but the claw is more powerful when "Tombed"

(Now lets even the catagorys into EXPLOSIVE, STREAM AND BFG)

Explosive: The Rod and Launcher are even in speed. Not too sure on damage. Tie if you ask me

Stream: The PR is faster than the HS. But the HS does a little more damage i think (Once again, much more with Tomb)

BFG: Now, this is pretty obvious. Doom wins by a long shot, but Heretic has a small chance, if he's powered up.

Now as far as abilities go

Heretic: Can store items, can powerup anyweapon, can fly, can turn people into chickens

Doom: Has more weapons, has more powerful BFG weapon, can protect himself against slime, easier ammo scheme.

So who wins? Heretic or Doom?