Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DiluteCo

Zdaemons new netcode

This new netcode is amazing. me and NightFang were testing it out, and he had me host a server on my 28.8, and he got a solid 200 ping, tell me that isnt fucking amazing.

That is amazing for a 28.8, shit if he got 200 then just imagine what it would be on my Cable!

yeah, it was great, my ping was pretty good, but there's a bit of change in movements, felt like shaky and such...I was testing it at night, probably I was tired out ;D

Davidoom said:

Woah.
Where is this 'net code'?

beta-testers only :)

Nice! When the new version's released there'll probably be a lot more servers. 999cop, you sure that shaking wasn't because of the rate.

Maybe there is some confusion here, let me float this idea. Zdaemon net code is not responsible for "ping". It is responsible for how the game performs in a given ping situation. Your hardware, ISP, internet conditions and the number of hops taken between you and a server determine the ping. Just run ping.exe and see the latency of your connection to an ip address. Tracert gives more information, hop by hop.

If a server is running on a 28.8 modem, it certainly will have a limited bandwidth and won't support many players, even if they reduce their rate settings to a miminum. Net code could optimize this I suppose, reduce the data flow demand so that packet loss would be minimized.

I'm also interested in knowing if any of you beta testers are receiving any assurance that there won't be aimbots or "personal zdaemon clients" coded for this new version. The existance of such, and the use of speedhack.exe, have reduced the value of the current zdaemon.

Biffy said:

The existance of such, and the use of speedhack.exe, have reduced the value of the current zdaemon.

Greatly reduced it

MaTT [TiK] said:
Nice! When the new version's released there'll probably be a lot more servers. 999cop, you sure that shaking wasn't because of the rate.

Unsure, ask Nightfang.

A small request towards NF, please make the new ZDaemon client be able to run without root privileges. Thanks.

Waldon, what are "root privileges"? Is this some software/OS function, or are you talking about things such as aimbot?

Biffy said:

Waldon, what are "root privileges"? Is this some software/OS function, or are you talking about things such as aimbot?

On Unix systems, "root" is the superuser. If a program runs with root privileges, you can do anything to the system, including erase all files in the filesystem, shutdown the machine, DDOS attack sites etc. etc. Obviously something like ZDaemon doesnt need to run as root, it would be better for it to run as an unprivileged user with limited access. Running as root is a security hole as a cracker could exploit bugs in ZDaemon and get root access to the system.

WTF? ZDaemon currently has root privileges?! So there really is a backdoor?

General rule, guys. If you don't know what root is, you don't have to worry about it. Seriously.

Waldon said:

General rule, guys. If you don't know what root is, you don't have to worry about it. Seriously.

Perhaps, but for the few of us who are inclined to host zdaemon servers on Windows machines, we'd like to understand if there is any risk. If I host a server on a network which is not solely my personal network, and there is ever a network security issue, I could face punishment.

You are certain that this issue applies only to zdaemon servers running on Linux?

Look, there are no security holes or backdoors for the last time.

Remember, any talk about "personal clients" or "aimbots" has its roots from the same person who brought you speedhack.exe. Clue up biff.

Doubt me? Check the source code, thats why its there.

Biffy said:

Perhaps, but for the few of us who are inclined to host zdaemon servers on Windows machines, we'd like to understand if there is any risk.

You are certain that this issue applies only to zdaemon servers running on Linux?

Once again. There is no issue. People that don't even know what they are talking about, please don't get upset. I asked NightFang to make the next version of ZDaemon's Linux client be runnable without root privileges, that has nothing to do with the Windows version of either the server or the client. I wish I could put up a sign that says "Case closed".