Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Mini Doom 3 Engine News

Jake Loewen sent word that he emailed id Software lead programmer John Carmack yesterday asking him if Doom 3 will support dual processors like the Quake 3 engine already does. Carmack's response:

Yes, we will continue to provide dual processor acceleration paths.

What I want to know is, will it support 3 monitors like early Doom versions did?

Guest RIP

And how exactly do you make DOOM use 3 moniters?

Version 1.1 of DOOM had the ability to set up a network game with 3 terminals, 2 of them acting as dummies which displayed views 90 degrees to the left and to the right of the player. This feature disappeared when v1.2 got its new network code, although there's still some legacy code floating around for the feature in modern source ports. AFAIK, no one has tried to reimplement it -- a shame I think.

Guest Excalibur_Z

Then again, how many people have two dummy terminals and 2 spare monitors to use just for playing Doom? I think that's one of the reasons they scrapped it.

Guest RIP

Takes a bit more hardware then just 3 moniters though...

It's possible in PrBoom. You just start a coop-game and add the option "-viewangle x", where x is a number from 0 to 7 for the angle. Then you press F12 to change the playerview to player 1. As I looked at it, I think I will try to add the option to let the other views be dummy players which aren't on the map and in the game.

Proff

Luv me some SMP. I can't wait for the first AMD 762 board to come out, so I can get on with some DDR 1.2Ghz Thunderbird action.

Annen I could run Quake 3 even faster.....bleah.

Guest Loki AOD

anybody know of any hack, mod, freeware and/or shareware program that will let me use Dual Processing under Windows ME...

even a Win98 hack would work as well....

I know only Win NT/2000 and Linux allow it, but there must be something out there to let Win98/ME users do it as well...

I need to put this second processors in good use... so any info will be very much appreciated,

thanx,
Jusin (Loki)

Guest Excalibur_Z

I wanted to run dual processors (I have a BP6 mobo, capable of dual-PPGA) but I needed NT (or 2000)... I had NT4 to prepare for it, but I never bought the second Celeron 400. So now I'm just running 98SE.

I don't recommend using NT4 since it has terrible DirectX power, but 2000 is good - just check the compatibility before you install it.

Quasar - yeah but all those monitors would have to be surrounding the player to get the optimum effect out of it, so... doesn't seem too practical. I don't know of many LANs where the monitors are right next to each other all the time =)

In order for an operating system and the programs that run in it to use multiple processors, they must be specially programmed. A multi-OS operating system probably typically tries to balance threads running on each available processor. If your OS is multithreaded (real threads as opposed to windows virtual threads), but the program isn't, you still may benefit slightly, but if neither the program nor the OS is multithreaded, then there's no way to take advantage of it. WinME is not, AFAIK.

Guest Loki AOD

Guess I'll have to start the long-ass download of Linux 7 on my bitch-ass 56k....

a whopping 30 hours of download

but, for dual-processing... anything!

Justin

Guest RIP

Have you tried r_smp 1 in Quake3? Did it work?

Guest Excalibur_Z

Have you considered the BeOS? www.be.com

Guest Loki AOD

nope... didn't work, as a matter of fact, it locked up the game... and I'll take a look at BeOS as well...

thanx

Guest Captain Napalm

Legacy supports 3 monitors, havenĀ“t ttried it yet though.
Would be cool I guess.

Well, Linux only if you're willing to "wine" most of the games you originally could play under Dos/Windows. Most games don't have a specific Linux port with pthreads support.

For maximum compatibility I'd probably wait for Whistler.

Personally I run win2k even though I don't have multiple processors.