Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #17

Eight new WAD files, in our weekly presentation of the new things found on CDROM.COM.

• Vrack by Fredrik Johansson - Ahh, this is quite nice. A single map for Doom 2, located on a base, somewhere out in space. The design of this map is very professional. Lots of detail, lots of well-done texture variety. The level engineering is quite advanced as well, with doors requiring two switches to open, and things of the like. And if you're sick of the plain old Map01 music, no worry! There is a music replacement, which I think is quite fitting. Enhanced DOOM port required.
  • Corp by Kim Vidal - What have we here? This appears to be a single deathmatch map, for Doom 2. The level itself is quite small. It does have a few strange new textures, though. A new sky, a new flat. And some bar codes, which seem to absorb some missile attacks. I think there are deathmatch levels out there, which are more enjoyable than this.
  • Missil by Kim Vidal - Yet another deathmatch map for Doom 2. Some more neat new textures, mostly in grayscale. The concept and design of this map is really rather unique. Cracks and crevasses in the ground. Platforms, safe spots. It could make for a very interesting deathmatch!
  • Station Alpha Omega by Giac Veltri - I think some of you guys should enjoy this. A single-player map, for Doom 2. Stationed somewhere on a space base, you need to *yawn*, destroy everything, and find your goal. The map design is fairly good, and the level is large. A few new well-placed textures as well. Enhanced DOOM port recommended.
  • Atlantis by Striker - Here is a very unique deathmatch level for Doom 2. A very small, fog-filled, underwater level! The different weapons are scattered evenly, with the BFG appropriately being the most difficult to obtain. There's even a soothing new music track to accompany it! Very much worth the small download. Requires ZDoom.
  • Gallows 2 by Anthony Soto - This should be enjoyable! Two new maps for Doom 2. Map01, and Map07. Both maps are similar in design, although the bonus level (Map07), has some really difficult challenges. Lots of color, and lots of interesting design in both of these maps. The music replacement on the first level should keep you entertained as well!
  • Room 101 by Sock - Those of you looking for something along the lines of classic DOOM feel, you needn't look much further! This map plays on Ultimate DOOM's E1M1, but tends to feel more along the lines of E2M6-M7. Ammo balance is very good most of the way through, and yes, this map does look like it came from the lost levels of DOOM. Enjoy!
  • Tenchi Muyo Doom by Curtis Smith - A very, very strange WAD, which seems to be almost a random jumble of sprites, textures, sounds, music, and levels. The music has its qualities. The levels are nothing to brag about. The sounds can be amusing, and the graphics seem to be randomly painted, and pulled from screen savers. Enhanced DOOM port recommended.

Guest Russell P

Missil looks kinda similar to a one-player map i'm building at the moment. Damn!

Guest Firebrandt

That level rocks period. The Hissy easter egg was a nice touch. ;)

Guest The Mole

Just like you said Firebrandt, it rock period. 'Nuff said

Is it me, or is Vrack seemingly inspired by some of the levels of Dystopia 3? I couldn't help but get a sense of deja vu in some places...

Nightmare: The author too, actually :)

I guess it's because of the music (that was also used in Dystopia3 Map 4)

Pretty neat map also, similar to a quake2 one I once did... Too bad keyboarders cannot play it, since we cannot swim down.

Guest Fanatic

Vrack -WOW! Awesome moody design, I really got into the space station mood.

Vrack is really 1337. GO DOWNLOAD IT *NOW*!!!!!!11 (BTW, Fredrik made me to write this, but the map is actually really good)

Yup, AndrewB's comments are pretty close to how I feel about these WADs. My favourites are Station Alpha Omega. I really like the slimy girder supported area. The whole thing sounds and looks pretty atmospheric too.

Ahead by quite a bit IMO is vrack 'though. The thing is fairly large, but logical. I spent very little time wandering around aimlessly trying to work out what needed to be done next and the action flowed well in a good looking level with nice special effects.

Coincidence they are both space stations? I dunno, I just like them.

Give us a clue - where is the Hissy Easter egg? I have played Vrack through twice now and not spotted/realised it was there.

Not only is it a really fun and atmospheric level, but it also has the coolest secret ever! (use the wall behind the red key) Definitely worth a download!

Hey, I just noticed that the sky in Vrack looks really similiar to a sky I made ages ago for Paradox.

Mine looks better though :)

Guest Striker

For the positive comments on atlantis.

On the keyboarder front bring down that ever so cool console and type

bind <key> +movedown

You can now press that key to sink like a rock in water making the level play able with the keyboard, though I still suggest a mouse for all your 3dgaming needs. +moveup can be used as swimup though its rather senseless to bind since +jump doubles as swimup.

>Hey, I just noticed that the sky in Vrack >looks really similiar to a sky I made ages >ago for Paradox.

>Mine looks better though :)

Be aware that the three most recent emails Nick sent me have been about something I have done that he did before me.

Yes, Mr. Nicholas Sancroft Baker.
You probably did a black bitmap with a load of light grey dots on before I did. I accept that and feel like a retard.