Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

Swedish Ego

Anthony Soto has posted some exclusive screenshots from the in-progress Vrack 3 by Fredrik and also the western-themed project by Tomi Rajala, in the latest phase of a bit of rivalry with Fredrik Johansson, which apparently escalated during the latest Speedmapping exercise.

Note: Take a look at the alt tags on those pictures.

The ceiling detail in that first screenshot is absolutely rediculous. Why don't you create some useful detail?

Isn't the phrase "useful detail" an oxymoron? If a structure contributes to gameplay, it's not "detail" imho.

I think he means balance. Having a ceiling like that and then floor/walls made in E1 style looks kinda stupid.

Not to beat a dead man while he's down or anything but afterglow and Lut are right. It's such a ridiculously stark contrast of a bare floor and unbelievable cieling detail. Plus, since all the cieling detail is the same texturing it is hard to distinguish it anyways.

Is this what is costing me better frame rates on my P300 64MB ?

Guest The Gemini

the vrack3 screen shot looks ok.. detail with cool structure is better then 500 linedefs that each go to all sorts of angles u cant even figure out what its supposed to be..

cant wait for that western project wad. heh that real-photo on screenshot 3 or 4 looked pretty gay by the way.

Guest The Gemini

the vrack3 screen shot looks ok.. detail with cool structure is better then 500 linedefs that each go to all sorts of angles u cant even figure out what its supposed to be..

cant wait for that western project wad. heh that real-photo on screenshot 3 or 4 looked pretty gay by the way.

Heh, that picture in screenshot 3 might be a picture of the creator Tomi Rajala. heh.

Otherwise, why would he use a pic like that?

Guest Archvile46

You don't play Doom on the ceiling???!!!! When were you planning on telling ME this????

Not many of you read the tags.

The picture on the wall is Carmack at 15 years old.

Hyena, uhm, I don't know how to say this but: I made that up. That is not carmack on the wall. I have no idea who that is on the wall. hehe

Umm, mate, the guy who made the post about the picture is the sameone who's page it is. Duh! :)

I'd love to put that kind of detail on the floor as well, but that would make the level very annoying to play. The ceilings in a level are static and non-interactive elements which you can make decorative, while the floors should be kept clean. If a floor would be built like the ceiling in this Vrack3 room, the player would go up and down and sometimes get stuck when moving around. That would take down the fun of the gameplay quite a bit.

The room on the pic is a vessel docking bay, and the floor would have a usage: putting crates & stuff on it. The ceiling does as well have a purpose, but not to the virtual space station. You see, this room is also the start area of Vrack 3. My intention with the ceiling detail is both to impress the player with a breathtaking scenario and to make clear from the beginning that the space station (not the level vrack3.wad, the space station the WAD is supposed to simulate) is extremely advanced. Besides, those sectors in the ceiling could have been just a detailed floor texture replacing FLOOR0_4, what I really did was to build a 3D texture :P

About what Mr. Fish said, most of it is true. But I did not say his level was bad, only that the visual part was not very impressive.

Well, Anthony...

Tomi Rajala is of course an idol of mine, because of his great work. I did a level for DWSPD004 inspired by his levels, but does that make me a wannabe? Like everybody who have tried ep1-style editing would be Romero wannabes... umm... forget that...

There's only one sentence in Anthony's update that I can not stand; "He's shameless." I consider that an insult. But I have insulted a lot him already so why bother... :) And as far as Classic goes... I keep to my opinion that your levels do not properly reproduce the atmosphere of the original Doom. Partially because I'm a purist, but I have actually played levels that really do. You seem not to listen to my criticism regarding Classic, obviously because you have those very high thoughts about it yourself.

I do however fully understand that much was left to be made in Vrack 2. That's why I'm now making Vrack 3.

Guest The Gemini

u better not put 'vrack2 was believed by many to be the level ever created' in the txt file.

who is this tomi rajala by the way? ive seen his name on doomworld and stuff i think a few times but i dont think ive played any maps by him... any wads i should try?

Guest The Gemini

stupid brain damage...
that was supposed to be 'u better not put "vrack2 was believed by many to be the BEST level ever created" in the txt file'..

Guest mantra`

anthony soto is god.
derek is god.
everyone on the de2 team is a god.
fredrik is a peon with a ceiling fetish.

Guest rethcir

I want to eat some lonely swedish fish!

Do saabs still have the wierd console ignitions?