Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

POTD

To avoid a questions, here's some technicalities:

I made this room as one of my first tests after adding hexen/zdoom wad format (& thus slopes) support to WadC (1.1 beta). The room is built out of 16 "pie segments", each of which is a quarter arc on ceiling or floor, made using slopes, and given correct curvature using sin().

The result is an almost perfect sphere room, a first in doom. I had made sphere rooms before using the patented "ReOL dEtail" method, but using slopes is way cooler.

Guest mantra`

ph33r the power of wadc

Then why is the room so dark? I can't even see the spherical properties of it. It looks like a screenshot that's hiding its cylindrical properties.

This reminds me of the bottom of my stomach. AndrewB: one of the reasons it looks so dark is because of the texture he chose, which was a hell lot better choice then the brick10 version I saw.

Aard, you've got to include this example wad in wadC 1.1 for the hell of it!

what is your problem? you honestly think I am faking this, do you? well, see for yourself: http://wouter.fov120.com/slopesphere.wad (needs zdoom 1.23, duh).

I mean, what I did is not even difficult, anyone can figure out that with slopes you can make a sphere, just noone has done it before. I got a kick out of it, anyway.

fishy: I certainly will.

Could you release this for download? You see what he has done here is successfully utilized just one of the hundreds of great things we can do with slopes(nobody seems to realize!). It adds a whole new level of detail, seriously. Try applying slopes to ceilings, stairs, everything; it looks twice as cool.

Umm, are you okay? You're saying you ACTUALLY LIKE something? I think you ought to go and see a doctor...

Heheh, only joking :)

Guest Fanatic

Wicked neat man!

Guest Excalibur_Z

That's really freaky... I can't even see the seams between the textures. It's like one solid, flush texture all the way around! How is this possible when the Doom textures used rectangular templates?

Guest Fanatic

ZDOOM handles it automatically (like Quake handles texture alignment from a global point).

ZDoom cheats when it maps the flats to a slope... it still keeps it perfectly in line with the grid... a 64x64 slope of 45 degrees for example will hold the exact same texture of a 64x64 floor floor, not a pixel more and not a pixel less... as a result, a slope which meets a flat floor with the exact same floor texture will align perfectly instead of being half screwed (if that made sense)

No, no. Of course I believe it's a legitimate sphere. I was just kidding with you. Still, it's hard to appreciate it through that screenshot, with the sphere being so dark and all..

Guest Kinoshkana

Just pull it off in Vavoom. :-)

Guest AnubiS

Wow, I remember the day when I would just about kill for the ROR effect... a year later your inside a friggin ball... incredible..

Killer Job!!!

<font size=1><samp>-While many people think making a map of your school in Doom is twisted, I find it quite relaxing...</samp></font>

Guest javasucks

You can tell by looking that its not spherical, anyway it's too dark.

Obviously it's not a perfect sphere but it's certainly a lot closer than anything anyone else has done.