Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #46

Eight new WAD files are brought to you in our ever-so-weekly presentation of the new things found in Newstuff.

• Deathmatch Level 1b by De Zeurkous - The name seems quite appropriate for the map itself, as both are quite unimaginative. One deathmatch map for both DOOM and Doom 2, running on the first map. One rectangle-shaped room, with messy textures. It's jam-packed with enough weapons and items to make the game crash upon saving. A few barrels in there as well. Keep on reading, folks. Nothing to see here.
  • Beyond The Bridges by Xontor - An interesting modification this time. One map for Doom 2, taking on really a variety of themes, indoor and outdoor. Not all that much detail, and some strange texture choices. Playability is decent. Ammo and health balance is good. Not overly difficult. Some good light and height variations. A couple of new graphics, and some sounds are borrowed from Quake and Duke Nukem 3D. Finally, many 3D floors and over/under rooms. Requires Doom Legacy.
  • Leoric by Javier Fernando Almenara Otoya - One map for Doom 2, running on Map04. Not overly playable. A few square sections of map, with different light levels, indoor and outdoor. It shows off a few standard map designing tricks, a new graphic, and a few sound replacements. A couple of fruity upbeat MIDI music replacements, though.
  • Ground Zero by Various Authors - A very interesting modification for Doom 2. Used primarily for large deathmatch games, preferably 6 to 8 players, this is a Capture The Flag map with some very complicated functions, two huge bases that very much resemble castles, and some automatic security systems for each base. Within the base there are armories, medical aid stations, and general deathmatch goodness. Some new sounds and graphics too, of course. Requires ZDoom.
  • CyberMatch by Sinsky - This is a very different deathmatch modification for Doom 2, running on Map15. This WAD does not work well with a source port at all, so testing it out can be difficult. Players evidently appear as Cyberdemons when deathmatching each other in this reddish-hot map. Some of the player's weapons seem to been made faster , although unknown if this is what happens during actual gameplay. The rest is up to you to find out, although be warning, this only seems to work with doom2.exe, and the Dehacked patch makes it a bit more complicated.
  • Deathly Base by Diluted - One deathmatch map for Doom 2, not very large. An indoor map, in one basic area, with about five or six separate texture themes. Not much detail, although the map doesn't look all that bad, despite the many misaligned textures. Weapons are placed appropriately in their own areas, so it makes for at least a decent deathmatch level. That's about it.
  • Rise Of The Triad Music by Tavish Misra - A rather self-explanatory WAD. 32 music replacements for Doom 2, one for each map. Music from Rise Of The Triad is used.
  • Macvilewhore's Super Duper Yay Sound Wad by Macvilewhore - Something again interesting. No maps, but a lot of sounds. Pretty much every sound in Doom 2 has been replaced or modified. Hard to describe it other than just being a whole bunch of sounds. Well, most of the sounds seem to have a lot less bass, but at least they seem to be appropriate replacements, and not just random clips thrown together in one big messy ball. Requires ZDoom.

Guest Kinoshkana

Hmm, interesting.

Interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting interesting.

Guest UAC PR Dept.

"although be warning..."
Give that CyberMatch description another look. Sounds very all-your-base-ish. :-p

And Kinoshkana: How exactly do you "quash" an invasion? I'm not exactly a walking dictionary, nor do I have one with me or have any convenient access to one, but that sounds like a made up word. :-) It rox though.

how does a sound wad require zdoom? what is the world coming to?

Guest Zeurkous

ZDOOM REQUIRED FOR NORMAL PLAY!

Guest Zeurkous

I originally made the wad for a former friend of mine. It was his idea :)

De Zeurkous
-----------

Friggin' Machines!

I was talking about 'Macvilewhore's Super Duper Yay Sound Wad ' zerkous

thanks nick, but like what? :)

Guest Zeurkous

I know that i only posted a comment becuz i wanted to react to AndrewB (I made a poopie) and explain it (to get the blame off me!) (second post) :)

By the way, this was NOT the wad where i was talking about in the comments of the previous Newstuff Chronicles.

De Zeurkous
-----------

Friggin' Machines!

Yeah, quash is a word. Its like squash, but not so much. Urh, yeah %-)

I haven't actually played the .wad, but from what I can see in SNDINFO, it looks like the three types of zombies now use different sounds from one another.

Also, it looks like the armour, keys, weapons, etc all have different pick up sounds.

I didn't even know that any of this was possible in ZDoom, but obviously it is :)

Guest Zeurkous

WHO THE HECK DID CHANGE MY COMMENT? ANDREWB OR SOMETHING?

Guest Zeurkous

`I made a poopie' Someone changed my comment!

Guest Zeurkous

Is the text "f*i*r*s*t c*o*m*m*e*n*t" blocked?

Guest UAC PR Dept.

Wakkha! (pronounced with PHLEGM!)

heh, nah. Just smoked too much solid. Things were trippy!

Guest Kinoshkana

It's an automatic thing.

Blame Ling.

Guest Busted Corpse

Ground Zero looks really cool...

But it also seems real limited.

GZ uses Dehacked patches, which means that it is restricted to the 9 weapons of Doom...
Which when split between half a dozen character classes seems too little to me.

The base defences (Ion Cannons, Obelisks of Light, Turrets, Sam Sites and Nuclear Bombs)
are incredible, and carried out very well, especially as they encourage effective teamwork.

What also encourages teamwork is the method of opening the enemy gate in the supplied map, by having to hit four switches, while all the time being bombarded by a-bombs, Ion blasts and the enemy, forces the team to come up with an effective strategy for attack. (or at least allows for in depth defensive tactics)

I cant help feeling that Ground Zero could be so much more, maybe even the equal of something like Skulltag if it was a source port mod, and not an exe hack.

Here's to hoping.... :)

Blame the people in the Doom community who can't tell when something's getting old. Same things happening with this 'moo' thing.

Do something new, not old!

No, it's just annoying when people keep doing the exact same thing over and over again, especially it wasn't particularly funny in the first place.

It's rather hypocritical for the people doing these annoying things to get annoyed when other people stop them from doing it.

I always find this amusing.

People used to always shout "first ----- (you know)" whenever something interesting came up. Trying to brag about being the first to read it.

Doomworld nazidude Linguica implemented a code to change it to "I made a poopie"
I can never stop laughing at people's reaction.

It's always:
1. I thing there was an interesting point made in the I made a poopie.
2. When I said "I made a poopie" I meant "I made a poopie"
3. WHAT THE @*!! IS GOING ON?

by admitting its annoying they're more likely to do it

Guest jao2000

What a good WAD file!... I think it will be advisable for all of you guys to pick up it & look for a ver good material...

Won´t be disapointed...