Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

POTD

How nice is that? Very.

Oh look at that, you can see the controll panel under the shotgun sprite.

Guest NunoC

3d floors bah who needs them$"!$"?!$

Guest Fanatic

Sweet!!

Guest BlackTerror

At least it's still using Doom textures.

Guest candyman

i agree

Guest WadEd

Looks good, it DOES look a lot like quake but with a distance fade and lack of ultra cool looking lighting.

Guest dezo

ahhhhh
just another improved doom what else a
doom tournament???

Guest Striker

As for doom tournament...
http://www.doomworld.com/skulltag
*smirk* actually that port is a blast (skulltag that is) well any port is actually. Doom really isn't about yesterdays engine in my opinoin though. It has its own flourish and open style about levels. Not only that there is a certian speed and smoothness you see in doom that you don't have in other games. I actually thought long and hard about things that I thought made doom good in my opinion here is what i have thus far.

1. Speed lets face it, doom is one of the faster moving fps's out there. Sure the scale speeds may be a bit obscene but its fun that way. You play later games after playing doom and the first thing I always think is "Why am i moving so slow?"

2. Power doom was also about big guns, how many games can you fire a shotgun in and have 2 or more baddies drop. In doom you step into a room full of zombies and you don't generally flip out and run the other way its just normal. In later and later games weapons tend to have less edge multiple kills with one weapon isn't that often anymore. How many times have you tried to see how many pistol troopers you could nail with good old two barrel?

3. Mixture of monsters - this guy converted the doom1 episode "knee deep in dead" to quake2 format converting all the textures as well so they looked pretty much like the original his notes on this conversion were generally a) the quake2 guy was taller and you had to duck in some places b) quake2 monsters were more buff and he couldn't replace them monster for monster with the doom2 monsters because then the levels became impossibly hard. Its the b quality I am concentrating here though. You see doom blended tough bastards that would make you sweat just hearing them you got a steady stream of zombies and imps. These guys are your fillers so to speak. What they accomplish is basically giving you something to keep your busy while roaming the level it keeps the game fast paced knockin' them down one after another. Then this is coupled with a sudden jump to tougher bad guys which require some dodging and fast moves to take care of for your hard spots, or you could just volumes of the weaker guys in special ambushes to get the point accross. The monster configuration of doom allows for large amounts of versatility. Lets consider unreal for example. None of its baddies can be taken to lightly, generally you find yourself either walking around looking for action, or once you found action especially later on franticaly fighting to keep that health up for future possibly nastier encounters. It gets tedious though in comparison to something like doom where its bam bam bam bam, it keeps your adrenaline pumped with all those small fries to pick off while still reserving challenges to throw at you its not stop and go action its constant. Just like anything you need your climaxes but you also need those lull spells for the person enjoying to work to work off the stress. And well those zombiemen are great stress releavers. Also in later games I tend to find that when i hear a bad guy its because he's right on top of me. Doom had this whole, its out there and its going to get me vibe going. Your noise alerted some imps and zombies out there you hear them for ever unable to really find them until later in the level all the time though they torture you with their noise. If you hear a monster in say quake, you see the monster, and well you see my point noise doesn't carry as well. It seems that many map makers know how to really get me on edge, I mean a cyberdemon noise is one thing its pretty hard for those lumbering guys to sneak up on your but a revenant *shudder* I hear those angry hisses and I still break out in cold sweats and when I'm in a level with one of those guys deliberately left in a teleporter room awaiting release which is at the end of the level or something it will drive me nuts. I know i will run into him, i know it will most likely teleport in the worst place at the worst time and the suspense is killing.

Doom is about constant fast paced action. Changes made in later games generally slowed that down which is why they no longer have the same feel and appeal as the original. Remember Duke3D? It took the other avenue of a slower gameplay with a tough in general enemy cast instead of depending on the filler/killer scheme and it just wasn't as good gameplay wise.

Actually I look at that doomers bible and it just looks like if they went by that book word for word it might have turned out more like Duke3d so I'm glade Id software decided eventually to just "wing that mother" and spit out that hellspawn which we still play today.

If the rest of the design is as faithful to the traditional Doom experience as it appears to be I think it proves 1 thing:
You don't need over elaborate rendering engines to create an enjoyable game just a good design.

I would personally like to see Movie (or Demo) of the Day implemented at Doomworld however so that we can get a better feel for the content.

Guest Busted Corpse

Dammit!

Why doesn't Zdoom have those 3d floors? :(

What editor do people use to create 3D floors like this? Or is it simply a sector layout trick which the port correctly interprets?
Or do you have to do something god-awful like have a textfile hack added afterwards containing specific sector info?

Barry
gerbil@theburrow.co.uk

Guest Busted Corpse

nah... ya just change the linedef code thingys and throw in some dummy sectors...

281 - Creates a solid 3D floor in all tagged sectors.
289 - Creates a solid 3D floor in all tagged sectors, does not cast a shadow.
300 - Creates a solid translucent 3D floor in all tagged sectors.
301 - Creates translucent 3D water in all tagged sectors.
302 - Creates 3D fog (uses control sector's colormap) in all tagged sectors.
303 - Creates a 3D light (at control sector's ceiling height) in all tagged sectors.
304 - Creates a 3D light (same as 303 except the 3D light is reset at control sector's floor height)

...apparently (check out legacy.newdoom.com)

but Zdoom's better anyway :)

Guest Busted Corpse

presumably EDGE has something very similar
(since Legacy's 3D stuff was inspired by it)
and I dont think there is any way of faking this with Zdoom, I've been trying to use multiple stacked sectors with transfer heights, Bridge things and suspended StepX textures to make the sides but to no avail :(

I use WinDeu right now, it's line based, so it makes it generaly easier for me to work on those 3d floors. I based this wad on an old unfinished level I made with DCK 2.2 back in 1996. There's actualy a whole room on top of this one (it doesnt have much details though, its rather easy to add more details, but I want it to remain simple, E1 style). For those saying no one needs 3d floors and that they ruin the game, well, it's your choice, but now that I got used to them, frankly, I couldn't live without them. Just dont let this new "power" overwhelm you though, 3d floors are nice, but if you abuse them, gameplay will suffer, try to keep things simple, dont stack 36 rooms.

This is an E1 style level, I want to see what I can come out with, using 3d floors and swimmable water, while still keeping in the E1 mood. Kind of a personnal challenge. If I like the end result, maybe I'll work on a few levels and make a mini episode, or if anyone is working on a E1 style legacy project, I would be glad to contribute.

PS. I have around 20 control sectors just for that stair and the room above it, I had to make that much because half the room is built over swimmable water.

Dakker: Nice use of the Legacy engine. Nice to finally see some Quality stuff get done for it. The stuff I've seen released so far have been depressingly bad.

BTW: SoM have a project called Master, it's really kickass. :p

Guest Transon

yeah, EDGE has them. and some cool efects, too :] i will send you a pic of the day with them... later.

those extrafloors look very good, hehe. but... how good is the FPS in front of the stair???

Guest Busted Corpse

Miss! (and hit the pillar)

There's no real slowdown in GL in front of the stair, but in software, in 800x600 or more on my duron 700 things slows down a bit, but I didnt notice any slowdown in 640x400. (nor in 320x200 ;)

You know what it reminds me of? It reminds me of TNT-Evilution. What's your real name, Drakker? Is it by any chance Drake O'Brien? If it is, than that resemblance is no coincidence. Damn good levels O'Brien made in Evilution BTW, especially "Central Processing."

Nah, my real name is David Pelletier, the last time I released a level it was in 1997, on local Canadian and Québec BBSes. Oh, and map27 in the second 10 sectors map pack was my entry. My deathmatch level called "Dead Zone" for Doom 2 was very popular around here, but my "fame" ends there. I never got to release my old stuff on the net.

And about Evilution, I got it recently but havent played it yet, except for map01, whats the map # your talking about?

Guest Twitch

My name is Twitch, and I like Doom, I have it for SNES, computer, and soon to have it for 32x.