Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #49

There are but three new ZIP files which deserve a mention, consisting of seventeen levels total in our weekly acknowledgement of the goodies found in Newstuff.

• The Hexagon Base by [url="ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/deathmatch/Ports/g-i/hexbase.txt" ]Jan Engelhardt[/url] - Just one deathmatch map for Doom 2. An interesting hexagonal map with some floor over floor effects. A room in the middle with multiple overlapping ramps, and a slime pit. There's a few textures replacements as well. Requires Doom Legacy.
  • Capture The Flag Megawad by [url="ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/levels/doom2/deathmatch/Ports/a-c/ctf.txt" ]Various Authors[/url] - A thirteen-level CTF megawad for Doom 2. These maps seem mostly clean and nice looking, but they're very repetitive. Each map has a blue and a red base. Almost every single map is a four-way-mirror map, a couple of them are two-way mirrors. They're also quite flat, with very little significant height variation in any of the maps. Still, this can provide some enjoyable Capture The Flag action. There are some graphic and sound replacements, as well as one music replacement. Requires Doombot.
  • Chainsaws And Boomsticks Special Edtion Demo by [url="ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/deathmatch/Ports/a-c/cbs_se_dm.txt" ]Sgt Crispy[/url] - A three-level deathmatch WAD for Doom 2. These maps have some real quality, and a nice variety in their themes. Lots of nice detail, lots of curvy walls. Nothing much different than what you'd expect in a quality deathmatch WAD. Some nice texture replacements and some half-decent music replacements.

Works fine here. Try using a different program to access it with.

I'm using IE. No other FTP does that.

I noticed direct links to anything on there will do that. I can cut+paste the URL in the browser and it works fine, but even if you click a new directory on their FTP, it goes crazy refreshing until you enter the address manually.

Guest Busted Corpse

yay! CTF :)

Not the outer circle
The INNER shape is a hexagon.
(Sorta hexagon in a circle)

-Why did not AndrewB mentioned the reuploaded circarea and sqbase?

lev 2 does not work with doom2.exe, i got a vis plane overflow when i turned left out of the one player start area

From the text file:

"Game : Doom 2
Port : Tested with Legacy and ZDoom, but not the orginal doom2.exe"

So there you go.

There are but three new ZIP files which deserve a mention, consisting of seventeen levels total in our weekly acknowledgement of the goodies found in Newstuff.

yes m8, i read that too! I wasn't criticising or anything, just letting ppl know, as until now it's ability to be run with doom2.exe hadn't been determined.

I took a look at chainsaws and boomsticks. at first glance i looked pretty ok. but after that glance I noticed that (appears so anyway) not 1 single texture have been aligned. In map02 I also noticed that Sgt Crispy used some really strange flats against the textures he choosed. Like for instance on a greystone(stone1 if i recall the name) wall he had put brown growel/rocks.

Not to diss your work Sgt Crispy, just thought you should look into that. Then again if you like it like that, then i'll just keep quiet.

Yes, I know that the textures are not aligned properly, but then again it is a demo.

Ya know, demo? "D E M O" As in demonstration?

:)

Im glad you said something about the "greystone" texture Ebola, I guess I really never noticed it being out or place like that. But what texture? More brown? eck

Also I figure that no one uses the orginal exe anymore. so I never bothered testing with it. But I guess there still are really old school Doomers still out there.

At any rate, it's only a demo, the textures WILL be aligned, and USE A PORT!

meh

Calling it a demo isn't any excuse not to align the textures. Calling it a demo is an excuse to release it before it's all finished.

demo or not thats just desperation releasing it like that, for the sake of an hour or so lining up the textures. Im not slagging the wad, I think it will be fine when finished, it reminded me of Gothicdm, my favourite deathmatch wad. Level one played a bit slow for some reason, something to do with those strange horizontal bars on the windows I think.

Desperation??? the hell? It's been out for quite some time now, but CDROM.com didn't have it anymore, so I just rereleased it.

I released it in the first place just to show off the map progress from the orginal Chainsaws and Boomsticks.

Also other TCs and whatnot have had demos released, so I figured the hey, and so I made one too.
(bad idea I guess...)

just like in real life, I can't do anything right...

Guest Busted Corpse

Hell, I liked it... :)

CTF comments? pleeaase! :)

Hey, dont get your nickers in a twist. I still think its better than most of the stuff thats released. You cant beat a good castle wad. But still, if its been around for a while, you have had time to fix the textures. Anyway it still looks and feels great. That hexagon map has a distinctly unfinished look to it too, Im tempted to open it in deth and tidy it up.

And? I just have reuploaded my Circular Area and Square Base 'cause you could not load a required Resource WAD, but that is fixed now. Now, you just need the level WAD and nothing more!

vvvvvvvvv Visit it.

Guest Busted Corpse

hmm. nobody comment on CTF. :(

<font size=1><samp>*Busted Corpse sobs*</samp></font>