Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

Disturbing SDA

Wavelength, stop posting these annoying messages. If you have nothing constructive / interesting to say, shut up.

Mordeth -- thank you. :)

Wavelength -- Demos show a player's skill, it is a 'demonstration' of the game, they show off the maps, etc...
Personally, I don't see how anyone who PLAYS the game cannot enjoy watching demos. Watch any demo of Anders Johnsen recorded in the last year -- I guarantee a vicarious thrill. YOU wish you could play like that -- whether it's deathmatch or a single-player maxdemo; the moves, the control, the SKILL. They are entertaining to watch.
To put it more simply: playing demos is playing Doom. modifying md2s, creating maps, scripts, and even wadfiles are all good and fine. but demos ARE the game. Go watch a CZM demo. I defy you to tell me that it's boring or uninvolving -- and if you do, you're lying.
but of course, I've probably watched 30 thousand FPS demos, so you're asking a biased person. :)
watch DDQR and D2DQ from the player's perspective and see if that answers your question.

First off, thanks Doug :) And keep up the good work with SDA.

Wawelenght, may I ask whats the point of posting comments like that? When something is of no interest to you, why do you have to make a point out of it? Its just wasted energy.

The update is there for people who have an interest in it, obviously. Getting the latest bunch of demos from Opulents SDA updates, Public Dang or Compet-N is for me what doom is all about. And I know I'm not alone, the Doom community consist of diverse bunch of interests which comes to show how much this game have to offer. And thats a good thing, not?

hehe, I just loved those DDQR demos. I watched them several times. Those moves are just incredible. Like e4m8. It's incredible. Just to think it out.

::wipes spit off his shirt::

...So what you are saying is, there is no plausible, worthy point to recording demos. Now you accusing me of making the pointless posts... Sheesh... Whenever I see news updates with the word "demo" I think "great, more hot air". None of it matters. A real player doesn't need to "show his skill", especially this way, where the only people who are going to take the time to watch (lol) recorded doom-demos are dead-beats and sobs with nothing better to do.

oh yeah real skill playing (laugh) Doom, i'm impressed. now give me a good god-damn answer, eh?

I have seen some very narrow-minded posts in the Doom community over the years, but that is one of the ignorant that Doomworld has ever seen.
So what you are saying is: DOOM, the game, is pointless to play and a waste of your time.
Why do are you here(on Doomworld) if you don't care for the game?
I bet you go to a Metallica concert then strike up conversations about how much you can't stand their music.
Unbelievable.

I hate to drop to your level, but since you attacked me personally, I'll ask:
What's your big contribution to the Doom community?

Guest The Mole

I see you clearly are a person who doesnt like to make/watch demos. But, that doesnt mean no one can like them.

Why do i record demos? Firstly (like Doug said already), to show skill. But, that by far is not the only reason. I also record demos to try and beat the best times and become the fastest yourself, it gives you a great feeling. It's also a way of publicity, the Doom commmunity would've been much smaller if we werent able to record demos.

Why do i watch demos? Mainly because i just like to see other people playing, of course. But, when i cant find secrets/finish a level i'll also watch a demo which shows all secrets. Sometimes, when you play a very hard level, it's difficult to believe someone finished it without saving (in other words, he/she recorded a UV max demo of it), so you have to see them do it before you actually believe it.

Wavelength -
You talk about people with "nothing better to do" still you waste time arguing about something you don't understand. You are knocking yourselfe in the (presumedly thick?) head over and over here, so please just take a hint and get lost before you end up looking even more like a 14 year old wanker with attitude problems. The people who enjoy recording and watching demos (= playing the game) don't have to defend it to anyone, especially not your type. And I wouldn't have wasted my time on it either, if not for the fact that you are attacking someone who have done more than his share to keep a part of this community alive. Over and over again I see you posting pointless agressive crap comments here on Doomworld. Why guys like you are allowed to repeatedly post crap here at all is beyond me.

Get Bent.

And when your done with that go outside and smash some mailboxes or something. Because nobody gives a fuck about you and your bitchy attitude

So in other words you are losers with no lives for spending every minutes recording demos of yourselves playing games(very self righteous) instead of making new levels. Now I didn't say Doom sucked you illiterate idiot, I love Doom, but showing off skill in a game as old as and like Doom is stupid and cheap and you are just supporting your loserisms by trying to defend yourselves. Don't try to change the subject, there is no good point in recording demos and it is a waste of time and space, you are losers anyways.

Maybe you'll understand when you're older.

Guest Slag

"Maybe you'll understand when you're older."

Ehm, there are quite some people over 25 years old that enjoy recording and watching demos. Do you mean they are immature children? I dare to bet that the people who replied to your clueless comments are a lot older than you, because I know their ages.

If recording demos (showing skill) is a waste of time, then in fact every game or sport would be a waste of time. People play chess, a game that's about 1000 years old. In your narrow minded vision that would be 125 times more "stupid and cheap" than playing Doom.

Why play soccer matches, why play basketball, why play baseball? Because people, of every age, like to watch and play it! Same goes for games like Doom.

Now let's wait for your next clueless answer...

wavelength keeps trolling because he doesn't have the guts to go back. he erroneously believes his only way out his trollish question in the first place is forward, but he drops below and below at every thread.

he claims no one answered his question (altho several did) because no one talked his language of limited understanding. let me try to.

wavelength: people record and play demos because it is a way to communicate art and passion. watching how other doom players play is fascinating at times and very instructive. i never started to play doom decently until i saw the first plutonia demo pack back in 1997. and i still can't play decently if you take the word to a higher level.

anders, henning, adam, adam etc are widely respected great players. by insulting them you made yourself a fool forever. offer apologize and you will probably be forgiven because the doom community members heart is mostly uncorrupt for we fight demons in our hearts as well as in the games.

if you don't like watching demos at all, and find them pointless, pardon me but you have a problem. who are you to assume you have nothing to learn from watching others playing ? of course you didn't, you didn't even bother wondering about it because you are limited and self-sufficient. but we are there to help you out as soon as you will admit your mistake.

I get the feeling that mentioning some of the details wouldnt make much of a difference to Wavelength. But in case there was any question among those of us who presently have a clue: throughout the past 7 years, recording and distributing demos has been pivotal in the unification of the Doom2 scene as one worldwide effort, and it enables increases in the overall skill in the game that wouldn't be possible otherwise.

For deathmatch, when people across the world would play one another, games were recorded that documented both the players of the time and their skill abilities. Other players who saw the demos not only got to increase their own skill, but got to participate in an awareness that Doom2 was not a neighborhood-only phenomenon; it was being played, skillfully, all across the world.

Today, we have a virtual museum of games played from the beginning of doom all the way through today. This strengthens Doom2 as a scene, as it enables us to continue moving forward in our techniques and tactics. It's similar to a civilization having written language: one generation is able to create and document things, and the next generation builds upon that to make even greater creations.

I am sure it has a similar role in single player, but not being a SP expert I would tend to leave that to those who are.

I bring this up mainly because its a good thing to know (some newer players may not have had time to recognize that this trend exists). I donno if the dude who wrote the clueless comment about demos will get it, don't particularly care either. He'll either figure it out on his own, or, just be different from the rest of us.

--BahdKo

http://www.doom2.net

It's pointless to try to tell/prove you anything wavelength. You're just a troll, nothing else. It sounds like an insult but it's what I realize reading your posts. You need to be ignored and banned if the community wants you to be. Nobody takes you serious and you can kinda say what you want. It's utter bullshit.
Oh and we can always play DM, and we don't have to record if you don't want to :)