Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

Fishy Update

Swedish Fish Anthony Soto has updated his page at http://thefish.8m.com/ with a few paragraphs of some thoughts about some altercations he was in over the past few weeks, including a little row with Jive of Doom Legacy Wads and a bit of an ugly rivalry with Fredrik Johansson. He also talks a bit about his experience at BahdKo's recent lan-party, and about a brand new computer.
And finally, the fish turned 22 on August 11th, so everyone make sure to razz him about being one year older.

Oh drat. I thought Sgt. Crispy was Anthony Soto for a while. Darn you for having such similar nicknames!

No, that was me with the nickname "Night Viper". I started back in the BBS days with "Swedish Fish"...then I made my big internet debut with the nickname "Night Viper" and then I went back..

Sgt. Crispy and Swedish Fish similiar nicknames? huh??

That is so sad. Earn some respect, be a man, admit you were wrong. Everyone seems to know it except you

So he should say sorry to someone who used his levels without permission, especially as the .txt file without those levels specifically says:

"Authors may NOT use this WAD as a base to build additional WADs."

Personally, if Jive (or anyone else) optimised my wads I would be grateful, its hard work checking all the vertices to make sure they are not on the 4 grid, try it.

Do you think the extra exposure SWs wads got on DLW really did any harm. Actually I dont know the wads in question but I suspect they are nothing special.

Okay, I was wrong about the levels. Anyone who worked on the Darkening 2 cant be bad. But I still dont see what all the fuss was about. Some people just dont like being done a favour.

It's not about whether or not a favour was being done.

If the TXT file that governs the usage of the map or WAD in question specifically disallows further modifications, then no further modifications may be done, period.

I doubt if it's a good idea for me to engage in this discussion, but I simply couldn't resist.

Mystic, you talk about how you wouldn't mind if somebody improved or added stuff to your maps. However, it's SW's maps we're talking about. Swedish Fish made it clear in the .txt that people shouldn't edit and rerelease his maps. That's his decision and his decision only. End of story.

oh, on another note: /me's 22 in six weeks

heh
We made our posts simultaniously and basically with the same contents as well

=)

The point is that he should have asked permission first, instead of just doing it without asking. Therefore, it should be HIM apologising, not Swedish Fish.

A fellow Libra, I will have to be nice to you then.
I think anyone who puts that in the text file is just being daft. I could see the point if it was being passed off as the work of someone else, but I dont think that applies here. There are far too many egomaniacs going around. What harm was done, none I can think of, except maybe a bit of dented pride.

Enough of this crap. Once you put something in the public domain you cant stop anyone from doing whatever they like with it. I reckon the only people who have anything against Jive are the same people who keep having a go at Legacy. Usually fanatical zdoom users who dont realize they are allowed to use other ports too.

<<Once you put something in the public domain you cant stop anyone from doing whatever they like with it.>>

That really is complete and utter bollocks. Why do you think there's such things as shareware, freeware, etc if what you say is the case? Think before you speak.

Imagine, say, that New Line Cinema had just made and released a film. Now imagine that Fox took that film, added some "fixes" and released it themselves. Obviously that would be both morally wrong and illegal, and that is almost exactly what has happened here.

<< Usually fanatical zdoom users who dont realize they are allowed to use other ports too. >>

Actually, that's extremely hypocritical. Most ZDoom users are perfectly happy to use other ports (I regularly use JDoom, PRBoom, Skulltag, etc; I would use EDGE and Legacy more often, but as there aren't really that many levels for them there isn't much point) , whilst the Legacy users who are the ones who refuse to try anything else out, and are disrepectful of users of other ports (especially ZDoom, as you yourself have proven).

<<I reckon the only people who have anything against Jive are the same people who keep having a go at Legacy.>>

No, they are the same people who are pissed off with people stealing their and other people's work and using it without first asking permission/giving credit/both (yes, I myself am guilty of this).

And I haven't see anyone "have a go" at Legacy for several years, whereas I regularly see Legacy users insulting ZDoom and its users.

ZDoom users tend to concentrate more on ripping the s**t out of ZDoomGL...