Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

... and QDOOM 1.0!

Guest j00 equals ded

I'm sorry then. There seems to have been some confusion on what your intentions were.

I take offense to anyone who disses Doom or Quake.

Pissing around with the gloptions didn't work for me. Instead I did the -noextra thing and smoothness came.
I suppose I'm one of the few who love Quake, so this was nice. The pumping stations reminded me of the objectives of Quake2, I guess.
The only thing that reminded me of Doom was changing weapons wasn't instant like in Quake. Fanatic, you should have used a frame time of 0 on the weapon up and weapon down frames. After a year of doing Aliens doom I've picked up too many tricks!)
I have given up though on QDoom. The final showdown just pissed me right off! Sorry :)

I had a horrible problem with frame rates in the start map, and moreso in the second map. It was just unplayable. I'd shoot a dude about 128 pixels away, and the next frame he was in my face. Same went for GLEDGE as well as regular EDGE, and it was as slow no matter if I was looking right at a wall or a huge massive scene. I was about to give up and pass EDGE 1.26 off as a horrible resource hog, when I decided to warp to E1M2. Ran perfect. I warped to some other maps. They all ran perfect. Then I remembered it was the same problem I had with a Millennium map - all that damn rain killed the speed. After those first two levels, it was 1024x768 at perfect framerates all the way through.

BTW, I didn't stand a chance at the showdown. I had to iddqd after the grunts. Anybody notice you lose life from them even when they don't shoot you? That showdown was a wild map though.

Guest Fanatic

MP3 or CD not playing?

CD works fine here, had to unmute the CD from volume control tho.

Ah, I see what happened with MP3, I accidentally rem'd out the whole playlist in the lump. Passing qdoom 2 or qdoom 4 should play the CD.

Seems to be a problem with MP3 file recognition tho, will look into it. I'll provide a small patch when we get it working.

Guest Excalibur_Z

Well I finally stuck it out and played through the choppiness of E1M1, and finished the game. Very impressive =) After E1M1 it was quite smooth, and it's nowhere near as dark in OpenGL. The last battle was a trip! I was watching Shub's cage fall and I saw a red guy that resembled the Kool Aid juice man?! Hahahaha =P

Scrags are tough. Zombies are really tough. Fiends are the strongest of all. I was firing nails at the Fiends expecting them to die after a few shots but they just took the punishment. Rough stuff. Good job!

Guest Fanatic

Not yet, seems partly my fault since the playlist for MP3's were not enabled in QDOOM.WAD, but EDGE didn't like MP3 when I made one that had the playlist for them. Once we figure it out, I'll release a small patch to fix it.

QDOOM kicks ass! I'd say more but I'm not finished it yet. See ya, bitchin' stuff Fan!

QDOOM really kicks ass in level design ans gameplay... shadows when doors open, the lighting of some candles, really nice stuff! but : The Speed is ridiculous.

EDGE as Port was in my mind a bad choice. Even when i turn off Mipmapping, Shadows ect. i am not able to achieve a decent framerate on my Duron800 with a GeForce2 MX400...
Wasn't it possible to get this TC running under ZDOOM? Does EDGE offer some options QDOOM needs, which can't be brought by ZDOOM also?

Guest Fanatic

No other source port can do what EDGE can do. EDGE and DOSDoom were the reason for QDOOM existing in the first place. DDF is what got me started, and addicted to the whole project.

Speed is a weird issue, seems most systems run it just fine, and only a "few" (out of 2000+ downloads) are having serious speed issues.

The best you can do it use GLEDGE32, and make sure you have DirectX 8 along with full blown openGL drivers from your video card manufacturer. MiniGL drivers (like the ones that come with GL Quake and Quake 2) won't work well at all.

Otherwise, the rain and ambient sounds will cause some slowdown, so you can turn those off by passing -noextra from DOS.

qdoom 3 -noextra

"Does EDGE offer some options QDOOM needs, which can't be brought by ZDOOM also?"

Yeah, 3D floors :P

BTW, read my post further down about the speed, and see if different levels make a difference. Also, use the -noextra command line parameter to turn of speed hogs like rain and that.

Im getting that funny 404 error when I try to visit your page, have you moved it? I want to know more about your aliens doom

Guest Fanatic

I'll upload to CDROM.COM ASAP....

Guest Ricrob

After reading all of these comments, I think I'll wait for a later version release. : P

Why wait? While it's true QDoom is not flawless, it still has substantial merit. More than enough to justify checking it out.

I think some of us want to wait until everything is working properly so we can have the full experience of the game. I don't want to beat my way through the game while listening to Doom 2 MIDIs, then listen to the MP3 soundtrack after I've discovered everything. It would spoil the whole experience.

I apologize for that (too) quickly posting. It seems that these extras like rain 'n stuff are really some heavy FrameRateKillers...
Now it runs very fine :)

Just still to question why such... mhh... well... unshiny extras take so much speed :-?