Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

New JDoom 1.01

Jaakko Keränen has updated the JDoom site with the news of the release of version 1.01 of the JDoom source port. This new version is primarily a bugfix patch intended to correct HOM effects in certain Final Doom levels, but now it can also support MD2 HUD models. You can't just throw the ZDoomGL MD2s in there however, since it requires a different format of definition files to get the MD2 models to work correctly. More detailed instructions, as well as a download, are available from the JDoom pages.

Following the instructions given on the JDoom site for modifying the lens flares, they do look a whole lot better...

2nd or 3rd news item down on the JDoom site. Put that block of commands into autoexec.cfg and stick the file into the JDoom directory ...

lensflares: off
dynamic lighting: off
lights on sprites: off
mipmapping: N (as close to off as it gets)

there we go :)

Jdoom site says:

"flareconfig 0 tex -1"

But I couldn't find this line in the config file...

I think the sprite weapons look better, or at least better than the distorted poly chunks of ZDoomGL.

Anyone know what's the deal with/how I can disable "sprite over sprite 3d"? Like for instance if I kill a monster another monster walks on top of the body instead of thru it. I was playing thru class_ep and I had one time where a baron + imp got stuck in each other and a demon got stuck in the wall. It's causing wierd gameplay glitches..

Oh, one more question. Was there anywhere in the DEDmanager where you could change the author of the level? I saw entries for map name and number, but not the area where you could change the "id software" authorship.

Heh, yeah. Lüt sounds like he is disabling Jdoom altogether...

BTW, does anyone actually prefer those default values of like 5 lens flares of excessive size?? It's so fake and distracting I was just wondering why Jaakko chose that as the default..

I wonder when god is going to add Lens Flare to the Real Life (TM) engine, so that reality is like JDoom and all these fancy modern 3D games.

Like I said, stick that configuration block in your autoexec.cfg for jdoom and watch the pretty new lens flares that don't blind you as much. :)

Guest epZ

Heh, notice the word "lens" in lens flares? Lens flares in real life can basically mostly be seen through some sort of lens, such as a camera lens or glasses. True, the sun viewed with a regular eye does produce a lens flare, but no lens feedback (which is basically more then one lens flare). Go see for yourself; but don't look at the sun TOO long. ;-)

I prefer extreme pixellization to extreme blurs. Start a new game in Doom2 with JDoom's default config. You can't see a single white light on the ceiling in that first hallway with mip-mapping on - just a weird gaussian-esque green blur. I like my detail, thank you anyways.

And those silly blur-bars that move along the walls as you walk down hallways - ugh, worse than 256-color light-banding.

Well, I got a pretty funky vision with my eyes. cause I see lens flares all over when I walk around at night/evenings. But not these fancy schmancy stuff like in Jdoom, but the ones in Legacy.. Looks leet. I think I update my brain to support FSAA soon. :p

But honestly. Since the doom guy got his cool helmet he ought to experience Lens flares since he got a plexiglass in his face.

Guest epZ

Don't forget that if you're at night and it's foggy and/or rainy, you get jDoom-style flares. If it's clear and not rainy, then you get legacy-style flares, and even sometimes no flares at all.