Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

No Hope For Life Episode 1 Released

Guest AndrewLeaver

Like this Title better...

:)

I didn't want to hurt you with the precedent one. Just wanted to make some humor with the name of the project... since you seemed to have a lot of work on it...
well... I got no real life myself ;)

Good luck for the next episodes :)

* Julian spanks Julian

Guest UgLy

Yes boys and girls, there is No Hope For Life! Where did all those demons come from? Great work. Hard, but not impossible levels. Where's that double barrel? I know I left it somewhere. Let me know when I start rambling 'cause I ain't got no life either.

Were some of the levels released earlier? I could swear that I played most of them before.

Guest pablodictter

the episode was released before.
it wasn't complete, so I guess Andy released it as a demo or something.
The Doom Wad Station made a review of it.

some single maps were released even before the whole episode was finished.
I remember that e2m1 was at the downloads page.

Am I the only one that thinks releasing multiple versions of a wad is a bad idea? I see this happen more & more recently.

If I play this wad now, I sure won't play it again when a couple of fixes are made to it (I have such a long list of wads I still wanna play, that the time where I will play something I have already played is still far off).

Can't people take a liiitle bit longer, do some in-house testing, and only release final versions (per episode, if you have to).

Or I could just wait for the final version of course. But with many megawad projects, that could be years off or never, practically.

Personal solution for me now is to put "first version" wads on the end of my list... there are wads there that have promised a better version "soon" yet have been sitting there for 2 years or so.

Well, I support versions of wads...let me tell you why.

First, you can never anticipate everything. Trust me, I did the most cut throat testing on classic episode and I still have a list of changes I'd like to do if there ever is another version. Most of the wads were already released separately allowing two levels of testing. Still, much stuff went by unnoticed..

Second, usually user feedback (which you can't get without a full-scale release) is what anticipates changes. When people give there solid opinions it motivates me to look at the wad differently and try to accompany it. Not enough detail in classic episode??
Well...perhaps I could re-shape some dull areas...

Sometimes new versions are to fix bugs that could be potentially gameplay harmful.

Admittedly for the casual gameplayer "you" new versions might not seem like a big deal. That's why I try and re-package new versions with new levels/major changes to really entice people. And still...there are some who have not downloaded the episode in whole and still download individual levels.

Basically, if your only going to play it once in the first place there is not much I can do, and you shouldn't be concerned if there is another version in the first place. Download the first version and play it. Some players re-play the same wads and in order to ensure replay value/working order is always there the level will likely to tweak(s).

the level will likely need tweak(s).

BTW, what's this thing about people not liking megawads and only downloading single levels (Karthik/Dictter)? I don't understand that concept.

Anyways Aard, applying this to NHFL. I'm not sure how they plan to handle this. IF they knew that had something to fix before release they should have fixed it. If they are waiting for user feedback that's understandable.

When they re-release (with version 1.1 or whatever) they should not re-release just episode 1 again. To make it more enticing they should incorporate the changes and also include new levels, such as nhfl episode2.
Otherwise, only die hards will download..

Just my 2 cents.

Hm, I perfer megawads. I rarely download a single map file unless I hear something good about it or something of that effect.

I have to agree with you about releasing new versions of wads. I have released plenty of wads which I thought were fine and almost as soon as I upload them I notice things wrong or which need changed. Up untill recently I had never used opengl so I had no idea about the graphics glitches in Legacy so now I want to re-design all of my previous releases.

About the single levels/megawads. They probably have slow modems, it can take an age to download a big wad, even my 56k modem seems really slow sometimes, thats why Ive still not tried Skulltag.

Guest AndrewLeaver

I can see I should do things Different with Epsiode 2. Like I will only release one Ver of the epsiode...It may take me a year or so to get it right...but hey shit happens.

:|

personally, i wouldn't worry about versions released, nor try to look at it from a macro perspective as to what "the community" might require or request; we make wads cause we like making them, what other people think, well, that might matter some, but if that is determinant, you won't get far, most likely.

if you feel something is done or want to move on to another thing, release it, and note what you think of your release: "it's shabby, i warn you, but its got some interesting bits" "i worked my ass doing this, i think its near perfect, tell me what you think," etc.

if you feel it's not done, put it away. nothing is ever done; but at one moment, rather arbitrarily but with perspective, you can tell if something is ready to be shown.

what i dont believe in is "public beta" releases, release what you think is ready more or less (when you feel like it), but beta-testing is for a selected, small number of people that will enjoy trying the wad as it's developed.

and one last thing; the better the wad is, the more worthy of improvements and multiple releases it is, as good wads will be played more than once, while less innovative/well done ones will more probably be ignored the second time (that's why you need to keep working on a wad till you feel you have something, not worrying about future releases.. those will come if necessary/desired).

...even my 56k modem seems really slow sometimes...

Well, I guess that's because 56k *is* slow ;)

Guest AndrewLeaver

Well A simple question...

Is NHFL Good or Bad?