Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

Shoot Your Game Boy Advance

As I recall, mortal kombat had tons of blood. Why would they be so careful to not have blood now? Oh well, not like it matters.

Guest Rick Clark

Why green blood? Because of the lawsuits, I bet.

Why Green Blood?

Cause of Nintendo.

Just like Gamecube, they don't want the games on their systems to be violent!

Nintendo force them to make the blood green? Naw, I don't think so. Look at for example Perfect Dark, which has a LOT of blood, and was even distributed by Nintendo...

Well Nintendo hasn't been anti-blood for almost a decade now but people still argue with them over it.

Some of their own in-house games, like Super Metroid, had some rather violent scenes (scientists laying face down in a pool of blood). The first game that got this attention was Mortal Kombat 2, which was released on the SNES in all of it's horrible glory... because the censored prequel sold so badly they didn't want to lose all the Midway fans to the Genesis.

HOWEVER, if I remember correctly, the USA Nintendo version of MK2 was the ONLY ONE to get the violence. I saw an article in a EGM way back then that showed Johnny Cage on the bottom of the pit with a huge green blood pool around him.

Our country has the most violent culture, plus it was our game to begin with... no one else wanted the gore.

So... you could be looking at the world release build of Doom GBA. All they have to do is change some of the text between English and Japanese, French, German and Spanish and pass that thing around. The US release will be English only, and feature red blood.

That could be what they're doing.

However, it is simply more likely that id has agreed to make the blood green in exchange for a TEEN rating, because then the game will sell at least twice as many copies as it would with a MATURE rating.

If that is the case... then gibbing things with your RL/BFG (or PR on a zombie) just might be right out as well.

Capcom did the same thing to X5, since the recent violence people aren't buying those adult games as much and game developers want their products to sell.

"The first game that got this attention was Mortal Kombat 2, which was released on the SNES in all of it's horrible glory... because the censored prequel sold so badly they didn't want to lose all the Midway fans to the Genesis."

That was only partially the reason. The ESRB rating system was born somewhere around that time, so they were able to release it with the gore intact without being hounded.

"HOWEVER, if I remember correctly, the USA Nintendo version of MK2 was the ONLY ONE to get the violence. I saw an article in a EGM way back then that showed Johnny Cage on the bottom of the pit with a huge green blood pool around him."

The Japanese version had green blood, the European version had red blood.

"Our country has the most violent culture"

Irrelevant. :)

"That was only partially the reason. The ESRB rating system was born somewhere around that time, so they were able to release it with the gore intact without being hounded."

Yeah... when that came around Nintendo changed their whole image as the 'smart' gamer's choice to the badass gamers choice. It was cool seeing the Butthole Surfers Nintendo commerical that had the word 'fuck' silenced out about nine times. =)

"The Japanese version had green blood, the European version had red blood."

Well the game still sucks.

"Irrelevant. :)"

A lot of our most violent games don't sell well in Japan. Its relevant as an issue to an American game, violent no less, is going to be released soon. I wonder how well this one will sell in Japanada? =)

The whole FPS thing never caught on in Japan at all... probably because the whole PC thing never caught in in Japan. They are just not popular for some reason. =(

Guest Rick Clark

The Japanese are no strangers to video violence. Haven't you ever seen Ghost in the Shell or M.D. Geist? Japanese anime is about as bloody and as violent as it gets.

That is why the US shows are always behind the Japanese shows because they have to tone it down before they send it over here to show on TV.

I just think they don't want to be on the litigation list like id and the other game companies.

From looking at the screenshots here, it looks like it's gonna be 32X quality, with the linedef patches at least. At least the enemies turn around in this one, unlike the ones in the 32X version.

Guest cocoon

I'm more excited to be able to play that on GBA then Doom I think...

Guest Gorc

SNES DooM featured all the blood of the PC one. DooM 64 featured MORE blood than the PC one. So why doesn't the GBA version?

"So... you could be looking at the world release build of Doom GBA. All they have to do is change some of the text between English and Japanese, French, German and Spanish and pass that thing around. The US release will be English only, and feature red blood."

Yes, this sounds reasonable. This could be the reason...

Guest Mizzory

Hmm, last GBA DOOM screen shots I saw didn't have floor and ceiling textures, just 1 color, like in Wolfenstien or SNES DOOM. This might turn out to be pretty good indeed. I wonder why they didn't add an X and Y buttons, They could've fit them in there. And it will be easier to play the SNES games they will put on GBA, like BOF. And it would make it so some games would be easier to play. I guess I might have to wait for GBA2 or something.

It's ok to shoot, plasma ball, explode and BFG (and chainsaw??? - we'll have to see) your way through disgusting abominations from hell, leaving their corpses piled high (at least knee deep) just so long as they don't bleed red.

Give me a break!

As far as doom never catching on in Japan - that is an understatement. Doom and Mortal Kombat were both huge flops in the Japan. I've interviewed hundreds of 'real' Japanese gamers (they're MUCH rarer than you'd think), and not one of them had ever played DooM. I, on the other hand, have managed to find the Japanese PSX Doom and Super Nintedo Doom (and, by the way, Mortal Kombat 3) in a favorite old used shop of mine, (in Wakayama), each for 5 bucks. I consider them collector’s items - they were so hard to find. It was funny to see that the only 'localization effort' made for the Jap PSX DooM was to change the country-specific lockout code for the disc. Every other single thing was exactly the same as the Amercian game, down to the last byte. And the booklet looks like it was made by a first year student in some 'leg-up' art school for mentally retarded kids - typos, mismatched graphics (a red soul sphere, anyone?), et al... Both Doom and MK were ported by a no-name publisher "Soft Bank", presumably because of the coincidence by which they both happen to be from Midway. As a final note, it could be noted that (in some part I think to the moderate success of Goldeneye and the online game craze now fuled in Japan by more people getting off dialup and on cable) FPS geeks are popping up in the larger cities. But I still couldn't imagine a Jap LAN party.

Guest Quinnsey

Is the colour of the blood really that important to you people? Why?